Cooter Leaving for Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by bigdogchris, Nov 16, 2017.

1. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/11/lions_oc_jim_bob_cooter_sidest.html#incart_river_index

I wouldn't mind if he left. The offense sparked when he first took over but they look far too predictable now. 1-10 ... they are running a draw.
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

He’s not going to Tennessee. That’s a lazy connection to get a story.

And the Lions are 10th in offensive points per game, despite Sunday being the first time they’ll have their complete set of offensive starters on the field this season.
  3. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

While I do agree in certain situations Cooter is too predictable (like on 3rd or 4th and short), the whole "always runs on first down" thing is way overblown. As of a couple weeks ago they had more passes on first down than runs (and it wasn't even that close).
  4. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

And on down and short situations it’s far more about execution than anything else.
  5. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

To me, he just seems like the type who makes a good coordinator but not really head coach material.

Reminds me of Mike Martz, in the sense that he's a really good X's and O's guy. Good at developing a quarterback. But ultimately, he's kind of pass happy and I don't think he has a very good understanding of the running game. Who even knows how well he would handle the media, what kind of game manager he'd make, or what kind of assistants he would hire.

Only reason I could see a team hiring him is based on how well he coached a few quarterbacks and his knowledge of a particular system that's well-regarded mostly because Peyton Manning played under it. Does he command respect? Is he a leader?
  6. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

That's part of it, but when you have a history of running it on 3rd or 4th and 1, and you come out in an I formation with your LB lined up as the FB, you're not fooling anyone and you put the offense in a position to fail. He just has no creativity in those situations. Or no balls. Not sure which one.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

If you're lining a linebacker up at fullback, that screams "no blockers" to me.

But it certainly does not say "lack of creativity" to me.
  8. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

How often has that happened though? And when you do run that, it’s basically saying we trust that we can get a yard by lining up and beating you. Something that an offense should be able to do.

And I don’t have the numbers, but I’d be willing to bet most team run on 3rd and 4th and short, they’re just more successful so the OC doesn’t get questioned.

I also remember people bitching endlessly when the Lions pass on 3rd and short.
  9. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Keep in mind it's not just running the ball...it's the play design.
  10. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I know. And how often have they lined up in I formation with a defensive player at FB?

The Lions are one of the best offensive teams in the league in 3rd and anything but short. Does Cooter just stop being creative in those situations? But is creative enough in any other 3rd down situation? Or are the Lions a team that struggles to run the b-ball in the first place, especially in power situations?

I think there can be a combo of both, but I tend to lean towards execution.
  11. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I can remember at least a few. Maybe Jim Bob got over-confident with it when it actually worked the first time he did it in week 1 with Alex Barrett. I don't think it's worked since.
  12. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Barrett played 3 snaps and Bellore has played 5. So 8. I also know they passed a couple times with Bellore because I remember them highlighting his blocking on a screen.
  13. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Okay. In those 8, how many times did it work?
  14. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Cooter's scheme never works early on. The scripted plays seem to suck and are too predicable.

When they just start throwing it and getting teams off balance, then can face some soft fronts in the run game and beat some blitzes with the screens and quick hitters is when they get going late in the game.

Like it or not, this offense gets going when the downfield passing game gets going. If the OL can hold up and defenses are dropping or blitzing, later in games is when Cooter gets his way. This is also why I think they struggle in the redzone. They need some trickery down there, everyone knows they will run a rub pattern with the WR's.
  15. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Don’t know. All I know is they played 8 snaps combined.

I do know they ran it successfully for a TD behind Barrett early in season and like I said I know they’ve run pass plays with Bellore in.
  16. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

With the money spent on the offensive line they should be able to do more in the running game and goal line situations, that said I think a healthy Golladay will create the quickest results on the goal line as Ebron has been a non-threat and the Lions lack size with most of their other receiving options, hopefully the offensive line starts to gel with Decker back but I can't see it being a quick turn around.
  17. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Do you remember the Linehan years? Lions were the kings of getting the early lead, and then getting destroyed in the second half. What Cooter is doing seems preferable to me. Spend the early part of the game running scripted plays to see how the defense reacts, and what formations they'll respond with. Lulling them to sleep and giving them false security in the process. Then hit them over the head just long enough to put the game away, but not so long that they're able to make adequate adjustments.

I don't know how realistic it is to simply hit them early and spend the game running the score up. This isn't Kurt Warner and the Greatest Show on Turf.
  18. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

The biggest knock should be that the Lions sometimes let opponents hang around too long, they seem to have trouble putting the game away.
  19. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

That's because idiot Cooter goes conservative with just a one score lead. No killer instincts. Won't miss him if he leaves. They should come out with no huddle first couple series and get a quick lead forcing Baltimore into a pass first mode but they won't. Dumb fuck cooter will go 3 and out trying to shove the run down baltimores throat.
  20. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

That's a much better plan than some of the fans calling for "going no-huddle the entire game" which is just ridiculous.
    K-Dawg likes this.
  21. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

They’d have to come out and score first 3 or 4 drives and then hold Ravens on those drives to make Baltimore one-dimensional. No team is abandoning run in first half of a game.

And Baltimore’s D is good, so that’s a lot to ask.
  22. Murtyle American Destroyer

He reportedly told them he wasn't interested in the job. I can't say I blame him. Tennessee is quite literally a dumpster fire. If you haven't read up on their coaching search, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's kind of amazing. It's on the level of Millen mismanagement. Maybe worse.