Lions Ravens

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Honolulublue4life, Dec 2, 2017.

1. littlekaps Member

Wow....what a joke that was today. The worst passing team since, well, Dilfer was their QB and we made Flacco look like Brady. My thoughts-

1) I always laugh when I hear Austin and Cooter for coaching vacancies. Dan Quinn went to Atlanta on the backs of the Seahawks D he built. Austin's defensive planning is horrible. The whole freaking world knows when he is going to blitz and his defense creates ZERO pressure. Cooter's running plays, etc. are crap.

2) Caldwell's message is old and done. His narrow emotional window doesn't get players fired up. Look at Dan Quinn in Atlanta, look at Mike McCarthy in Green Bay stomping around, look at Mike Zimmer redfaced and kicking ass when things are going well. Teams match their coach and to quote a Seinfeld episode, Caldwell is Vegetable Lasagna.

3) Stafford is hurt, that hand is broken, period. He is going on IR. Lions will finish 6-10 which will get us a top 7-8 pick which is going to be ok for us. Maybe we can package a trade with a pick and get Barkley at RB. Abdullah is garbage and I DON'T WANT TO HEAR A PEEP ABOUT GIVNG GREEN THE JOB.

4) Ansah needs to be told - 1 year, 1.5M prove it deal, that's it. He is horrible. He stinks...awful...He's probably 37 years old because you know how well they keep birth records in 3rd world countries.

5) Our offensive line....oh my god, what a greek tragedy. Wagner, disappointing....Lang, injury prone....Swanson, injured.....Glasgow, a glorified backup....Decker is the only one doing anything. No time to throw, no room to run. Just atrocious.

6a) Needs in offseason for defense (in no order) - DE, DT, DE, LB, LB, CB, SS. (Robinson, Davis, Slay and Quinn are only keepers)

6b) Needs in offseason for offense (in no order) - LG, C, TE, TE, RB, RB (Decker, Lang, Wagner, Roberts, Tate, Galladay, Jones, Stafford)

6c) I have shorter grocery lists than that.

6-10 here we go.
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

No time to throw? The OL has a couple hiccups after Wagner went down but time to throw wasn’t an issue.

Did coaching staff make Stafford fumble snap? Miss easy blitz pick up on Weddle? Throw into terrible double coverage?

Abdullah is garbage because Green gained 33 of his 51 yards on 1 carry? What about the other 10 for 18 yards?

I’ll blame coaching staff for 9 men on field on that 3rd down(huge play) and mismanagement at end of first half.

But blame some of the players. Get the fucking job done. NFL players for fucks sake.
  3. moridin Member

I don't know what the answer is. Nothing they ever do is right.

Quinn, while I have liked what he has done so far, it seems that the depth he was supposedly amassing has failed. It's not his fault that Lang and Wagner both were underwhelming (hell I'm more inclined to think it is the sceme).

It does fall on him that there was no attempt (as far as anyone knows) to upgrade the RB position (watching kamara tear it up in New Orleans while I type this hurts). It is his fault that the player he took in the second round this year hasn't been able to even dress with the team most of the season. It is his fault that he stood pat with this defensive line.

I mean, they could fire Quinn and put on a nation wide search and interview multiple candidates and seek professional help from other successful owners/gms that have had to make this search...naw, Martha will probably hire the brother of a friend of a sister of her hairdresser's because "he sounds nice".

I do know the coaching staff should be gutted. Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure.

Cooter seems clueless when it comes to actually designing a working offense (seems to only excell when Stafford wings it) and obviously doesn't know how to run block.
    Austin has failed miserably this year. This may not be his fault entirely, no dline hurts badly, but his scheme is stale and shows no life.
    Caldwell. Caldwell. Caldwell. This fraud should have been gone when Quinn was hired. This man has cost this team wins every year. Whether it's his horrible clock management (can't take the timeouts with you Jimmy boy) or the inability to count how many players should be on the feild. Or his horrible challenges. Or his conservative "we are up by 3, lets shut the offense down" mentality. Or...take your fucking pick.

In the end, even gutting the coaching staff won't matter because it will be the same fucking people hiring the new ones. But damn it, if they don't do something about this coaching staff in the offseason (if not immediately) than that is a huge slap in the face to every fan of this team.
  4. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Caldwell is not going anywhere. The Ford's won't allow it.
  5. moridin Member

I hate to agree, but I do. Especially with the extension this season and every thing. I can dream though.
  6. littlekaps Member

I'm pretty sure I listed who stays and who doesn't. We don't have good NFL Players. Look at how many on our team were draft picks that are starters NEXT YEAR-

DL - Robinson
    LB - Maybin, Davis
    DB - Slay, Killibrew
    OL - Decker, Glasgow, (Swanson resigned?)
    QB - Stafford
    RB -Riddick, Abdullah
    WR - Galladay

Horrible drafting from the Mayhew years. 6 of them from the last 2 years alone. I would let Ansah, Ebron, Whitehead and others disappear.
  7. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

Time for Caldwell to go.

