Like the picks

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by millenbacker, Apr 29, 2017.

1. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

Our D is going to be hard hitting. Maybin is an animal, Tabor plays with an attitude and jarrod Davis is intense. Gonna be fun to watch.
  2. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

We bolstered the linebacker depth with quick, athletic guys who can defend the pass and make plays from sideline-to-sideline. And who hit like a ton of bricks.

Got another legit blocking tight end who can be a red zone threat.

And a big, fast receiver with great hands, who can contribute right away as a 3rd down / red zone target, and eventually work his way in to our starting slot receiver spot.

Oh yea, and a legit CB #2 to boot.
  3. lionsmack Right down the middle

We're going to suffer, this year, from failing to add anything at all to our pass rush. Major whiff on Quinn's part in a draft that had a lot of edge rushers.
  4. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

IDK, Traded second round with NE and picked Tabor. Wouldn't have minded Donta Foreman there, he was still available, a seemingly good compliment to Riddick and Abdullah, but maybe Tabor will turn out to be a solid CB. Time will tell.
  5. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

What I saw in this drafts were mostly smallish, Willie Young types.

Maybe they didn't want to waste their pick on that kind of player when we already have Armonty Bryant.
  6. TheDane Well-Known Member

C-...It was a great draft for RB's and we got what? Not a fucking thing. We got 2 DE's that are mirror images of Zettel. We got a LB in the first round who didn't represent the best player available but he is likely to fill a need. We got two CB's, great. We have no depth at Safety and have a need at CB but we used 2 picks and this is after we signed one in FA and have Diggs coming back from injury. We got a WR that was picked at least one round too early, and passed on 2 RB's that would have fit what we needed in the process. Last season was a layup for Quin, this one tested who he was. Below average....
  7. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Agreed I like Ledbetter and O'Conner, but if Demarcus Walker would have made to pick 2. I believe players would have fallen completely different. Fucking Denver took him, did you see the high fives. Fucking lucky bastards.
  8. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Only fits I saw in the upper rounds of the draft were Taco, Kpassagnon, and maybe Walker (if you see him as an end and not a tackle). And that's about it. Only guy we really had a shot at was Taco, but we needed linebacker more.
  9. TheDane Well-Known Member

We got a RB...
  10. TheDane Well-Known Member

11. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Looks like Zenner and Washington has some competition, not too shabby.
  12. tepod2001 Active Member

13. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I'm not as thrilled when I dissect each individual pick. But I like the draft a lot better from a bird's eye view.

We came in to the draft with a shitload of needs. And it's not realistic to think you're going to fix all of them in one draft. Even the very best drafts tend to produce no more than a couple starters and a contributor.

Overall, I think we did pretty well filling needs. We bolstered our linebacking corps with guys who can cover tight ends and take away the underneath stuff that killed us last year. We bolstered our CB depth and got a likely starting #2 guy and a playmaker. We addressed the replacing of Boldin by drafting a future starting slot receiver, and a Tight End who can be a red zone threat. And finally, we improved our running game because that Tight End can block.

That said, I don't think it was a knock-the-ball-out-of-the-park draft. Didn't think our first-round linebacker was great value. But our 4th round one was. I would have liked another RB, but realistically speaking, we needed depth at the position, not a starter. And we needed starters at other positions, so those needed to take precedence. And finally, while we failed to improve the pass rush, I also get that the draft just wasn't loaded with pass rushers who fit our scheme -- so why spend valuable draft capital on square pegs to fit our round holes?

Overall, I'd give it a B.
  14. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with this. I don't hate it, and I like a lot of the players, but I don't see good value other than Tabor and maybe Reeves-Maybin. Will be curious if passing on Foreman and trading down comes back to haunt them.
  15. lionsmack Right down the middle

Armonty Bryant is lucky to have a NFL job. If the Lions looked at this draft and didn't think there were any under-275-lb pass rushers better than Bryant, they should fire their whole scouting department.

