Congratulations to Slay

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Felix, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Felix True Fan

ProBowler...well deserved
  2. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

Yep. I'd add Glover as well.
  3. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

It's really a shame with how good Slay and Quin have been this year that the defense overall has been complete shit. I guess it just confirms what most of us already knew - if you don't have a good line, you ain't shit.
  4. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

It really highlights just how terrible the rest of this defense is, and yeah this defensive line might be the worst Lions unit in my 20 year memory of Lions teams.
  5. Felix True Fan

Agreed...as soon as Ngata went down, terrible....
  6. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

The secondary as a group has been pretty good. Diggs was having a good season in the slot and now has been playing well since they moved him to Safety.

Can deal with LB’s, at least there is youth there and Whitehead has been ok, but...

DL has been dogshit.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Anyone who subscribes to the theory that games are won and lost in the trenches ... has to hand it to Stafford, Slay and the coaching staff for making the most out of this pile of dog shit.

A winning season (likely) with this mess. Stafford, Slay, Quin, Jones Jr. and Tate.

Five players pretty much solely responsible for 9 or 10 wins (likely).

Say what you will about Caldwell and the coaching staff. They prepare the team to run a 2-minute drill. When they're behind and need to score, they seem to find ways more often than not. At the start of the season, I figured this team would be good for 9-10 wins tops if guys like Swanson or Decker spent more than half the season injured. And it looks like they'll probably manage at least 9, so this team met my most optimistic projections.

With Suh and Calvin finally off the books this team is poised to move a couple steps forward with a good offseason. I haven't felt this level of optimism since that offseason in, I believe it was 1992. Of course, that optimism was promptly wiped out after our two stud, all-pro guards went down due to death and paralysis.

But still .....
  8. TheDane Well-Known Member

Stafford is top 5 in completion percentage and YPC. If he can get his turnovers down that makes him an elite QB. Our rushing D is #16, but that's due to better play from the back 7. The D overall stepped up with 27 takeaways, #3 in the league. Unfortunately Staffords int's and fumbles negated much of that and our +/- ratio is at +6, still good enough for 8th in the league and a big reason for being 8-6.

Special teams is probably the biggest factor in our record this year. Agnew and Prater have been money and our coverage teams have been really good. The reality is that if we can fix either the O or the D in the offseason this is probably a 12 win team. In the end, I believe fixing the D is most critical. How much of our early problems were because we didn't have Decker and a healthy OL? If we get a center in the draft and a decent rotation RB, go D the rest of the way this team has the parts and pieces to easily be 12-4. This also assumes that Tabor lives up not necessarily to where he was drafted, but his ability to be solid in the rotation.
  9. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

You guys are a lot more optimistic than I am. I see a defense that for the most part needs a complete overhaul. You've got Slay and a couple promising young guys like Killebrew, Davis, Tabor, Zettel that may or may not pan out. Quin is great but he'll be 32 next year so I expect him to fall off pretty quickly.

On offense it's not that much better. Tate probably only has 1 or 2 more good years in him. It's looking like Lang and Wagner aren't who we hoped they'd be. Riddick is great for what he is. I still think Abdullah can be a quality back, but we'll probably never see what he's truly capable of behind this line and with this scheme. Jones has been a pleasant surprise this year and is still fairly young, so that's good. Golladay has shown some promise. Stafford is what he is...superb at times, but wildly inconsistent. This team doesn't have the pieces around it to make up for his inconsistencies, and I don't know if it ever will. This team's window was probably 2014 when we had a top 3 defense.
  10. TheDane Well-Known Member

Actually, when you look around the league we aren't that different than most teams with re to their pool of talent. It's a QB driven league and we have a top 5 player there. I ain't worried...