CJ Says no one has reached out...

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by littlekaps, Jan 13, 2018.

1. littlekaps Member

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/01/calvin_johnson_said_the_detroi.html#incart_river_home

Where do I start with this? You signed a contract and walked away from it and under the terms of said contract, you were supposed to pay back a portion of your bonus. In this case, you had to pay back $1M. The question about whether or not the Lions should have is what some folks' craw is up.

Yes, they should have asked for the money. No, there isn't a fence to mend. You signed it, they asked for it back.

You didn't win a Division with us.
    You disappeared many times when the games were on the line.
    You never won a playoff game with us.
    Great Players find a way.
    You didn't.

Just go away.
  2. TheDane Well-Known Member

He left when he could have stayed and totally screwed our cap.

Our front office is a fucking joke...

Hanson made 32 of 36 field goals in his final NFL season, but he dealt with a painful foot injury late in the year and decided to retire when the Lions refused to budge from their take-it-or-leave-it off of a minimum salary benefit deal worth around $1 million.
    The going rate for a veteran kicker like Hanson at the time was just north of $2 million, and Hanson acknowledged Thursday that he would have returned for a 22nd season had he still been under contract for 2013.
  3. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Billionaires vs. millionaires over comparative pocket change, I watch football for the game not some pre game circle jerks over the past.
  4. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Haha! Megatron my ass.

Try Mega Special Snowflake.
  5. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I always thought Calvin was overrated as a player and now he is just embarrassing himself. Please go away.
  6. TheDane Well-Known Member

This team didn't deserve him, he's a first round HOF player...
  7. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Neither do the fans. He does not owe Detroit a damned thing.
  8. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Nor do the Lions owe him a damn thing.
  9. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Do you mean first ballot? If so, I'm not sure. The voters are usually tough on the WRs. Terrell Owens was a better player and more productive than Calvin and he's not even in yet after 2 years of eligibility.
  10. TheDane Well-Known Member

No one liked Terrell, it shouldn't be based on that but it is. He had a couple of years left in him and no one would give him a shot as well.
  11. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Given that he walked away so young, and has zero playoff wins, I doubt he gets in first ballot. The argument could be made that he might never get in if you look at some of the other receivers still not in (what about Isaac Bruce who was eligible 3 years ago).
  12. TheDane Well-Known Member

They will give CJ the benefit of the doubt because of where he played.
  13. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I could see Calvin being first ballot, because he’ll have the argument that he was the best when he played. A guy like Isaac Bruce can’t make that argument.
  14. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Contracts exist for a reason

If you sign and it costs you money it sucks...but that's business
  15. TheDane Well-Known Member

You're right Vic, he should have stayed and eaten the fuck out of the cap space and kept the $18 million or so he would have gotten and just got out of his lazy boy on game day.
  16. goldenlions International Playboy

Or maybe, he should have retired and not bitched about having to pay back money that the Lions had every right to try to get back. But no, he got the footballs so he should just get it all..because...reasons.
  17. Unfortunately CJ has shown his true self in this behavior. A contract, is a contract. He signed it, and chose to not fulfill the term. The signing bonus is prorated to cover the term; thus when he decided to enter retirement he has a responsibility to refund the team for the value of bonus paid for the remaining term. His sour grapes position, was self induced. He, as others were complicit in the Lions inability to obtain depth on the roster, because his contract limited available cap space. That is the reality, whether he likes it or not.
  18. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

He doesn't deserve HOF.

For a guy who was supposedly so elite, he had fuck all to do with whether or not the team actually won games.

I liked Herman Moore better. And Germaine Crowell even better still.
  19. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

None of them (including CJ) had that "win at all costs" attitude. Same problem Barry had. If you think about it, that is pretty much the mantra of the Detroit Lions of the last 50+ years. It starts with ownership.
  20. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Yeah not likr Calvin played with his finger pointing in a different direction.

What the fuck is a “win at all cost” attitude?
  21. bogartin Active Member

Some of you need to stop acting like CJ was a common entity. He was a star, whether you're upset that he retired or not. Many of you, and many Lions' fans in general, said the same shit about Barry.

A quick reminder about CJ's career:

NFL records:

Most receiving yards in a single season: 1,964 yards (2012)
    Seasons with 1,600 yards receiving (2, tied with Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, and Antonio Brown)
    Most consecutive games with at least 100 receiving yards (8)
    Most consecutive games with at least 10 receptions (4)
    Most 100 receiving yard games in a single season (11, tied with Michael Irvin)
    Most receiving yards in a five-game span (861 yards)
    Most receiving yards in a six-game span (962 yards)
    Fastest to 10,000 NFL receiving yards (115 games)
    Fastest to 11,000 NFL receiving yards (127 games)

Lions' Records:

Most receiving touchdowns in a single season: 16 (2011)
    Most receiving touchdowns, career: 83
    Most receiving yards, career: 11,619
    Most receptions in a single game: (14, 10/27/2013 vs. Dallas, tied with Herman Moore)
    Most receptions, career: 731
    Most seasons with 10+ receiving touchdowns: 4
    Most career 70+ yard receptions: 8
    Most games with multiple touchdowns in one half: 12
    Most receiving yards in a single game in regulation (329). Johnson's 329 receiving yards are the 2nd most overall in NFL history behind Flipper Anderson (336).

With that said, he left. Whether it was business or personal, the Lions required him to pay back money he owed. Same thing happened with Barry when he had to pay almost $2 million back to the Lions. My issue is that he has been helping WRs around the league NOT in a Lions' uniform. Marvin Jones has been working with Randy Moss and plans to do so again this offseason, and I haven't heard anyone on the team state that they've worked with CJ inside or outside of the facility. I don't think it's fair to criticize the Lions for "not reaching out" while you're actively helping the opposition.
  22. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Hear! Hear! Excellent Post.

23. Most would agree that CJ was very talented, and played through injury. I agree, that mending fences with a player who helps out players from other teams, rather than his alma mater should not expect a red carpet from ownership.
  24. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

It's not playing through injury (pretty much everyone in the NFL does that). Certain players just have that winning attitude and a passion for the game that goes deeper than everyone else. Those are the guys that win championships, or at least put their team in the best position to do so. It's probably fair to say that just being on the Lions will suck the passion right out of you so maybe it's not their fault.
  25. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Sorry Barry but that’s a bunch of bullshit.

Can’t stand sports platitudes.