CJ Says no one has reached out...

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by littlekaps, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I think the relationship between CJ and Lions was icy way before he started mentoring other players. I just don't understand "He is the enemy" attitude on this board.
  2. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Call it what you want, but Barry admitted he never had a real passion for football. CJ all but did as well (though it was later in his career). Retiring in the prime of your career is a pretty big indicator as well.
  3. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

“But football was my passion.”

Calvin’s own words from players tribune.

You don’t make it to the levels those guys did “if you have no passion for the game”.

And trying to save your body so you can finish life comfortably, doesn’t mean you don’t have passion for the game.
  4. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I never said "no" passion. I said, "certain players just have a passion for the game that goes deeper than everyone else." It's MY OPINION that Calvin wasn't one of those players. And all other things being equal (and in some cases not), I'll take the guy with more passion for his craft. And keep in mind a lot of these guys lose some of their passion once they get to a certain point financially. CJ would have been the greatest WR of all time if he had the passion of a Jerry Rice or Terrell Owens. Tom Brady's not the most physically gifted QB, but there might not be a player in the history of the game more passionate or intense than he is, which is what makes him arguably the GOAT.
  5. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

How many of the great QB’s are physically gifted? It’s a stupid comparison.

What a stupid argument. What about Calvin showed you he didn’t have enough passion? He didn’t throw his helmet on sidelines? Criticize teammates?
  6. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

You're the one turning it into an argument. I just stated my OPINION that I never thought Calvin had that "it" factor that the truly great ones have. Just a vibe I always got from him, be it his lack of intensity, body language, always seeming to come up just short in big situations (or fumbling them away). I said after the 2012 season we should have traded him. Most people laughed at me at the time but looking at it now it would have been a brilliant move (though I'm sure Mayhew would have flubbed whatever draft picks we got).

You're free to disagree.
  7. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Because I can’t ignore the utter stupidity of the argument. Basically Calvin didn’t criticize his QB and have temper tantrums like TO, so he didn’t have the “it” factor. Or fight a kicking net like OBJ. Yeah he really shrunk in the playoff game against New Orleans or the Dallas game he caught 2 fourth quarter TD’s, one being the game winner and the other being over 3 defenders. If only he had a little more “it” factor maybe they could have thrown in all 11 guys on D.

No way in hell I’d ever make an argument an elite player who spent most of his career being the best at what he did, lacked heart, it, desire or any other stupid shit like that because of the extremely small glimpse I saw through a TV on Sundays.
  8. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Okay.
  9. TechLion Super Genius

CJ was a great WR and had heart! The issue was never how good CJ was as a player. The issue is that wide receivers should never make that kind of money because it is not a key position in football in terms of winning games. WR has always been a very glamorous position and fantasy football made it worse. The truth of the matter is paying WR's big money doesn't correlate to wins, it creates the opposite effect and keeps many teams like the Lions in the gutter.

CJ did not help the Lions win because of his ridiculous contract. You guys are so blinded by big name players and QB's, you don't understand how the cap formula really works. If the Lions keep over paying receivers and average QB's they will not win. You dummies keep pulling up available cap space but you have to look at it long term. The only way a team can win when their QB has a contract like Stafford is if he becomes a Tom Brady. I am sorry to disappoint you simpletons but Stafford will never be that good. It is impossible!
  10. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

If you want to look for indications that he didn't have the passion or swagger that big-time, marquee players have ... look no further than his on-field accomplishments.

He will go down as not just one of the most freakishly athletic football players ever to play the game. He'll go down as one of the most freakishly athletic humans ever to play a professional sport. Period. If he truly had a burning passion to be the best, he could have tap-danced his way to every record ever set by a receiver. Instead, he experienced the usual struggles most really good receivers struggle with. Making him just another really good receiver. Not a game-changer.

In order for his salary to net a return on investment, he needed to be a player that defenses would have to scheme for. In order for our offensive schemes to work, his presence needed to result in 6 in the box on a consistent basis. And it didn't. There were no "Calvin rules." Defenses could still handle us using vanilla packages. Our running backs saw no extra daylight.

It's telling. When you break it all down, he was just an average receiver in a freakishly athletic body. His success had everything to do with his big body and athletic traits. And Z-E-R-O to do with anything going on between his ears or burning in his belly.
  11. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

12. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Marvin Jones:

[IMG]
  13. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

14. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

15. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

That must be an example of CJ's lack of intensity trying to fight through three tacklers and lunging for the endzone?
  16. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

17. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

The fact that CJ went straight from Football to dancing around like a little fairy says it all.

He's a typical effeminite millennial soy boy who'd rather complain about his poor, hurt pinky finger than suit up and play a violent sport.

Real football players like Dick Butkus, Chris Spielman, or Conrad Dobler made wishes and ate guys like CJ for dinner.

18. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Oh Rusty you're so edgy...
  19. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I'm one of the most famous and successful internet trolls every to troll.

You should be honored to have been trolled by me through the years. It can be like your brush with greatness.
  20. TechLion Super Genius

Yeah but guys like Chris Spielman had to play like that because they were not great athletes. If Chris Spielman wasn't a complete animal he wouldn't have played a game in the NFL.
  21. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Someone's head is getting big, Blog will always be number one in my heart.
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Fuck that. Blog was a Rusty Hilger cover band. He was so jealous of my Ninja Troll skills. The greatest troll this site has ever known is myself, followed closely by TechLion. He's a retired troll though.

To this day, I'm the only human who's ever successfully trolled Pinterest. And AirBNB. Yes, AirBNB has a discussion feature, and I managed to get two owners of vacation homes convinced they needed to pull their units off AirBNB due to reports of negligent overuse of pot pouri spray.

Had two middle-age cat ladies on Pinterest convinced there was an underground Chinese crime ring making copies of their crafts, and selling them on the black market as a drug money-laundering operation.

I've even trolled myself I'm such a skilled Ninja troll.
  23. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

And you're bragging about this why?
  24. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Because the experience of being free to crush the souls of slimy, whiny, and vile people polluting the world with their stupidity is a fun and liberating experience. And an altruistic aim for the benefit of mankind.