Like the picks

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by millenbacker, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

.... Which is why you wait until pick #32 of the 3rd round -- essentially a 4th round pick -- to take him.

Next ...
  2. TheDane Active Member

Essentially someone doesn't understand that #32 out of #43 isn't close to being the 4th round....essentially.
  3. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

32nd pick in 3rd round is considered dam near 4th round. The rest of the picks in the 3rd were compensatory picks.
  4. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Which for all intents and purposes are early 4th round picks. Not even for all intends and purpose. For anyone who chooses to live in reality, they are 4th round picks.
  5. TheDane Active Member

Essentially changing the rules makes stupid fucks feel better, essentially...
  6. bogartin Active Member

To be fair, in reality, they were listed in the program as 3rd round picks. That makes them a 3rd round pick in reality. But using the fuzzy math that suggests that a late 3rd round pick is essentially a 4th round pick, it can be argued that early 4th round picks are really just late 3rd round picks. With that said, I think it's just easier to list them by the round given to them by the league and the program.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Who's changing rules? If there are 32 teams picking, and you're picking 32, it's not changing rules to say you're almost in to the next round. If waiting 12 more picks means no one is going to call it a reach, then you're close enough. Just pick the guy.

... Next ...
  8. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Yea, and in reality, Jamie Lee Curtis was born with a dick, so she's listed on God's program as a man.

In reality, a round consists of a cycle of 32 teams picking. When you get past 3 cycles worth of 32 teams picking, you're in the 4th round. And if a program on television is trying to tell you that pick #97 is still a 3rd round pick, it's them who's doing the fudging, and not you.

So don't worry about it. Pick your receiver and let people complain that you "reached." If it's any consolation, we got an extra pick out of trading down. And we used it to pick another good player.
  9. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I just scoured the 'net and couldn't find any mock draft or scouting report that projected Golladay higher than a 4th rounder. It ranged from 4th to 7th. So however you want to define it as a late 3rd/early 4th/3rd with an asterisk...it was a reach by the standards of the general consensus.

Of course we don't know where the other NFL teams had him (and probably never will) but he seemed to fall in the range of 12-19 among WRs from what I found.

None of it matters at this point...hopefully he's the next Anquan Boldin and not the next Derrick Williams.
  10. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Essentially, this is inaccurate. 13 WRs were taken in the top 100 and Golladay was 12th.
  11. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

... Which means there's a good chance that he's not going to be around when you pick next.

Would you rather have traded up in the 4th in order to prevent that from happening? Holy shit, if you think a small reach at the ass end of the 3rd would cause an uproar, imagine the tears a trade-up would have induced.
  12. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Well, it all comes down to how high they were on Golladay. Hopefully very high or they really are idiots. The draft is all about value, and if it means missing out on guys you like then so be it.
  13. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

His relative athletic score was above 8.0. Highr than almost any receiver in the draft.The armchair neck beard analysts aren't going to be very familiar with that metric. But the good NFL teams are. And he had official visits with the Steelers and the Packers. The good teams had him high on their boards,

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/platf...lions-select-kenny-golladay-trust-the-process
  14. TheDane Active Member

Essentially you are right. NFLDraftscout.com has it listed the way I described.
  15. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Golladay ranked 5th out of all Draft eligible WR in 2017 with a 8.69 RAS. He is an NFL elite athlete at the WR position. One thing about Golladay, I think his football speed is faster than his timed speed. This guy looks really fast on film. Great hands, just a good pick.
  16. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

The Golladay pick was questionable. I can't comment I have never seen him play BUT Donte foreman was there if they didn't trade down. That could come back to haunt us like many drafts before. I am excited about the DEFENSE though. Looks to be improved.
  17. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

You have to remember Def that trade was not an even swap between Foreman and Golladay. It was Foreman vs Kenny Golladay plus Jalen Reeves Maybin (taken with the Patriot's pick 124). Foreman would have been an excellent compliment to Abdullah and Riddick, but we still had holes for a 3rd WR and OLB. So Quin sacrificed Foreman to fill additional holes.
  18. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

So in other words, fill two areas of need with 2 potential full-time starters ....

... versus filling one lesser area of need for a committee role player.

