A near-perfect breakdown of Davis ...

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

If anyone is wondering what Davis is like as a pick, this is probably the best breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses I've read. Just excellent scouting work ....

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...ray-lewis-or-a-modern-icarus-a-full-breakdown

And a nice counter-point:

2. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

3. Vic Turner Just Sayin

6'1 238

I'll say it...Ernie Simms?

Seems kinda small and not like the monsters they drafted in NE at LB. I know different scheme but geesh....this guy is a safety size.
  4. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

As a Lions fan that's the guy that comes to mind but I think from the GMs frame of reference Jerod Mayo is what comes to mind.

Don't know, I wanted DL but I can't deny they needed LBs.
  5. goldenlions International Playboy

At first glance, I thought who? And then after sleeping on it, I find this guy will be a no-name solid player. Hearing some things today, led me to this conclusion:

[IMG]
  6. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Lions play a different scheme than New England, don't see the comparison.

And there are not a lot of 240 pound Safeties in the league.

The guy is built like an action figure.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I think in Florida's scheme, he may have been playing a little out of position, and just the overall scheme of the Florida defense made things a little rough.

The tackles are always shooting gaps and it left JD taking on offensive tackles, and I don't know if he's built for that. For a guy his size, he's actually kind of okay at it, but his ideal role is to play a little more off the line and just focus on coverage, and chasing down the ball carrier. Weakside is probably his best fit, and next year, I could see him starting out as more of a coverage guy on passing downs; use him like you would a big safety.

... Which is great because we desperately needed a LB who can cover, obviously. Even if that's his only role his first year.
  8. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

We all know this team and most teams in the NFL are moving towards the base package being a nickle and Davis should thrive there, not to mention the fact that last season TEs killed them, if anyone ever bitched about BPA and wanted to draft for need this should please you.

Now lets see a DT who can pass rush and some talent added to DE.
  9. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

With that in mind, what if I told you Reuben Foster was listed at 6'0", 230? Does that change your opinion of Davis, Foster, or both?
  10. Strongbad Testicals... That is all.

If he is a starter for the next 5 years even if he is not a world killer I will take it. I heard that Fosters smaller size at 228 and history with shoulder/concussions issue had plenty of teams scared. If there is a Ernie Simms in the draft Fasters was him.
  11. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Foster is an elite prospect and a complete player, while Davis is mostly raw potential. It's not even a close comparison.
  12. Strongbad Testicals... That is all.

So the undersized LB with lots of Talent and speed compared to Ernie is not Foster? Davis is not as athletic as Foster but his talent and football IQ is similar and the D he played in was more complex than Foster. Foster has far more upside and down with size and injuries and character issues. Davis was just the sfe pick at a position of need that is not that flashy. Like I said if there is a Ernie in this draft it is Faster not Davis. Davis may end up as journeyman LB that does not wow but I do not see him as Ernie.

If you think Davis is Raw potential you flat out have not watched the kid play. He may not blow you away but he has been good on the feild every year. i was scared the Lions may take McMillen from Ohio State, that kid is raw potential with far less Athletically abily than Davis... And he will go somewhere in the 2nd round. A LB that can cover well is not super easy to find and Davis can cover and tackle.
  13. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

Even if he struggles in coverage he could still play a Will in base package to fill Levy's hole.
  14. Strongbad Testicals... That is all.

The kids may bottom out and be Paris Lennon. But with his cover skills he could be bobby Wagner or Villma. In a couple years will will know where it is heading. last year we would have killed to have paris Lennon on the team.
  15. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Ernie was the kind of guy who was a great athlete, but he just mis-read too many plays and got sucked in on a lot of play actions, misdirections, etc. And Davis often suffers from the same issues.

Plays like this one are far too common for him:
    https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/C-bj0TmUMAAZKAc.mp4

16. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Quinn has drafted well thus far.

So I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
  17. Murtyle American Destroyer

If someone tells you Davis made a ton of mental mistakes immediately discount their opinion of him. They don't know what they're talking about. His only potential flaw is health. Granted whenever he was hurt it was someone flying into his legs at full speed, but still.

If you want a good comparison, think Jerod Mayo
    Huntermsu likes this.
  18. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Quinn says Davis will be playing MLB.
  19. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

And Reeves Maybin is the Will LB. Killebrew is the Money backer covering TEs. Whitehead will be on special teams where he belongs.
  20. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Don't have to prove nothing to me I luv the kid. He is going to be good.
  21. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

That was a really good fake the whole DL moved in the wrong direction.
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

The whole DL aren't first-round picks, and they're not the QB of the defense.

Any game you choose to watch, he gets sucked in on that stuff. Because he's over-aggressive and doesn't take time to read/diagnose before he reacts. Reuben Foster on the other hand gets sucked in on far fewer. Same deal with Reeves-Maybin. He just has better instincts.
  23. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I guess Davis is a bust, damn. Any chance he may improve Rusty or is he terminal. We can just get rid of him before the damage is done. I think there are 5 or 6 more threads you can post that Davis is an idiot and Reeves Maybin will save the day. Go get em Rusty.
  24. tepod2001 Active Member

My concern with Foster (beside attitude and shoulder) is that he got to play "clean" at linebacker because he had 1st or second round talent in every spot in front of him. His job was made easier because of the talent around him. Worries me if he will be as good when the playing field is close to even.
  25. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Foster plays for the 49ers. I hope he sucks so we can beat the shit out of them.