Caldwell is toast

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by badnews3123, Dec 10, 2017.

1. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

With all the leaks this morning about the extension and his job not being secure if Lions miss playoffs, which became very likely after Thursday game. No doubt FO is starting to push it out there.
  2. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I certainly hope so, add to that Quin and Tate's comments this week and it looks like the locker room has had enough as well.
  3. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Maybe, I thought what they said could be directed at say OL or position groups/coaches too. One thing Caldwell has always had was the locker room. If he’s lost that though....
  4. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Possible but who supposedly hires those position coaches? others seasons they would mention the head coach or Caldwell by name when talking about struggles and who isn't to blame. But it's possible that I am a just thinking wishfully.
  5. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Don’t think player opinion matters anyway. They miss the playoffs, which they will, he’s gone. No surprise this info is getting leaked now.

Just hope Quinn gets a solid hire, he’s really seen no heat in any of this and should be.
  6. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

If Caldwell is toast you all know McDaniels is going to get the gig, or perhaps Patricia
  7. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I'm willing to give him one more year to get results. He inherited a dumpster fire. I know we haven't seen the results, but I did like his moves in the offseason for the most part. A lot of things didn't go right, the biggest of which was Decker going down and Lang and Wagner not really panning out (whether being banged up or just not that effective). Rusty can go on and on about not having a pro-bowl caliber backup behind Decker, but that's just horseshit.

I also think Quinn has wanted McDaniels all along and ownership forced him to keep Caldwell. I really hope it's not Patricia as while he's a good defensive coach, I see him more in the Schwartz/Marinelli mold of not head coach material. Although I suppose the same argument could be made against McDaniels.
  8. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

He definitely did not inherit a dumpster fire. That’s absurd.

He does deserve more time though. Think he’s gotten off a little easy so far though.
  9. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I agree.

He inherited a bag of dog shit.

There he was, just sitting in his living room, minding his own business, when Martin Mayhew lights a bag of dogshit on fire on his front porch, and then knocked on the door.
  10. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

If inheriting the Lions a couple years ago is dogshit, I’d hate to know what some of these other teams GM’s inherited are.
  11. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

If you're a new GM there's a good chance you inherited a pile of poo. Quinn inherited a 7-9 team that was managed by 2 of the worst executives in the history of the NFL. Not sure what you're getting at here.
  12. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

He inherited a team with a franchise QB and a core group of players that many are still some of the best on the roster.

I love the 180 for Quinn from some on here. Mayhew never got the he inherited a dumpster fire from a lot of you and he literally did, but Quinn inherits a 7-9 team with solid group of core players and more cap room than the team had had in years and he got a dumpster fire.

The stuff Quinn gets a pass on on here for some is hiliariois because Mayhew would be buried.

And I don’t think Quinn should be buried, but he takes almost no heat at all.
  13. littlekaps Member

I think Quinn has had 2 drafts/Free Agency Periods. The criticism of Tabor may be too soon but the free agent signings of Lang/Wagner seems to be warranted as these are veterans.

Mayhew had 8 seasons. Things didn't get better. Quinn definitely should be questioned - especially with our running back situation. The constant theme is "offensive line, offensive line" but which back do we have would be a 100 yard rusher for Dallas? Jacksonville? Pittsburgh? We lack talent.

Quinn has 2-3 more years before he feels real heat I think. Mayhew inherited a dumpster fire and got 8 years. A bit early for Quinn heat.
  14. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I can't speak for others, but I definitely gave Mayhew some leeway early on. I think part of the issue with Mayhew though was that he was Millen's protoge, so I think because of that a lot of people (myself included) had much less confidence in him ever turning things around. Quinn at least came from the outside from a winning organization so naturally he will get a little more leeway.
  15. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Yeah I don’t remember you giving Mayhew a lot of leeway. Everyone knew why he didn’t get a lot of leeway, but still the inconsistency is funny.

Mayhew inherited an actual dumpster fire and built a middle of the pack team, not good enough. Quinn inherited a middle of the pack team and they remain, pretty much a middle of the pack team. I agree he needs more time, but he’s been pretty Teflon for 2 seasons.

