Had lunch with Billy Simms

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by TheDane, May 19, 2017.

1. TheDane Well-Known Member

Good guy, he's opening a new BBQ joint here. He sat down and we talked for about 5 minutes. He's not very high on the Lions running backs but part of that could be because he hates Nebraska. He gets it and was also surprised that in this deep draft we didn't try and up the talent level we have.
  2. goldenlions International Playboy

I had brunch with Jerome Bettis the other day and he said the Lions have a talented group of young runners and with an improved Oline should be able to take the next step.
  3. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I had a beer with the lead singer of the band Stryper, and he thinks we should bring back spandex pants, frizzy hair and heavy metal.

[IMG]

I've also done Karaoke with Mr. T, partied with Butter Bean, and attended fundraisers with Tony Dungy on several occasions. And that is the honest-to-God's truth.
  4. bogartin Active Member

He has several places here in Oklahoma. It's average BBQ. It isn't bad, but there are several places I'd visit first. I'm sure he had his eye on two RBs from OU in particular.
  5. Felix True Fan

I forgot you were in OK, Bog...where? Im in OKC now...and agreed on the mediocre assessment of his BBQ
  6. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

If your story doesn't involve fanny packs or unsettling observations at the urinal stall i am not interested...
  7. TheDane Well-Known Member

I had the "Heisman", the BBQ was OK but not great. The macaroni side was a one and done. The sausage was some of the best I've ever had though, so there was some upside. I give it a year or two, there's been better BBQ joints that didn't make it here. It's a franchise so Billy won't lose in the end.
  8. TechLion Super Genius

During my teenage years, I loved Billy Simms. To this day, he is my favorite athlete of all time.
  9. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

Billy Sims to the right, Billy Sims to the left and Billy Sims up the middle. He was awesome!
  10. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

And don't forget Billy Sims over the top. He was a great player.
  11. goldenlions International Playboy

You guys are fucking old if you remember Billy Sims....
  12. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Barry Sanders weighs in on the topic:

13. goldenlions International Playboy

What the fuck does he know? Was he coming out of the strip club as he gave that statement?
  14. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Barry Sanders does not need to go to strip clubs. The ladies see Barry and instantly their panties are dropped.
  15. goldenlions International Playboy

16. TheDane Well-Known Member

When Sims was a rookie the Lions had the youngest OL in the league. But, "What we have seen is that he has the natural 'lean' of a great runner, and then turns up field in a flash. He can find cracks in the line, and he makes cracks. He doesn't need much of a crack."

Well, we don't have Billy Sims and we don't have Barry Sanders. We don't need all pro's, we just need the OL to believe that if they open a hole, a crack, a seam, that there is a chance that the guy they are blocking for will take advantage of it. And when you seldom run the ball because you don't HAVE NFL talent behind you, what kind of rhythm is there? Uh, none. I expect more attempts this year with a healthy AA, and I expect the same outcome as last year if AA goes down. Sadly, history repeated is what Lions fans long for.
  17. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

I had lunch with Matt Millen and he said with the OL and receivers we have John Joseph Harrington would be an all pro QB.
  18. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

19. TheDane Well-Known Member

Went back today and wore my Lions chef coat. Billy busted a gut and asked me where he could get one. I got mine a few years back and bought a couple for some friends but haven't seen any since. The place was packed with OU fans. He said that he was at "Taste of the Lions" and that he goes to most of the games, even the road games. I told him that I was going to Tampa in December and he said he's be there. The guy from corporate got a picture of me and Billy after Billy signed my coat. Really nice guy.
  20. 26point2 Member

So where is the picture?

BTW, I golfed with and had lunch w/Cpl. Dwayne Hicks. A much bigger hero than any of your foosball players.
  21. bogartin Active Member

I'm in Broken Arrow, just outside of Tulsa. It's been quite a few years since I've eaten in OKC, but there is a great "German" restaurant in Moore called Royal Bavarian. When I lived there 20 years ago, I went in there often. The owner opened the place as a justification for the brewery in the back. He brews according to German specifications. It's worth a try.
  22. TheDane Well-Known Member

How many Heisman Trophies does Hicks have? My daughter is in Tulsa in the "Teach for America" program. Nice enough town but you guys live in a state that is fucking broken.
  23. Felix True Fan

Cool, Ill look them up, I love german food and I have a buddy that loves german beer...I usually just go to ingrids here in town.

Big fan of Cains in Tulsa, so I try and go up there often...

How is OK broken, dane? Just curious...its a weird state and the whole separation of church and state seems marginal at best, but the budget is more balanced than any other state Ive lived in, so Im wondering what you mean?
  24. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

The people living there are broken because they were raised in dysfunctional families.

So they all get addicted to prescription pain meds to dull the resulting emptiness.

http://www.narcononarrowhead.org/bl...l-struggles-with-prescription-drug-abuse.html
  25. TheDane Well-Known Member

Your public schools are broke, they got limited federal funding because they refused to adopt "Common Core", which I don't necessarily blame them for.

In total, the bill allocates approximately $776 million to higher education.
    [IMG]
    The higher education budget in 2017 was $810 million and $963 million in 2016.
    The majority of state agencies also included in the bill received a 5 percent cut, except those considered core agencies. For example, common education, corrections and veteran affairs would receive the same allocations as FY 2017.

Almost $200 million less for higher education than there was 2 years ago.