Just watched some film on Glasgow

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, May 17, 2016.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I haven't seen too many rookie prospects who are as stout in pass blocking. Run blocking is pretty good, too. A little inconsistent there, but his pass blocking technique and leverage is just flat-out impressive. He frustrates people. I expect him to take the starting job by season opener.
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think he'll end up the starting C. He does get a little upright at times and allow defenders to get hands inside and drive him balance, but tough for a 6'6 Center. Like to see him improve a little in space.
  3. TheDane Well-Known Member

I really liked the Swanson pick, 4 year starter and he did all the line calls too. He seemed like a natural to replace or improve on Dom. So far it's been a train wreck at C but he was adequate as a replacement at OG. I was disappointed that we didn't wait and take Boehm who I consider a better C. Matt seems to get a lot of passes batted down at the LOS, not sure having a guy who is 6'6" standing in front of him is going to help his vision.
  4. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Going back and looking at film on him, you can see the inconsistency. He did a decent enough job, but Glasgow just looks like a more polished prospect. Physically, they're both big bodies, but Swanson tends to look fat and slow in comparison.

Like badnews mentions, Galsgow does get his hands tied up occasionally, but he also uses his hands exceptionally well to frustrate the defender. You rarely see him getting beat on a bull rush because he squares up, bends his knees and gets such good leverage. If that translates at all to the pros, then you're looking at a real asset in pass protection.

If he can just be an adequate run blocker, then I think you're looking at an instant upgrade at that position.
  5. Felix True Fan

Texan showed me some videos of Swanson when he was drafted...hated him ever since...the clips Tex showed showed he was small, undersized and beat a lot...but what do I know, i actually thought raiola was decent
  6. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Well, he is like 6'5 and 320 lbs so I don't know if I would characterize him as small.

The other stuff about him ... yea, there is no denying the inconsistency.
  7. Felix True Fan

I thought he was closer to 305#...anyway, not that I take these as gospel, but just looked up draft profile...seems it was nailed and fits what I saw too:
    Weaknesses
    Needs to bulk up his frame and get stronger. Limited push, power and explosion -- too often content to stalemate. Does not play with a load in his hands. Tends to bend at the waist, lean and fall off blocks. Spends too much time on the ground. Struggles to sustain on the second level. Center only. Produced the fewest reps (20) of 225 pounds of any lineman at the combine.

So maybe his weak play led me to think undersized, when in fact it was just weakness...fair enough
  8. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Funny, I remember people saying not to make much of the weak bench press effort when he was drafted. Not saying even now it matters but it makes you wonder.
  9. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Alex Mack did 20, Travis Fredrick did 21, Max Unger did 22, it's really not reflective of strength.

Swanson seems to struggle with balance as much as anything, spends too much time on the ground.
  10. TheDane Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Glasgow has done line calls? To me, Stafford never looked real comfortable doing them. I went back and looked at Swansons combine numbers and they were less than pedestrian. And for guys who like bench rep #'s, Corey Linsley did 36.
  11. Felix True Fan

Hard to tell if stafford was uncormfortable making the calls or if he was uncormfortable knowing lombardis blocking scheme was about to get him killed
  12. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

After watching Glasgow's first game at Center ... it's obvious that's where he is most comfortable playing.

Then again, Swanson has been doing really well for us.

I'd like to see the two swap places.
  13. TheDane Well-Known Member

14. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

He looks to be turning things around. Finally.
  15. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Yup, been better. Basically led the way by himself on that Abdullah TD run Sunday.
  16. Vic Turner Just Sayin

I think Glasgow is a better OC than Swanson. I'd like to See the Lions get another interior lineman this off season.
  17. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Considering our only backup is an OT, I would say that's a good idea.
  18. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I don’t know if he’s a better C than Swanson, since he only played a few games there, but we’ll find out next season because I doubt they spend to keep Swanson.

Love to see them somehow get Quentin Nelson here, but think he’s probably going to top 10, 15 at worst.
  19. TheDane Well-Known Member

20. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Bobby Quinn loves the high-RAS guys.

Pretty sure all of our picks this year were like that.

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]