History in the Making! Detroit at Chicago Gameday Thread

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by goldenlions, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Hate to say this but .... JD is not looking like an NFL middle linebacker.

I don't think it's possible for Worrilow to be any worse. He looks pretty decent when he's out there. I'd make the switch and let JD develop and earn his playing time.
  2. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

Shut it Rusty.
  3. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Can you name one thing about his game that doesn't completely suck at this point?
  4. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

One thing that doesn't suck is he doesn't play like Whitehead.
  5. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Yeah, Whitehead has played a lot better than him.
  6. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

He has flashed and covers a lot of ground. Just seems out of position a lot. That can be coached and improved with experience. As long as he has a good head on his shoulders and is willing to be coached he is the least of our worries.
  7. Felix True Fan

To be fair, some of what ive seen looks like the DL isnt helping the kid out either...the OL is getting to him clean, so some of thats on the DL
  8. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I noticed that on a couple of plays on Sunday. One in particular where I disagreed with Spielman - he said Davis should have made a tackle but watching the replay all I could think was, "What else could he have done?" He maintained his position and was engaged with a lineman before Howard even got through the line. I suspect even Spielman saw what I saw after seeing the replay because he changed the subject quickly.
  9. Vic Turner Just Sayin

He has bounced off a lot of tackles. I saw a few Sunday.

His pass defense needs work, he would benefit by adding some mass.

Lets not act like he is crap, not everyone is Patrick Willis coming out of college. I think if he gets in the film room and weight room this off season and continues to grow he could be a serviceable line backer. He may be better suited to an OLB if he pass defense gets better. I still think they need a stud up the middle. I think he is on par with Whitehead as a rookie.
  10. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Whitehead didn’t play a defensive snap his rookie year.

And Davis is built like an action figure, I don’t think mass is the issue.
  11. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I think he's literally out of position. He looks like a Will to me. He plays much more naturally when pursuing laterally. Unfortunately the same can be said for Whitehead.

Levy was the same way. I remember him being asked to play MLB before, and it was a disaster.

It's been my experience that if a guy didn't show it in college, then you can't expect him to suddenly show it in the pros. He's never been an instinctive MLB. He's just always been an athletic guy who does well sideline-to-sideline but when asked to play vertically, he just gets tied up by blockers ... over-pursues or feasts on fakes and misdirections.

It would take a monumental effort in coaching to take something this raw and make a MLB out of it. By the time you're done with that project, he'll be ready to hit free agency. I just don't see the return.
  12. Vic Turner Just Sayin

I wasn't clear, Davis is as good as Whitehead NOW as a rookie.

He's 6'1 235 lbs. He's more of a OLB build. He's getting eaten up by the blockers and Rusty is right....he is better moving laterally.
  13. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

He is not as good as Whitehead right now. F7696ED3-9650-444F-A93C-ED594EB67F47.jpeg

And again, don’t think mass is the issue.

He has a tendency to overpursue and get himself out of position. He’s playing a little out of control. Like a lot of rookies tend to do as they realize you don’t have that time to recover like you do in college against NFL athletes.
  14. Vic Turner Just Sayin

I would give Whitehead the edge in pass coverage just because of his experience.

From a run defense perspective about the same.

For a rookie his impact and play making ability is on par with Whitehead and I would say in some cases as far as his impact he has made a few more plays.
  15. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Davis was fucking horrible most of the game.