Why do people even think this is worth discussing?
  19. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

How can you say it is a lesser need. Abdullah has not been healthy since becoming a Lion. I said that this would happen when we drafted him. Because of his size, if you try to use him too much, this kid will break. So injured two years in a row, probability dictates that he very well could be injured again, if he don't get help, such as a complimentary power RB.

Why do you think the Lions grabbed Tion Green, Invited Matt Asiata to workout, and are most likely pursuing Lagarrett Blount. With all the activity trying to find a better power runner, they definitely believe it is important. So yeah, it is worth discussing!
  20. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Abdullah didn't miss a game his rookie year. He had offseason surgery. So he either got hurt in the last game of the season or played through it for part of the year, which would make him like 95% of NFL running backs.

He suffered a freak injury on a cut last season, that has nothing to do with his size. No one touched him.

I understand some concern, it's reasonable. But he literally hadn't missed a game in his football career until last season.
  21. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Because Abdullah, Riddick, and Zenner are a stronger unit than Paul Worrilow and Jake Armbrister. And Riddick/Zenner are better depth than TJ Jones/Jace Billingsley.

Unless I'm totally missing something? Am I? If I am, please explain.

Can you list for me the years that he was "injured?" What injury did he sustain his rookie year?

This is something that concerns me. There is this really weird thing going on where a lot of Lions fans believe he was injured his rookie year. And it puzzles me as to why this belief has had so much traction. So much so that I even believed it at one time ... just because I heard enough people say it.

That's an interesting theory. But I'm wondering if this is also just a case of hearing enough people saying it, so you start to believe it's true. Do you have any evidence to suggest that smaller backs get injured more, or have shorter careers? Logically, you'd think more body mass would absorb more blows? Okay, I'll go along with that much. But do other factors play in, like center of gravity? Running backs with a higher center of gravity or who run upright ... have more surface area. And the greater the surface area, the easier it is to be tackled, and thus sustain greater injury.

How about running style? Wouldn't a runner who's style is more violent and contact-based be subject to more contact and more collisions compared with a runner with the quickness and athleticism to AVOID contact?

I don't know because I haven't researched it. And I'm wondering if you have. And if so, would you mind sharing? I'm interested in where this belief of yours comes from.

I don't disagree that it's worth discussing free agents. I'm wondering why it's worth discussing as a fourth-round pick. Namely, why would the running back position take greater priority over Linebacker and Receiver(?) What is it about our Linebacking and Receiving unit that gives you enough comfort to think we can afford to pass on them? Is it because you are high on the potential of Billingsley? Armbrister? Or is it because you falsely believe that Ameer Abdullah was injured 2 years in a row?

In other words, I'm interested in REALITY versus perception.
  22. TheDane Active Member

LOL, essentially some people have a hard time understanding the recent past. People who call RB's a "dime-a-dozen" and that they all get injured don't understand that when you only have one that is of NFL caliber and they go down, then you don't have any NFL caliber RB's. And while this was explained ad nauseam before last season started and the result was exactly as predicted, and the result will be the same this season if it happens again, essentially the same people are demanding to know how I know that it will. Well, essentially the simple answer for the simple minded is because it just happened last year and a better OL doesn't make a non-NFL RB suddenly into an NFL RB. Essentially the same fucking morons from last year are the same fucking morons this year...essentially.
  23. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

You are right! He needs help. I just went back and looked at several games in 2015 and the 2 he played in 2016. Cooter limits Abdullah to about 10 to 13 touches per game on average. Abdullah does great when he is in there, but the rest of the backfield has done very poorly as complimentary RBs.
  24. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Tore his labrum in week 15 of 2015 and played through it. Spent the entire off season recovering from January surgery and could not do full workouts. Started training camp 2016 watching from the sidelines. Broke his foot in week 2 of 2016 out for the season. According to reports he will be limited for the 2017 spring workouts and OTAs. Here we go again, no off season work outs. So basically he has had medical problems for about 17 months, minus August and half of September in 2016.
  25. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

You need to go back and watch the play again because he was spun around by a Titan LB (#54) trying to tackle him and that caused the injury to his foot. Little guys like him do not run through contact very well. They are outweighed by almost everyone on the field leaving them at a disadvantage..