Does Caldwell get fired at seasons end?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by goldenlions, Dec 30, 2017.

?

Does Caldwell get fired?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2018.
Yes 14 vote(s) 87.5%
No 2 vote(s) 12.5%
  1. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

It was more specific than run vs pass. A lot of it was run up the middle, delay, wheel to Riddick, etc. That type of stuff. No, I wasn't predicting what route each receiver would run, just a lot of who and where the primary target would be or where the run would go. He really has no imagination. I don't remember it being this bad last year so I don't know what changed.
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Not to be a dick, but sounds like a lot of hyperbole.
  3. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

You're free to think whatever you want. It was ridiculous in that game in particular though. Don't get me wrong - I wasn't predicting every single play. Just a lot of them and especially the critical 2nd or 3rd and short stuff.
  4. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

They put up almost 400 yards of offense in that game. Predicabity wasn’t the issue. Stafford fumbling and knocking them out of field goal range early, Prater missing a kick he normally makes, Stafford fumbling again after driving into Raven territory, and then throwing a terrible pick late were big issues that eliminated scoring opportunities.

Along with a D that let a sub-par Ravens Offense move the ball way too easily.
  5. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Sounds like the story of the season.
  6. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Considering the Lions didn’t turn the ball over at a high rate, not really.
  7. TheDane Well-Known Member

We were in the bottom half in turnovers.
  8. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Not to mention Stafford tied for the league lead in fumbles lost and the defense making pretty much any mediocre offense look like a top offense...story of the season.
  9. TheDane Well-Known Member

The story was the Lions CAUSING turnovers. The story was Staffords passing and finally the story was special teams play.
  10. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

The story was "no fucking running game" as predicted by the more enlightened.
  11. Losing half of the starting D line before the season began, LT tearing labrum in OTA's and starting Greg Robinson, Terrible D when it counted that relied on turnovers to stop teams, 11 offensive line combinations, passing on Hunt, and Kamara when they knew Abdullah was not the answer just to name a few of this seasons story lines.
  12. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

They were 15, they were middle of the pack. They had 4 games that they had multiple turnovers in and they won one of them. Hardly the story of the season.
  13. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

For the story of the season I was more referring to the dogshit defense.
  14. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I would have to say they went into some of those games unprepared. Were they dogshit? Eh.

P.S. I also would have to say the running game did not help the "O" maintain possession of the ball.
  15. Roaring20 Member

I don't think Quinn can fire Caldwell for not winning big games and turn around and hire a member of his staff. So I have to think Austin is no more than checking off the Rooney rule.
  16. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

They’re scheduled to interview 3 black coaches. So wasn’t the Rooney rule.
  17. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I think Austin gets hired by somebody this time around. He is a pretty good coach. However, he did have some let downs this year that could hurt his chances. I guess it depends what the actual circumstances were for the let down and how he explains them as to whether he gets hired.
  18. goldenlions International Playboy

To me the only thing Austin was good at was coaching the DBs, and without that huge playmaker in the middle of the line his players were ineffective. I don’t see him getting a head coaching gig without more success as a coordinator.
  19. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

I wonder if Caldwell challenged - what looked like a catch late against Cincy. If he challenged it would have been interesting, because it looked like golden Tate? was it? caught the ball twice, without it touching the ground.