Caldwell is toast

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by badnews3123, Dec 10, 2017.

1. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, 2.

Stafford, Slay, Quin, Tate, Diggs, Riddick, Whitehead, Ansah.

He had to spend to field an OL? You know these guys don’t stay on rookie deals forever, eventually you’ll have to pay Glasgow and Decker to keep them, too. He chose to move on from Warford and Reiff, which is fine, but both are having success elsewhere.

Marvin Jones isn’t even in the top 20 in WR contracts probably. I’d hardly say that overpaid. Probably right about in line with what he should be getting.

And how has he been limited by cap? He had close to 20 million in ‘15, which was middle of the pack and he had 35 million last off-season. Poor guy. How can a GM manage with that.
  2. TechLion Super Genius

I find it amazing that no matter how much money a team allocates to one single player, most fans really believe the team has a ton of money to either sign new or existing top tier players. You simple do not understand that even though the Lions have money to spend, they have less money than teams that are fiscally responsible. Why it is hard for you to understand that they are at a cap disadvantage. Again, I can not use logic with illogical people.

The Lions are not getting value from Stafford's contract and will simple run out of money faster than most teams. They are basically fucked and most of you are too stupid to understand that. I warned you this would happen time and time again but you guys can't figure it out. You keep talking about x's and o's when the real problem is the cap.
  3. TechLion Super Genius

So your implying that since I was wrong about the schedule, that is some way means I am wrong about the cap?
  4. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

The Lions have the 10th most cap space in the NFL next season Tech.

If only they were as fiscally responsible as Browns and Niners though, they could have over a 100. I mean look at the success those teams are having.
  5. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Yea, like I said. Two. And a couple free agents, a few second-stringers, and another first-round bust.

That's not a nucleus.
  6. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

At least he’ll have cap space this year and not have to struggle through the poverty he had last 2 years.
  7. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

Pretty close. The OL was garbage. RBs were and are garbage, LBs are garbage. Lots to fix yet. With Swanson having another concussion already I'd look to draft or sign stud LG and move Glasgow to center and get what we can for Swanson. I'd also offer Austin the HC job and have Quinn pick an OC, Caldwell and Cooter stink.
    Draft 1 of 2 with first round pick,
    Stud DE or top tier RB.
    Next draft someone to fill role of Ngata if he doesn't come back. I'd rather have him back to at least groom his replacement for one year.
    LB Worrilow and Whiteshit can go elsewhere. Davis and Maybin- Reeves are starters with veteran in FA to fill other spot.
    TE resign Fells, cut Ebron. Making Fells and Roberts 1-2.
    OL let Robinson challenge fo a starting spot on right side of line. Whoever he beats out is backup or traded .
  8. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Receivers were garbage, TEs were garbage, DTs garbage, DEs garbage, CBs outside of Slay below average, Safeties outside of Glover average.

What exactly does that leave?
  9. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

You know I agree with your general philosophy about the cap, the issue is you usually don't have all your facts straight. Stafford's cap hit this year was actually less than 10%. Where it gets really dicey is years 2 & 3 when it jumps to over 15%, which is when Stafford needs to start playing at an elite level to earn such a high percentage. And since in 9 seasons he's never done that I have my doubts.

I expressed my concerns about the Stafford contract when it happened. And now that I'm seeing how much of an overhaul the defense is gonna need, not to mention the number of older players on offense that will need to be replaced in a couple years, I have even less confidence now than I did then.
  10. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

Based on current projections, we will finish 10-6 and not make the playoffs.

In order to make the playoffs with current projections our best bet is Carolina to lose 2-3 where they are projected to only lose 1-3.

The other option is Atlanta losing 2-3 remaining games, where they are projected to only lose 1-3 remaining games.

15: Carolina is at home vs the Packers. Panthers are projected to win but I think the Packers have a shot.
    Atlanta is at Tampa. No way Tampa wins that.

16: Tampa at Carolina. No way Carolina loses
    Atlanta is at NO and are expected to lose.

17: Carolina is at Atlanta. Atlanta is projected to win.

My conclusion, if Green Bay beats Carolina this week and we win the next 3 games, we will make the playoffs. If Green Bay does not win, or we do not win the next 3 games, we do not make the playoffs.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nfl-predictions/games/
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine
  11. goldenlions International Playboy

Lions need to win out, first and foremost, they don’t the whole thing is moot.

