Lions trade for Greg Robinson

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by badnews3123, Jun 15, 2017.

1. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Rams traded former No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson to Lions for a 2018 sixth-round draft pick, source tells ESPN.

Maybe the most wrong I've been on a guy in draft. Thought he was going to be a monster, he killed guys at Auburn.

Good low-risk chance.
  2. goldenlions International Playboy

Didn't they also sign Cyrus Kouandjio?
  3. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Just a visit.
  4. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

5. goldenlions International Playboy

Confirmed.

Joe Dahl must not be a viable option if they had to get two guys. Unless this is all just to see who emerges out of them all. Glad this happened now and not during the training camp or season.
  6. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Actually you are right.

Source: in addition to trading for Robinson, the Lions have signed former Bills second round OT Cyrus Kouandijo.
  7. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Think they prefer him at G long term and maybe don't want to mess with it.

Both guys are fairly low risk, in terms of cost. Think Rams are on hook for Robinson's guaranteed money, so he can be cut. Though giving up a pick would lead me to think he makes it. Think both offer some G versatility, too.
  8. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Follow Schwartz's timeline he's had a lot to say. Seems to think Lions scheme may be a much better fit for Robinson.
  9. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Yeah he was supposed to be the next Orlando Pace. I know he's been bad but I'm actually a little surprised the Rams gave up on him that quickly and didn't at least try him at guard. Even coming out there were some that thought he was better suited on the inside.
  10. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

They were going to try him at guard. But lions want d him so they took what they could get.
  11. lionsmack Right down the middle

One thing I can't argue with, Quinn is busting ass this off season trying to get as many pieces as possible to improve all facets of the team. Might work out, might not, but the effort is pretty clear.

Robinson or Kouandijo might not be locks to start, but at the very least it looks like Quinn saw Decker's injury and said oh yeah, that happens all the time in this league, I better get more guys who can play tackle. It'll be good to have one or both of these guys on the roster for when more injuries happen. Last thing we need is to put Cornelius Lucas out there again.
  12. Felix True Fan

It has been a tumultuous offseason for Kouandjio. He injured his hip during a fall at his home in January and then was found half-naked in a field after climbing over an electric fence in April, according to the Buffalo News. During the April incident, Kouandjio reportedly yelled "Shoot me" at the officers. He was not arrested but was hospitalized.

Think we can get Cullen to come coach him?
  13. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Ah yes. The old "Let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach.

Kouandijo is not a bad option -- he's been one of the better backup tackles in the league. And just in case he's found running around in his undies again, we've got a few backup plans to that backup plan.
  14. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

I'm OK with this approach to a major injury though. There's now 4 guys playing for one spot, one of them must be at least OK. Instead of going with Dahl or Lucas and saying 'Well, can't do anything about it now.' At least Quin is attempting to find a quick fix.
  15. Schuxu Well-Known Member

Why? Seems like he already knows everything Cullen could coach him.
  16. goldenlions International Playboy

Sounds like kouandijo has some mental or chemicals issues.
  17. Felix True Fan

:D lol
  18. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Now that I look at the $3 mil salary figure, I'm not so thrilled with this.

Cyrus is less of a risk, although I can't believe I'm saying this about a guy who was caught jumping electric fences in his undies. But these are tough times. Either way, I see Robinson as still a work in progress. We've already got a first-round bust with immense raw talent. That would be Tomlinson. And I wouldn't want to have to start him either. Nor do I see the point in paying actual money to another guy like that.
  19. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Cornelius Lucas is likely not making the roster now. He was had a 1.8 cap hit, so essentially you are taking on an extra 1.5 for Robinson vs Lucas.
  20. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Maybe a change of coaching will help Robinson. From what I have heard from Rams fans he always gets flags.
  21. TheDane Active Member

The change of coaching should be from O to D. He should rotate with Ngata.
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Oh yea, that's brilliant. He gets used as a floor mop at his natural position. Now you want to switch him to one he's completely unfamiliar with. Can't see how that could possibly go wrong.
  23. TheDane Active Member

Exactly right, over 20 penalties per season I believe. He's athletic as hell for a guy his size but he reminds me of George Foster, dude had the yips at the LOS. He ran under a 5 sec 40, over 30 rep's and his other numbers were good too. I absolutely would try this guy on the other side of the ball because he's done as an OL candidate.
  24. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

He's easily confused by anything that involves ... thinking.

If I switched him to defense, I'd just make him a situational guy. Pass rusher, 3-technique or whatever. Just tell him to go out there and beat the guy in front of him to the ball carrier or QB. And that's it.

Kind of like when they converted Forrest Gump to a kick returner.

Then again, even thinking about this kind of thing is just mentally stroking myself off because I'm obviously bored with life and have nothing better to do with it.
  25. TheDane Active Member

Thornton just got suspended for 6 games.