Lions D...

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by TheDane, Jan 4, 2018.

1. TheDane Well-Known Member

Finished the season ranked 27th. Although we were 18th vs the rush, we gave up the 2nd most rushing TD's at 18. We were 27th vs the pass. What these numbers don't show is the 32 turnovers they forced, we were 3rd. Obviously the loss of Ngata and Hyder hurt, and the mostly ineffective play of Ansah until late in the season. Rebuilding the DL like they did with the OL last season is a priority. We need both FA and the draft because most rookies don't start out making any impact on the DL. Hopefully Killebrew suffered a "sophomore slump" and can contribute at S or possibly move into the LB rotation. Glad to see that they had Agnew in the secondary rotation at the end of the season because we are probably going to need him next year. Diggs looked seamless moving into a position he has never played before, at any level, so there is hope there. Tabor? I got nothing on him, not enough time on the field even when he was healthy to know but it is disappointing for a 2nd round pick. Get a BIG man like Vita Vea for running downs and work him slowly into the rotation with a FA DT and we could be moving forward, this D isn't as bad as their ranking would indicate.

The Denver D was ranked #3 giving up 290 yards a game, but they forced 15 fewer turnovers. The Cincinnati D was ranked #18 but gave up only 17 yards fewer with half the turnover, we had 1 more turnover per game than they did. Would you rather have the extra turnover or the 17 yards every game? If we cut 28 yards a game we are #13 in the league. Besides the turnovers what role does an O have in this??? We were the worst scoring O in the league in the first quarter, anyone think that has something to do with what the D does in a game? What about the 22 giveaways from the O?

I simply don't see that we are as bad off as others but there is a CRITICAL need on the DL. We HAVE to get pressure from the DE position and get run stopping help from the DT position. More than getting the "right" guy at HC, I believe what he does with personnel in the off season is AS important. Plugging the biggest holes could have some serious returns. Changing schemes with the same players isn't likely to fix much at all.
  2. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Well said, and I agree with most of it. Although I do hesitate to give too much credence to all the turnovers. It seemed a bunch of those turnovers were kind of fluky or lucky (which a lot of turnovers are) and it's not like the defense was incredibly opportunistic.
  3. goldenlions International Playboy

I’ve already said the off-season is to be focused on improving the Dline and getting the running game going. The rest will be window dressing.

I think a lot of the young guys that people are down on, will get better. You guys expect to much too soon.
  4. TheDane Well-Known Member

You guys expect to much too soon.

I assume those were Caldwells last words...
  5. goldenlions International Playboy

Nice one, probably the first funny thing you have stated on this board.

Still true though.
  6. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I said at the beginning of the season that A'Shawn Robinson would be the Most Important Player on the team.

Because the defense would do exactly as well as he did. So goes A'Shawn, so goes the D. And so goes the D, so goes the team.

If he had experienced a breakout season and made a statement, we'd be in the playoffs. He didn't. He just played average. So our team was average. Defensive line was obviously our sorest spot going in. Ngata started out hot, but let's face it, he was on borrowed time. We were lucky to squeeze a few more productive games out of him before it was time for him to go to the glue works.

Spence was just average. Ledbetter, not bad but nothing special. Next season, I believe our team will again do exactly as well as A'Shawn and the defensive line do.
  7. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

That's being generous. As bad as you say Davis was (and he was), I don't think A'Shawn was any better. A'Shawn was more consistent, but at least Davis made some plays and showed some potential. I can't remember a single big play A'Shawn had all season.
  8. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

He was a monster in the Saints game. Got lost in how much of a disaster that game was. Thought he was turning a corner, but didn’t get much rest of the way.
  9. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Robinson wasn't what I'd call a liability in any area of his game. I think they envision him as this aggressive gap-shooter, but I just seem him as more of a traditional nose tackle -- where I think he could be excellent as opposed to just "okay" like he is now.