Carolina won a spot in the playoffs by beating Minnesota, imho.

I see NO and Carolina trying hard to win that division. So I expect them both to win out, which will eliminate Atlanta and Green Bay.

Seattle loses one game, they are out.

This is probably the only likely scenario for the Lions to make it in.

Realistically, I see NO winning the South division, and Carolina and Seattle/Rams with the wildcard.
  12. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I think coaching is the problem.

This team goes into too many games starting slow getting behind and then has to catch up. I contribute this to poor game planning especially on offense.

Our running game is an abortion. With the OL players (Swanson needs replaced) we have, I contribute the poor performance on horrible blocking schemes and defenses predicting the run based on our Cooter's play calling trends. We also need an RB with good vision that can run faster than a 4.5 40 yard dash and has the strength/quickness to break/miss at least one tackle on any given play (I believe Quin fucked this up last draft).
  13. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

How in the fuck does that account for our abysmal 3rd-and-short percentage?

And abysmal might be too kind of a word. It's the worst I've seen in my entire life of watching NFL games. Pretty sure our 0-16 team was better at falling forward for a yard than this one. In those situations, it ain't about coaching. It's just lining 11 guys up against the other 11 guys, and beat them off the ball. The offense should always have the advantage since they know the snap count.

Hence, the league average running the ball on 3rd/4th and short is 63%. Lions are 29%.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...-struggles-highlight-run-game-woes/107739284/
  14. TechLion Super Genius

In past posts I said that the cap is not going to affect the Lions this year and next year they will be in decent shape but after that they are completely fucked. This was the year they needed to do something big and it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Next year I don't see them improving enough to make a run at the Super Bowl. So after the 2018 season is over the Lions won't be able to keep up with other teams in terms of cap space and will be stuck with a drastically over paid QB. The only legitimate chance the Lions have of doing anything is next year then it is all over!! Like I said the Lions are pretty much fucked.
  15. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Trying to project cap situation in 20-19-20 is stupid. So many factors that can’t be accounted for now.
  16. TechLion Super Genius

One big, massive, huge factor is that the Lions will have one of the biggest, if not the biggest single player cap hits of any team in the NFL in a couple of years. Now if you factor in that the player taking up all that cap money is way underperforming, you have a recipe for a disaster. This isn't rocket science! What is so hard for you to understand?
  17. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

It’s possible some other players will sign monster deals in the next couple seasons and use Stafford’s deal as the benchmark. You know like what happens every time a new monster deal is signed.

By the way, what’s the salary cap going to be in 3 years? Who’s on the roster? Predict the future for me.
    Schuxu likes this.
  18. TechLion Super Genius

First of all it doesn't matter if the cap goes up because it goes up for everyone and the Lions will still be at a disadvantage. Secondly, it is not really that hard to predict the future because the Lions will have the same QB and the same cap hits for many years to come. That means it will be harder for them to resign their top players and will not have the pick of the litter in FA. The only hope for the Lions is if they absolutely KILL it in the draft and because of parity, that will be very difficult.
  19. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Caldwell is not going anywhere this year, but next year I suspect we have to make a playoff run or he's gone.
  20. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

HB is probably right but damn is it depressing...
  21. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

If Caldwell coaches us to 3 winning seasons in a row, then I believe that will be something that's never been done on a Lions team in the superbowl era.

I'm not demanding playoffs every year. If we manage winning records on a consistent basis -- instead of this "on-again-off-again" stuff -- we'll play our fair share of playoff games.
  22. TheDane Well-Known Member

23. Schuxu Well-Known Member

24. TheDane Well-Known Member

We get bang for the buck with our WR's. And while it's true that Stafford is getting paid, in 3 more years he might not even be in the top 10. The real thief right now is Carr.
  25. Felix True Fan

Hmmm...have you watched any games this year? Other than a game or three, Stafford has been pretty legit this year, last 2 years actually. Not sure if you arent paying attention, still stuck on this whole Stafford sucks thing or just stupid, but he has improved dramatically the past couple seasons...he is a legit top 10 QB now, and is only 29...he still has room to grow...