Cooter pros & cons

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Roaring20, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Issue I have with Cooter is his predictability and his game planning makes the offense start slow.

What I mean by that is the offense gets going in the second half when they go faster paced and throw the ball like crazy.

The first half goes something like this:

First down: run for 1 yard gain
    Second down: screen or quick hitter to Tate.
    3rd and long: pass....which usually doesn't work.

Cooter does this every game. The Lions get behind the offense starts going hurry up and Tz fford throws it and the start moving the ball.

This offense should go hurry up and throw like crazy early and everything else will open up like the run and screen game as the games goes on.

That's just what I saw and what I would go with the players they had last year.
  2. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Issue I have with Cooter is his predictability and his game planning makes the offense start slow.

What I mean by that is the offense gets going in the second half when they go faster paced and throw the ball like crazy.

The first half goes something like this:

First down: run for 1 yard gain
    Second down: screen or quick hitter to Tate.
    3rd and long: pass....which usually doesn't work.

Cooter does this every game. The Lions get behind the offense starts going hurry up and Tz fford throws it and the start moving the ball.

This offense should go hurry up and throw like crazy early and everything else will open up like the run and screen game as the games goes on.

That's just what I saw and what I would go with the players they had last year.
  3. Felix True Fan

I have seen Stafford do that his entire career, so not sure its Cooter...
  4. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

I am all for bringing Cooter back, but they had better get a legit RB and use him the right way.
  5. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I agree. And while Lions weren’t a good 1st quarter team, they were very good in second quarter and 11th in first half scoring.
  6. goldenlions International Playboy

I think we are fine with AA, Riddick and Green...oops...
  7. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I certainly agree about his predictability. Not so much on 1st down but on 3rd and 4th down. But I do think part of the problem was with the line not being able to get any push it really minimizes your playbook in short yardage situations.

Teams have tried this and it has never worked. There is a reason teams don't go hurry-up all the time. You usually end up just wearing out your own defense rather than the opposing one.
  8. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I don't totally disagree. But on the flip side, going 3 and out all the time also wears out a defense.
  9. tepod2001 Active Member

One of the things NE does is mix in hurry up offense during the game. When they find an advantage that they can exploit, they hurry to not give the other team an opportunity to make personnel changes
    A team should never try to go hurry up all the time but it is wise to do so to catch a defense by surprise or to take advantage of a favorable match up