Jamaal Williams

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by TheDane, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Go back and read the edited version. I accidentally posted before I was finished.
  2. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I certainly do. Abdullah averaged over 5 yds/carry behind the same line. Why couldn't the rest of the RBs even come close.
  3. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

We are talking career average yds/carry otherwise you are cherry picking.
  4. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Because if the other guys were as good as him, they would be starters.

But they're not so they're backups.

Abdullah is elite. The other guys we're talking about? Blount, Riddick, Ridley, Faulk, Zenner?

... NOT elite. Complimentary. Although I would argue Riddick is an elite receiving back. But they're all just RBs, so ... dime-a-dozen. It's like arguing over who's the sexiest woman at fat camp.
  5. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Now geezer you are suppose to be older than me, I watched a lot of Patriots in those years when Faulk was there like any NFL fan did, ask anyone and they will tell you Faulk was a third down and passing package RB that is certainly what I remember about him.
  6. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

So Kevin Faulk and Marshall Faulk were equally good RBs? they both averaged 4.3 ypc for their career.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

The player who this thread is supposed to be about before it got derailed has ZERO career yards-per-carry.

You were saying?
  8. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

First off - Abdullah is not elite until he proves it, so stop saying that. Saying it over and over again does not make it true. So quit.

I want 2 NFL Caliber RB to supplement one another. With every thing being the same, supplementary RBs will average nearly the same yds/carry or at least above 4.0 yards/carry. Is that so fucking hard? We don't have that on the roster as of right now. At least it has not been proven yet.
  9. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I did not say that, so don't put words in my mouth. I said Kevin Faulk's career performance is indicative of NFL Caliber RBs. Kevin Faulk was a Patriot for 13 years. Amazing isn't that a run of mill role playing RB (your words) could not be replace for 13 years and went to the superbowl, what? 3 or 4 times.

You want to speculate, go ahead. You want to cherry pick, go ahead. I am done. This is boring as hell.
  10. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

You set the parameter of a NFL quality RB in this conversation on career ypc I am pointing out that according to that metric there is no difference between Kevin and Marshall Faulk, he had a nice career as a role player but the fact that he never had more than 638 yards rushing in a seasons tells me the Patriots nor any other NFL team saw him as a starter, hell Shawn Bryson had a season where he nearly rushed for as many yards and had a better ypc to boot. The Patriots are masters of finding roles for less than elite talent especially at RB find me a Patriot RB that went on to have much of any success with another team? I think you will be hard pressed.
  11. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

You are getting boring as hell. I had enough. I must be an idiot to argue with one.
  12. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Or the Patriots are masters at using elite talent properly! BTW Shawn Bryson was pretty good if you didn't overextend him. Maybe that is why you need more than 1 NFL Caliber RB. Oh shit, we have come full circle.
  13. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

With NFL free agency if he was as talented as you say he was another team would have signed him away or at least forced the Patriots to pay him more, I would maintain Riddick and Faulk are the same player with Riddick potentially better and I think come new contract time the NFL will confirm my statement.
  14. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

... Provided they have NFL caliber offensive linemen blocking for them.

And I'm sorry, but I don't see Tomlinson or Reiff being in the NFL after this season. If they're still around I will be very surprised but we'll see. Starting to have my doubts about Glasgow as well, to be perfectly honest, but seeing the turnaround Swanson made, I'm willing to show some patience there.

And you're right. Talking about RBs is about as exciting as watching paint dry. It's a dime-a-dozen position with only a few elite players and a whole lot of interchangeable parts after that. Their careers last a few years and then they tear an ACL and break your heart. You spend a high pick on a guy, just to watch some undrafted rookie come along and show him up. And they all look like dog shit without good blocking. Way more important things to talk about.
  15. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

In 2008, the Patriot's gave Faulk a 4 year 15 million dollar contract, not bad for a run of the mill RB. You are full of shit Hunter. I am sure you will try to craft some other excuse that has a smidget of reasoning. But I will be kind enough to slap you back to reality. You ready to quit yet.

P.S. I forgot, Riddick just signed an extension for 3 years 11.5 million. Oooohhh, Riddick is getting paid less in today's Dollars. BTW today's dollars are worth about 20 percent less than 9 years ago. So in yesterdays dollars 11.5 million today would be worth 9.6 million. So basically the Patriot's paid Faulk in 2008 "1.2 times more than" what Riddick is getting paid today. How do you like them numbers?
  16. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Julius Jones in 2008 received 3 mil per year, Derrick Ward in 2009 received a 4 year 17 mil contract, so yeah Faulk was paid like those guys and I view them as run of the mill NFL players, now to the comparison of Riddick's extension vs. Faulk's for a guy that likes to compare "apples to apples" how can you compare Faulk contract signed after he was a established role player (9 year veteran) vs. Riddick's extension signed only 3 years in? If he is healthy when that extension is up he will make more than the 4 year 15 mil contract adjusted for cap growth. But that's besides the point I am not trying to argue that Riddick is a quality NFL RB, its my argument that he is role player same as Kevin Faulk was and I think the contract numbers bare that out.
  17. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Reiff will be a starter after this season I feel confident in that, Tomlinson on the other hand yeah his time to develop is nearly over.
  18. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Boring, don't care
  19. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Good Ansah will have a Field day. It is about time we get the Vikings back for Jared Allen killing Jeff Bachus all those years.
  20. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Reiff will not be an NFL starter after this season unless Vikings are down to absolutely no other options.

And I will gladly take bets on this one. As Geezer's girlfriend will tell you, I don't bet unless it's a sure thing. I have positive feelings towards him though, because he helped get Mayhew and Lombardi fired.

In 2015, Abdullah managed 4.2 ypc behind 4 players who had no business starting for an NFL team (Reiff, Lucas, Tomlinson, and Swanson as a rookie). Proof positive that he is an elite back.
  21. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Reiff is due 11.4 million next season and has dead money of over 17. If he's not starting, he's either hurt or Speilman is out of a job.

He's an average Tackle. Got paid more than I'd pay him, but he's not as bad Lions fans make him out to be. There's some really bad tackles In the NFL, he's not one of them.
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Wouldn't be the first time he's gotten a GM fired.
  23. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Lets just say this. He wasn't as good as Bachus!
  24. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Another guy who was better than Lions fans made him out to be.
  25. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

He was average, and average will not win you Championships.