At first I appreciate that he has done better than other recent Lions coaches but the team has collapsed....... again. I remember when we were 3-1 and so many cornbread media people and radio host were so high on this team. I told people "just wait" and then the 3 game losing stream happened.

This team is poorly coached and he has to go.
  8. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

In today's climate there can be no other metaphor than being raped, mugged and groped heavily by the refs vs. ATL. Since then This team has never been the same and have gone 4-6 in the last 10. Now we need to win out and hope a few pieces fall into place, as usual. Being a Lions fan - nothing comes easy and if Stafford goes down than that contract will hurt this team in the long run. Got to win out!

Got to win out to save this abortion of a season and yes we were bent over and severally assaulted.
  9. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Yeah this isn’t all on Mayhew. Quinn put together one of the worst DL’s in football. Spent a lot of money on 2 OL that haven’t necessarily been big upgrades over their predecessors. Failed to add any RB help to the stable in one of the deepest RB drafts in years.

I like Quinn, but the pass he is given by some is unreal.
  10. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

While I don't agree that is the reason they fell apart, even if true then this team doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs.

I don't have much to say about this game. It was just awful in every regard. I don't put it all on Stafford but he has not been good this year. But I think both lines have been the biggest issue with this team. No blocking and no pass rush. That is a recipe for disaster no matter who else you have.

I wouldn't mind losing out if it means getting rid of Caldwell and Cooter. Not convinced Austin is much at fault with what he has to work with.
  11. littlekaps Member

I don't disagree at all. With the O-Line, Lang vs. Warford is a wash and Lang cost just a tad less. Reiff didn't want Right Tackle money and took Left Tackle money in Minnesota where he has been stellar. (Coaching?) The D line is free agent washouts and undrafted free agent rookies. Not taking a Kumara or Hunt and taking Tabor was not good.

He can redeem himself by dumping Caldwell this year. Quinn definitely hasn't been spot on yet.
  12. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say Stafford hasn’t been good, but especially the last couple weeks, there’s been stretches in the games where he isn’t for sure and unfortunately it’s hard to make up for the slow starts and mistakes. The fumbles in the pocket have been a big issue this year, those were killers yesterday. That first snap was slightly off, he has to handle that and he has to recognize Weddle on the line presnap and get that ball out. Especially when they have the perfect route design with Tate wide open out of the slot.

And Austin had to take just as much blame as anyone else on this staff. He gets eaten up by read option against Bears, turns around and Vikings beat him with it early on Tday.(he also told Aikman he wasn’t worried about it). How many times are they going to be beat by play action on the goal line? Teams get inside 5 and it’s 7 because they know they can run action rollout to TE and it’s a TD. Not to mention he is absolutely a part of the blame for 10 men on field against Vikings and 9 yesterday. Which killed the little momentum Lions had.
  13. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Then blow it all up.

I say bring in McDaniels next year (the guy I think Quinn always wanted anyway but Martha wouldn't let him fire Caldwell when he came in).
  14. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

This team always feels like it's teetering on the brink of greatness, or total ineptitude. At any given moment.

But ... despite all of their weaknesses and moments of monumental calamity where you feel like you're watching the clown car pulling up at the Barnum & Bailey's Circus ... this team simply can't convert on 3rd and 1.

And because of that, we're looking at a team that probably won't make the playoffs, rather than one that could win the division.

And it's really that simple in my eyes. If that one flaw didn't exist, we'd all be speculating right now on who the Lions will play in the first round of the playoffs, after the Wildcards.
  15. goldenlions International Playboy

Well this is hard for me, on one hand I want Caldwell gone. On the other hand, I don't want to go to the game next week and want them to lose either. I was planning on going to watch, now it will be just to party, because I could see this team giving up and letting a bad Tampa team walk all over them.

This defense is garbage. Consistently letting a TE burn you at the goal line shows me that Austin is not worth a lick of salt. He will not be a head coach in this league until he gets a consistent game plan to maximize his players. The Cooter honeymoon is over and now just showing what he really is, a position coach.

Caldwell's ineptitude was on full display. The coach we should have was on that field yesterday. John Harbaugh showed what a real coach does and he showed up his former OC.
  16. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

While I agree with the latter, I don't recall ever thinking the former. Maybe "goodness" rather than "greatness".