I'm onto 2016

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by littlekaps, Oct 14, 2015.

1. littlekaps Member

ASSUMPTIONS MADE- The house is cleaned out - Mayhew/Lewand have been here for 8 years running the show and we have hit rock bottom. Here is what needs to be done for 2016-
    Current Cap Room - $32M
    1. Trade/Cut Stafford - you can't go sideways for 2-3 more years and then say, ok, he is worth 100M. By the way, he makes 17.7M this year which is #14 among quarterbacks, between Jay Cutler and Alex Smith so that tells you the going rate for a QB. Trading him gives you 11M back this year (you also take an 11M dead money hit but that is already factored in) and now you are at $43M under the cap.
    2. Cut Bell, Petitgrew, and Tulloch - Bell is not what we need and makes too much, Tulloch has slowed due to injury and doesn't look the same (not worth the 7.3M at least) and Petitgrew can't stay healthy and isn't worth 4.65M vs. the cap - You now have $55M in cap space
    3. Calvin. What to do...if you trade or cut him, he only counts 8M against the cap in 2016 and 4M in 2017 but, you get back a ton...I think he needs to be set free -trade him - Do it this year and your cap goes up to $79M in free space. Do it next year and you only have $66M in free space. Send him out to someone who is close and let them worry about the next few years.

Other interesting things -
    1. If you can find a way to trade Stafford this year (Houston?), you could be at $90M under the cap with the above.
    2. We will have 5 of the first 100 picks next year - 1,2 and 3. But, we will get 2 compensatory 3rd rounders for Fairley and Suh (both were first rounders and left at end of rookie deals). If you trade Calvin/Stafford this year and can get a 1st, 2nd or 3rd from other teams, you could be loaded with picks and have a ton of cap room - INSTANT rebuild.
    3. If Mayhew stays in charge, we will not do any of the above because he will not want to risk a 2-14 season with trading away anyone.
    4. If Ford fires Mayhew and puts Xanders in charge, he would get this done quickly.

NOTE: all numbers are from www.overthecap.com (I have no stake in it, I just use it for fast calculations) and salary cap number for next year is assumed at $150.8 M.

Just my thoughts of COMPLETELY deconstructing this team and starting over.
  2. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Mayhew and Lewand aren't going anywhere. Caldwell I'd say is 75/25 to stay. Lombardi is probably the only one gone.
  3. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I think season will have to be complete disaster to lose Mayhew and Caldwell. Slightly better chance on Caldwell, but still be surprised. Which means they're not going nuclear and blowing up the roster.

I don't get the Xanders infatuation thing either. People didn't like when they promoted from within with Mayhew, but they want to do it again with Xanders. I don't have an issue with him being an option, but people have this odd love for him. It's like they want to give him credit for all the good things that have happened since he's been here and put the bad on Mayhew.

If there's a guy from within that probably deserves a shot too, it's Sheldon White. The pro personnel department has probably been the best part of the FO with FA and trades.
  4. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Millwand isn't going anywhere.

Stafford is retained, Lions draft a WR, DT, or OL with their first pick. They draft a QB in 2nd or 3rd rounds.
  5. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I don't get it either. Do we even really know what Xanders has done other than develop some database for scouting?
  6. goldenlions International Playboy

A new pet nickname, how cute. LOL!
  7. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

littlekaps...You just supported...and added to...my idea to trade Stafford and CJ (and Pettigrew), and start over. However, I had no idea the actual savings. If the Ford's can't make this happen, then I think they should just put a bomb in the stadium, collect the insurance money, and just go the fukk away.

I still think Jerrah Jones would give us more than a fair deal for those players.

Get it done, NOW!!!
  8. TechLion Super Genius

littlekaps, that was an excellent post. Xanders comes into one of my restaurants in Plymouth. If I get a chance, I will talk to him and see what his mind set is.

Most likely nothing will change next year for the exception of Lombardi and a few other coaches getting fired. Lombardi knew he would be the scapegoat at the beginning of the season.
  9. littlekaps Member

Thank you sir. Sometimes I get tired of the whining with no alternative solutions. Plus, as stated, i am onto 2016.
  10. littlekaps Member

I'm not advocating a bomb in a stadium by the Fords...How about they just sell the team (won't happen).
  11. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

Yeah. If we can't trust them to hire/employ the right people to run a football team, then we probably shouldn't trust them with explosives. It was a thought. Haha
  12. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Here is my predictions

Mayhew and Lewand will both be back
    Caldwell will be back
    Austin will get a HC job somewhere, there goes the defense!
    Lombardi will be the scapegoat and fired, no one will want the OC job and Caldwell will take over
    Stafford and Calvin stay

Lions have another bad season
  13. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

Stafford gets traded to Arizona after the season. He makes pro bowl 4 years in a row, wins 2 SBs. Lion still suck, fans continue to blame the QB for idiotic coaching hires.
  14. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

Well, when he was the GM in Denver he did draft Knowshon Moreno, Robert Ayers, Demaryius Thomas, Zane Beadles, Eric Decker, Parrish Cox, Julius Thomas, Nate Irving, Orlando Franklin, Von Miller, Rahim Moore, Derek Wolfe, and Ronnie Hillman. His mistake was hiring a super cocky Josh McDaniels.
  15. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Some of those guys aren't exactly anything to get excited about. And that "super cocky" McDaniels also had final say on personnel when he was the coach, so he was essentially the GM.
  16. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

I forgot about Xanders. Let the man step up!