And while I agree with the coming from a winning organization vs internal hire from historically bad group. That winning organization his been a little spotty in terms of success from FO and coaches when they’ve left.
  16. moridin Member

I think this offseason is going to be huge for Quinn. Either he continues to have solid offseasons (which I still think this past offseason was ok) or he fails, again, to get a RB.

I think the Caldwell situation will be telling. I don't care what his record with the Lions is, he is a failure. He has cost the Lions games. He has horrible clock management. This team is constantly unprepared for games. His get a lead, go super conservative attitude hurts this team. He allowed 9 men on the field for a pivotal 3rd down play vs the Ravens.

Barring a miraculous playoff berth and a playoff win, if Quinn doesn't clear out the coaching staff, I for one will start to question him. Either he is not smart enough to see how much Caldwell is hurting this team, or he doesn't have the authority. Either way, it is damning of him and this organization.
  17. TheDane Well-Known Member

I never understood why the Bears fired Lovie after a 10-6 season. I will absolutely understand why Caldwell gets fired even if we do go 10-6, and Quinn proved he didn't know this team at all after FA and the draft last year.
  18. TechLion Super Genius

I always have a problem with firing the head coach when the front office is the real reason why the Lions continue to fail year after year. You CAN NOT put all your eggs into one basket with a mediocre player and expect to field a complete team. The Lions fate is sealed for the next five years! No money = Not enough good players!

Having said that, the good news is that the Lions are playing a bunch of shitty teams the next three weeks. The bad news is 2 of 3 are away.
  19. TheDane Well-Known Member

We have plenty of money even after paying Stafford.
    How is the front office not responsible for getting NFL running backs in here?
    How is the front office not responsible for the Tabor pick?
    Our record on the road is better than our home record.
  20. goldenlions International Playboy

Techlion just showing he knows nothing about the game because he doesn’t follow it anymore.

Granted, the home game thing is a puzzler, but the Lions lost to teams at home that are combined 38-14.
  21. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

And he's not even right about the schedule. 2 of the remaining 3 are at home.
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I don't think some people's memories are what they used to be.

Dementia.

Maybew left us with pure garbage with a ton of dead cap, and I mean a shit ton of dead cap. And yea, you can count Calvin in there, as it was Mayhew's idea to pay a receiver that much, even though it's been proven we're no worse off without him. Add in the fact that the contracts of the majority of his offensive line were all set to expire at the same time. Two major franchise-type defensive tackles both gone with only an over-the-hill veteran to take their spot. Very few actual draft picks contributing (none from the second round).

I suppose we had Stafford and Slay. That's at least something.

But yea, he took an abominable mess and turned it in to a team that managed to be decent every-other-season. Decent. Disaster. Decent again, followed by disaster.

If this team manages above .500 it will be the first time in as long as I can remember that we've managed that feat 2 years in row. Granted that's a pretty hollow thing to celebrate, but it's far better than we've seen since ... I've been alive (Yea, even Fonte's teams were on-again-off-again).
  23. goldenlions International Playboy

Since 94-95 seasons.
  24. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

If the team goes back to back winning seasons, the core of that team will be largely Mayhew guys.

Again, he inherited an average team and you have arguably a slightly above average team now.

But man he didn’t have two guys on rookie deals contracts expire at the same time...despite those contracts being part of the CBA.(By the way Lang and Glagow’s contracts are both up in 2019, guess Quinn fucked that up)
  25. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

If by core you mean two guys ... I guess. Quin's been limited by the cap and still managed to make some incremental improvements and at least tread water. Had to spend a boatload just to field an NFL offensive line because the cupboard was just bare. Had to spend way too much on a receiver the year previous because again, cupboard completely bare.

Next, he'll be building the defensive line from pure nothing-ness because ... two first-round draft picks at D-tackle, another at D-End, and zero to show for any of it. Not even a developmental prospect. Just nothing but a bunch of salaries we've been eating.

We'll see what he does next year with some actual cap space. Mayhew was a fucking disgrace. Dislodge thy head from thy rectum.