I'd take Willie Young back in a heartbeat btw
  16. LionNation Detroit Lions Oracle

That Tion Green looks alright with the Youtube eye test. Good size dude, accelerates well hitting the hole, and looks like he takes good care of the football. Most likely practice squad guy because of numbers but he might have a shot at making the team.
  17. LionNation Detroit Lions Oracle

Personally, I would give the Lions draft a C+. They filled some holes but I thought Quinn kinda reached for a few guys. This was definitely not a BPA Draft for the Lions. I just don't see any playmakers they drafted but possibly Tabor but his lack of wheels is a little worrisome. There is a lot of holes on the defense and you can't fill everyone with one draft but a DL would have been nice to throw into the mix with an early selection.
  18. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

My God the guy is a carnival ride to the End Zone. Everybody is jumping on him and he gives them a ride. Lions coaching needs to install seat belts on his back so opposing DL can safely reach the end zone and not fall off. Kind of reminds me of a young Joique Bell, but stronger.
  19. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

20. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Look at how much of a sweat he breaks lumbering through those holes like it's a 100 degrees and humid.

I see this Green character becoming the new George Wynn practice squad darling. So Aveion Cason in other words.
  21. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

First off, to be fair, they did sign DJ Hayden, as you referenced. But the guy has a history of getting hurt, so they still needed to bring in bodies at the position.

Just because you're injured in college, doesn't necessarily mean you'll be injured in the NFL. Curtis Martin might be the gold standard example of that.

That being said...

I think the Lions really only got 2 guys they wanted, they got 2 that they liked, and then took a bunch of flyers on potential, and I think both DL, Ledbetter and O'Connor, were specifically taken for Kocurek to try and coach up, similar to Anthoney Zettel.

I'm just not sure you can fault them for going safe by taking Davis over Foster, when they appeared pretty comparable.

Tabor is a guy I think they like because if his speed does become a liability at CB, he's got a good skill set to roam as a safety, and they've got a year to figure that one out.

I think they see Galladay as a rough around the edges Anquan Boldin that they can work with, and I think that is the immediate role he takes over, as long as the staff doesn't hold him back just for being a rookie.

If Reeves-Maybin stays healthy, he could be as good as people think Davis can if Davis stays healthy. I don't think anyone is doubting the talent here, but questioning the durability. If he stays healthy, this could be the best pick of the draft. At the same time, he could be out of the league in 2 years due to injuries.

They wanted Michael Roberts. I think they wanted Kareem Hunt too, but missed out on him. Roberts could be the future starter at TE if they decide to let Ebron walk, and there's always a transition period for rookie tight ends, so he's able to come in, and not be leaned on too much early, and be ready for a larger role in year 2.

Agnew looks like a depth move, who could become a solid nickel guy, and was drafted to specifically move certain DBs off the roster, like Carter and Diggs.

Kaaya looks like a more pro ready version of Rudock. If Stafford goes down, I don't think he can come in and save the day, or the season.

I think they missed out on ALL the RBs they wanted, and it changed up the strategy and method and it shows in the end result. They needed depth in the secondary, they needed depth at LB. I think it's about a C, but will have to wait a few years to really find out how good or bad the draft was.
  22. TheDane Well-Known Member

If the guys with histories of injuries stay healthy it totally changes the grade...to a B-/C+. Or if the plan is to not re-sign Ansah, then the 2 DE's and how many UDFA DE's makes sense. And why did we only take one RB as an UDFA? If you weren't drafted and you are a RB do you have a good chance to make a team that is top 10 in rushing or a team that is stuck at 31st? At least this year we didn't use draft picks on players who ultimately would have never been drafted.
  23. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

What exactly do the Lions have at DE other than Ansah? I don't see a guy that is remarkable in anyway.

The thing about RB is you have a guy with a lot of potential in Abdullah who cant stay healthy, a excellent receiver out of the backfield in Riddick, a developmental guy in Washington, and then a try hard guy with limited ability, as soon as you Foreman was gone you really didn't have much out there that was a clear upgrade to Abdullah so you are basically adding a #3 RB because Riddick is going to eat up the majority of passing down plays, I was interested in the big kid from Oklahoma but he came off the board before the Lions picked, time will tell there were some impressive prospects like Foreman and Cook so we will see if they pan out and if the Lions stable of RBs don't.
  24. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

I think he will replace Washington. Wasn't impressed with Washington at all. Green has a little speed in the met level for a guy his size. Nice find.
  25. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Possibly. But Washington wasn't the same player after the ankle injury, so I don't think we saw the real Washington.