He's already tried to leave once, I'm sure after he saw how this organization was ran. If he can take over may things will turn around.
  17. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

I think Stafford may do well elsewhere. I don't know about that well, but I could see him doing better things with another organization. The thing is, he and his contract...and a few others...are the reason this team is continually struggling. That is poor management. You won't likely find another organization that manages things as poorly as the Detroit Lions. Therefore, yes...I can see Stafford finding success elsewhere.

Bottom line...the experiment has run its course and is not helping the Lions.
  18. goldenlions International Playboy

Stafford did nothing yesterday to help the Lions?

I'll take that Stafford all day long.
  19. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

Truth: Yesterday, I spent the day with my wife for our anniversary and I forgot to set the DVR to record the game. I saw highlights and the end result, but my initial (fully jaded) reaction was..."The Lions needed OT to beat the most beatable team on their schedule". Haha

So, Stafford had a good game. I hope it continues and, for most teams in the NFL, games like this can serve as a turning point. However, I've seen it too many times and for too long to believe the Lions will be anything more than what we've see previously this year.

If he had a great game, good for him. That changes nothing of the past several years. His inconsistent performance, combined with his contract, is part of the reason the Detroit Lions are still failures.
  20. eastcoast blue Active Member

This "Stafford's horrible contract" shit needs to end. It's a fabrication at this point. Stafford is getting paid similarly to every other average to good franchise QB in the entire league. At this point he's only the 16th or so highest paid QB in the league per year. Sure, he is #5 on QB cap hit this year ,but that is because he is closer to the end of his contract than most. Dalton, Kaepernick, Ryan and all others will have far greater cap hits in the near future than Stafford does.

If Stafford's contract is killing the lions every year, then 1/2 the teams in the league are also failing for the same reason.
  21. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

Bottom line is...they have and are still paying too much for a QB that can not get the job done with any semblance of consistency. If I gave a damn about cap numbers versus actual pay checks, I would still only point out that he could either restructure his contract to help lower the cap (I'd advise an incentive laden contract that pays him the vet minimum, unless he produces) and/or that the front office is still to blame for presenting a schedule that allowed him to be here this long without producing.

At the end of the day, he isn't helping this team and the front office can't get the pieces that they need to stay competitive in a parity based league.
  22. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Then how do you explain the fact that he was #2 cap hit last year? And next year he's #6 as of the contracts right now, and 2017 he's back up to 5th. I'm sure that will change slightly as other contracts are signed, but he'll still be a below average quarterback getting paid top 7 money. This "using the full contract including non-guaranteed money to determine how his contract ranks with the other quarterbacks" shit needs to end.

Oh, and Andy Dalton's cap hit this year is 17th...next year 20th...17th in 2017. Kaepernick's are also much lower than Stafford. Ryan is up there with Stafford, but guess what, he's actually helping his team win (as is Dalton).
  23. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

He was responsible for assembling a team that managed to win -- even with Tebow at QB. That's quite an accomplishment. He put a lot of the pieces in place that ultimately lead to Denver's superbowl appearances. And a lot of those pieces were latter-round draft picks.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not one of the guys swinging on Xanders' jock, but if you take the modest success he had with Denver, it's a hell of a lot better than what Mayhew has done here, so it's not like there is no basis for people's infatuation with him. He at least HAS a resume.

And that's the thing. The last few years he's been a bright spot in a crappy organization. Before that, he was in charge of college scouting which was an unmitigated disaster. So overall, you have a guy who has typified the Detroit Lions: good in free agency / horrible in college scouting. No track record or history of success as an NFL GM.
  24. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Josh McDaniels had final personnel say while he was in Denver. So how much say Xanders had over those 2 drafts who knows. The Broncos missed playoffs while he was there. They were 20-38 while he was GM. Not saying he didn't add key pieces, but adding one of the greatest QB's in NFL history was a huge factor in success too. If the Lions add Drew Brees next season with Mayhew fired and go on to make playoffs 2-3 years, I doubt you would be touting Mayhew for the work he did to the roster before.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to him being an option. Just don't get the constant infatuation by some with him. If he came on the season before the 2014 draft instead of 2013 would people be so high on him?
  25. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Some guys are good at building organizations. Others are good at taking an already good organization to the proverbial "next level."

The Lions have been an organization that has been lying to itself, thinking it's "stocked" when, in actuality, it's been in need of a complete rebuild since forever. A guy like Xanders might be the kind of guy who can at least get you to square one in the rebuild phase. A springboard to bigger and better things, if you will.