Davis ... man, he just gets burned SO BAD in coverage. Major liability there. And there's just no excuse for it when you consider his speed and athleticism. That was supposed to be why we drafted him. Instead, we just got ourselves another Tahir Whitehead.
  10. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Great post Dane. I have to agree with you, there is not many holes on the D that can't be fixed by a few FA acquisitions and draft picks. I would like to add Haloti Gnata wants to play one more year for Detroit. When he was a part of the DL during the first 5 games, ther run defense was only allowing about 74.5 yards/game. After his injury and departure, we gave up 130 yards/game on the ground.
    • If Gnata is healthy and in good shape, I say give him at least one more year.
    • Maybe pick up Muhammad Wilkerson as insurance in FA, if the price is right. He is a good run stuffer if motivated properly and can collapse the pocket during passing downs.
    • Edge Rushers, there is nothing in FA, so if Ansah is healthy, we need him for at least one more year.
    One thing we have learned from Quin's last two drafts, he likes to select the most athletic 'football players' at each position.
    • Vea is a very good pick, but he will most likely be gone before pick 20. Scouts compare him to Gnata and arguably the best DT coming out of college this year. After Vea, I would say the best value for DTs would be Harrison Phillips in the 3rd or 4th round.
    • Edge Rushers in the draft. Only 2 or maybe 3 guys (Key, Chubb, Ferrell) worth picking in the 1st round and probably gone in the top 15. I believe, like the DT position, there is value at Edge Rusher in the 2nd through 4th round. Sam Hubbard, Tyquan Lewis, Duke Ejiofor, Marcel Frazier, Rasheem Greene to name a few that would fit our present scheme.
    Personally I think our biggest fish to fry is the RB position. It is our #1 need. I am all for taking a RB in the 1st round this year and believe it will be the best value for pick 20.
  11. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I kind of doubt if Ngata is healthy and able to play at the NFL level again he would sign with the Lions now that Caldwell is gone, I have a feeling he was a Caldwell guy, look for him where ever Caldwell or Austin lands.

I think depending on how things pan out with Ansah the Lions should be looking at DT, DE, OG/C as priority positions, RB or TE if value presents itself, Vea would be a dream pick but seems unlikely without trading up but then again DE could be a massive need if Ansah is gone and still a major need even if he stays.
  12. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

Ngata wants to play for the lions again regardless of Caldwell being fired. Sign him for one year. Ashawn plays better when Ngata is out there with him.
  13. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

I guess we could bring him back a season. Gonna depend on the new coaching staff though.
  14. TheDane Well-Known Member

Gonna depend on the dough...
  15. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Stick a damn fork in him, already.
  16. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Agreed, it would have to be a incentive-laden contract where he met certain milestones.
  17. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Agreed, Spence was a poor substitute. He couldn't hold his ground against double teams like Gnata could.
  18. TheDane Well-Known Member

Sophomore STUD of the year: A’Shawn Robinson

Defensive tackle A’Shawn Robinson is the building block that the Lions’ defensive line will be established around. His sophomore season saw him land on the STUDS list three times because of sacks, swatted passes, blocked kicks and of course, a pick-six.
  19. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Sacks? Plural? He didn’t even have a full sack this season.
  20. TheDane Well-Known Member

Yep, but his tackles were way up and he had no help next to him. Still one of the team leaders in passes defended and he did have a pick 6. He did his job and improved.
  21. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

He was ok. He’s a good run defender and does a good job getting his hands on passes, but he provides nothing as a pass rusher.

Thought it was odd they listed sacks as a reason why he made list, when he didn’t even have 1.
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

That's some serious kool-aid there.
  23. jdb34 Pres. Wrist Cutter's Club

Looks like Austin is done, read an article on NFL.com that he left with Caldwell, dont recall seeing that anywhere else so not sure if true. If we get a new DC there will probably be some growing pains next year, so I dont see it improving much next year.
  24. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Totally depends on how different the scheme is the new D-coordinator brings with him.
  25. Strongbad Testicals... That is all.

It is that simple and has been for the past two year period.....