Early Draft Part Deux

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by TheDane, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Round 1: Quenton Nelson, Isaiah Wynn.
    Round 2: Rasheem Green, DE
    Round 3: Trenton Thompson (Steal of the draft).
  2. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

All we are saying is, this is a great year to get a premier RB, but will have to be taken in the early rounds. Next year (2019 Draft) the RB cupboard will be very bare.
  3. goldenlions International Playboy

I guess we will see if this is what Quinn had planned all along if they pick one up this year before Saturday.
  4. TheDane Well-Known Member

All along? LOL, to suck SO bad that he had no choice? Of course I thought he had no choice last year after being in the bottom 3 in rushing for a couple years preceding but no, he proved that he knew nothing about what constitutes an NFL stable of RB's. Oh and with re to that run blocking, nice job on "revamping" the OL and thinking that would fix the running game. I can't wait to hear him say that with the "emergence" of Tion Green, that we're good to go. There have been great choices in the middle rounds for years and they have declined to make any moves, I am actually getting the feeling that Quinn is going to stand pat.
  5. tepod2001 Active Member

• Dion Lewis - RB - New England Patriots

Posted 2/13/18 11:27am ET
      New England Patriots impending free-agent RB Dion Lewis may be pursued by the Detroit Lions if he does enter free agency, according to The Boston Globe's Ben Volin.
      Huddle Up: Ameer Abdullah hasn't been getting it done in Detroit and Theo Riddick is primarily used as a pass-catcher. The Lions need someone else to pick up the slack in the backfield. Lewis is coming off a pleasantly surprising year and obviously has a connection with current Lions head coach Matt Patricia, the former defensive coordinator of the Patriots. He would be sharing time with the aforementioned Abdullah and Riddick, but Lewis would stand to be Detroit's biggest running threat if this move were to come to fruition.
  6. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Have to move Abdullah or Riddick if that’s the case. Not sure I’d be a huge fan of that move. Lewis is a talented guy, but limited as a runner and this was the first year he’s been able to stay healthy.

I also think “trolling” Volin is making a lazy Quinn to Pats player connection, but it is possible Quinn is attached. He was a pro personnel guy when Lewis was brought in.
  7. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't see Lewis as an upgrade over Abdullah or Riddick. Plus, he's older than both of them.
  8. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

IMO Abdullah or Riddick when healthy is a much better RB than Lewis.
  9. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Had to step in here after seeing Lions mentioned with Lewis. Nah I would rather have Carlos Hyde than Lewis.
  10. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Carlos Hyde definitely fits the profile to more of what we need, but I wouldn't want to break the bank on him as he's kind of JAG.

I've always been a little intrigued by TJ Yeldon and think he could do well in the right situation. Although given Fournette's ankles Jacksonville might not want to part with him.
  11. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Will be more expensive too.

I brought up Yeldon last year as a possible trade target with Fournette being drafted. Don’t see Jax letting go though, cheap with talent at a high risk position.
  12. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

The Dane cant post wothputvname calling so it doesn't bother me. It makes hm feel mightier. So be it.
  13. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Lions are severely lacking in quality Gurards/Centers.

Still.

Quenton Nelson, Isaiah Wynn and Billy Price are all old-fashioned road graders. Hoggs. Guys who can line up across from another human body, and simply out-power him in short-yardage situations.

I still say that has to be our first-round pick. That's three guards/centers who are exceptional run blockers, and all worthy of first-round grades. All of these guys very close to finished products. Not "developmental prospects" like Laken Tomlinson.

If you had a chance to go back in time and draft Steve Hutchinson, wouldn't you have to do it?
  14. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Quinn seems to be backpedaling a bit on that and has indicated that they will add a RB. In what fashion is anyone's guess but obviously he's keeping it close to the vest (as he should).
  15. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Yeah I think the Lions stay defense and OL early in the draft maybe go after skilled players 3rd round or later.
  16. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I would rather have Tion Green.
  17. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I do not get th Tion Green thing.
  18. TheDane Well-Known Member

Here's the deal, I don't let dumb fucks off the hook, so you're screwed....
  19. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

IMO, Hyde is not much of an upgrade and he would probably cost a lot more. Abdullah when healthy is just as good as Yeldon. We need to upgrade and and complement our RB group, not bring in more of the same.
  20. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I get the cost thing, I’ll be interested to see his market. Think there’s a sizeable gap between Hyde and Green though. Green busted one run through a hole that you could drive an 18 wheeler through and it’s like it negated the fact he was pretty much awful rest of the way.
  21. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Here is what I like about Green. He has size that correlates to excellent power. Has good vision. Can't say he has good burst, but gets there before holes deteriorate. His best attribute is contact balance. It takes a lot more than a arm tackle to bring him down. He is young, healthy, with a great attitude and will play special teams with abandon. He also will not cost the Lions much cap space and still get the job of power runner done. He will play his ass off trying to pass protect.

I think this guy would be amicable to fullback duties and do whatever to help the team win. I don't think I could say all of the above about Hyde.
  22. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Think that’s a super optimistic view of him. He was basically a 3 yard per carry guy without that run against Baltimore and had a couple dreadful games where he was just running into nothing. I think like the other backs it wasn’t always his fault, but to me he’s extremely limited as a runner.

His ceiling is Brandon Bolden to me. 3rd or 4th back on roster, good ST guy. Nothing wrong with that, but I’m depending on him as a runner at all.

I’m not a huge Hyde fan, but he’s a much more talented back. Doesn’t mean I think cost will match up, but I think he and Green aren’t really comparable.
  23. TheDane Well-Known Member

We are going to have plenty of RB's to choose from in the draft that won't cost squat. Save the FA dough for OL and DL and re-signing our players.
  24. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I agree. Fine with a vet signing to compete, but a guy like Hyde will likely pull more money than I’d be willing to spend.
  25. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I wish you would stop disqualifying rushes to make your point. You can't do that. He is a 3.9 yards/carry RB with only 40 carries. IF and BUT are used to make a fictional point, so lets stick to the facts.