Does Caldwell get fired at seasons end?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by goldenlions, Dec 30, 2017.

?

Does Caldwell get fired?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2018.
Yes 14 vote(s) 87.5%
No 2 vote(s) 12.5%
  1. goldenlions International Playboy

2 day poll, just want to see where we all stand. I say no.
  2. Fireball Member

Need an upgrade in coaching. Someone with a definite uptick in expectations and results
  3. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Maybe I am just pessimistic but I said no, the media reports sure do make it seem like he will be fired but I need to see it to believe it.
  4. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

5. TheDane Well-Known Member

6. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

Another abortion of a season and I don't care what some of you guys say, the ATL game killed us. They never recovered and it's just another year with some more BS. ATL is IN! We get one more play, we score like it should have been and we are IN! Fuck the NFL. I am soooo done. I can't do this anymore, it's always some fucking bullshit with this team! i.e. THE REFS!!! I need to watch some NHL! NBA!@fuckkkkkk

CALDWELL NEEDS TO GO! He is SENILE! AND WE should write letters to the NFL, I need to pull up that bogdano fuck's email, the head of refs, goodell, we need to fire some motherfucking heat seeking letters of vitriol to these assholes, let them know. The MEGATRON catch=non-catch, the Seattle bat, oh my god, the list goes on and on!

I need GOoDELLS EMAIL NOW!

7. I voted yes, because I believe he will he will be fired. With that said, I think the Lions are making a mistake in this decision. The Lions continue the trend of blowing up the staff every three- to four years which leads to inconsistency, and mismatched personnel.

Every time a new staff comes in, they overhaul to "their" players and resulting in inconsistent play and mediocrity. The Lions continue take a flyer on coaches with no HC experience, just hoping to catch lightening in a bottle. Schwartz, Marenelli, Mornhinweg all decent coordinators, but terrible leaders. Patrica is the next in that line of hopefuls. Going 11-5, 7-, 9-7, 9-7* is not SB caliber but a significant improvement over the past decade.

To win a super bowl you need consistent playoff appearances, and with Caldwell you get that. The bigger problem is Austin and JBC. Austin's ineptness is overshadowed by 2014 where Suh, Fairley, and Levy made him look good, with Gunther Cunningham pulling strings behind the scenes. Since then the D has been terrible. JBC has helped Stafford, but this years 3 & 1 performance should be enough to get anyone fired.

Regardless, I love the Lions and will support the team with their new leadership.
  8. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Austin had all of this defensive resources taken away from him since 2014, outside of Slay and Quin what talent does this defense have? The husk of Ziggy Ansah, a rookie LB in Davis, a mediocre Whitehead? It does look like Austin will be shown the door with Caldwell but I really thought he was a good coordinator.

Cooter is hard for me to judge mostly because this running game confounds me, they spent good money on the offensive line and they continue to be horrendous at run blocking, a unit can't be this bad and it be a product of only one factor it has to be a combination of scheme, play calling, and personnel. It's also hard to tell if Cooter was this transformative influence on Stafford or if this was just Stafford's natural progression.

The only good thing I can say about Caldwell was he hired Austin, other than that I consider Caldwell a waste, terrible clock management and I will never forget the hail marry defense...

Besides Quinn needs to have the opportunity to build his team with his coaches and not hold overs from the last regime.
  9. littlekaps Member

This is why I think Quinn will bring in a McDaniels or a Patricia. He is bringing in his players based on some of the New England model and Patricia/McDaniels would follow along.

I think Caldwell should be fired. I think he took this time as far as he could. This team is lead in too conservative. Rarely do we blitz. Rarely do we see any offensive creativity. I think Caldwell is a play not to lose guy and we have the talent to take more chances.

I would like to see a new offensive coordinator as well who will come in and shake up the running game. Someone posted that Caldwell's offensive game plans rarely have a 100 yard rusher. And, while I don't want 0-16 and a 100 yard rusher each game, I think it would unlock what Stafford is capable of.

Caldwell did a nice job righting the ship but someone needs to come in to take it to the next level. I just don't know if Patricia or McDaniels is that guy.
  10. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

The D blitzes quite a bit. More than in the Schwartz era.

Offensive creativity? You can criticize Cooter to an extent for not getting run game going, has to take part of the blame, but to say he’s not creative is ridiculous. Design on some of his plays is fantastic.

The whole Caldwell conservative thing is a bit overstated. One of those narratives that comes with his demeanor. I think he needs to be replaced, but I just think you’ve likely maxed out with him.
    CapnCrunch likes this.
  11. littlekaps Member

It's official, Caldwell has been fired.
  12. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Okay, here we go. Get some defense, a good running scheme, along with Stafford, and the Lions make some noise.
  13. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

This is Quinn's chance to get his man at head coach, he has some pretty big choices to make, what to do with Ansah, how to allocate the free agent money, draft picks and most importantly how to fix the defensive line.

With Caldwell gone I feel like my interest in this team has increased considerably.
  14. I am not happy about Caldwell being let go, but know I am the minority in that respect. If Patrica is the guy, surely Austin is gone which is more important to me. Austin has been wayyyyyy overhyped in his tenure in Detroit, and it is time for his departure.

One interesting development with Baltimore's loss, is the possibility that John Harbaugh is available. Personally would much rather a proven winner with a ring, than another unproven coordinator. Though I can see Harbaugh more interested in the Giants opening.

I have often thought that the Lions futility was directly attributable to the coaching carousel. Every time a new staff comes in, the players don't fit the system and massive overhauls occur. Then fans get impatient with the results (insert Caldwell) and the reset button is hit.
  15. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

He's gone!! Now please get this hire right.
  16. Looking at his professional record, seems like a poor decision...

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 11.19.39 AM.png
  17. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Caldwell was a lead weight to Peyton Manning with the Colts, with the Lions other than 2014 the only thing that improved was the development of Stafford, now we can debate whether Caldwell or Cooter had a hand in that but I just see little merit in Caldwell as a head coach he got by on being Tony Dungy without as much ability and we all know this organization adored Dungy.
  18. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

19. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

Also says Ron Prince (O Line coach) was fired.

Considering the new coach is going to hire his own guys, pretty sure this was done just because Quinn was angry at him and wanted to fire him, himself.
  20. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

Bob Quinn on what he wants in the next head coach ...

"Leadership, situational football, willingness to adapt to scheme and to players, someone that can lead this team with players we have and players we acquire and put them in the best position to win."

The situational football comment stands out to me. One of the biggest gripes about Caldwell was how he managed the game. I also think the adapt to scheme and players speaks to his not willing to make changes to coaches. To this day I do not think Caldwell wanted to fire Lombardi. Listening to his interviews afterwords it sounds like it wasn't his decision. And you look at the fired OLINE coach ... why didn't Caldwell do that?
  21. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

22. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I'll give him design of plays, but my big issue with him is his creativity on play calling. He is just so fukking predictable.
  23. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen this a lot. Justin Rogers usually debunks a lot of the Lions are predictable and always do X out of Y arguments.
  24. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I've seen some of those, and they were all weak arguments. All I can tell you is I have never correctly predicted more offensive play calls in 35+ years of watching the Lions than this year. When I went to the Ravens game in Baltimore with a couple Ravens fans they were blown away by how well I knew Cooter's "game plan". At one point they said I should have been hired by the Ravens as a defensive consultant for that game. It was ridiculous.
  25. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

So you were predicting the runs called or the route combos?

Saying they’ll run here or pass here isn’t being predicable.