Matt Lefleur

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Liongeezer, Dec 26, 2017.

1. TheDane Well-Known Member

What happened to this guy?

[IMG]
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Add Packers assistant Winston Moss to list of coaches to interview.
  3. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

So is this saying that Quin believes Ron Prince may have been the main problem as far as blocking assignments and technique on the OL? I would think the OC and Head Coach would monitor and correct anything an assistant was doing. IOW a OL Coach would not have complete autonomy.
  4. Taking the team to the "next level" with an unproven coordinator seems unlikely in the short term. Stafford is in his prime, the Lions are in win now mode, not rebuild. Turning the reins over to an unproven HC seems like poor management. I liken the decision to when the Tigers took a talented roster, and turned it over to Ausmus. The results were putrid.

Since deciding to go in a different direction from Caldwell, Quinn must find a guy that can win now, not in the future. This roster is not void of talent, and in fact nearly beat Atlanta, the Steelers, and Carolina. All of which are potential Super Bowl contenders.
  5. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Absolutely agree. Good Post

I do love that Quin is taking that chance to go from mediocrity as we are now to playoff contender. Previous Lion's regimes would have stand pat.
  6. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

The more I read about Patricia, the more I like this guy. I think he will be our next coach. Shake it up Quin!
  7. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I say it’s likeky Patricia, outside chance of Vrabel.
  8. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

I think it's going to be Patricia as well. He will be on the same page with Quinn. I think Brian Flores makes the move along with Patricia. As for OC I think Cooter ends up staying.
  9. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I'm curious why Patricia hasn't been offered a head gig before. Or has he?
  10. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

He interviewed with the Browns in Jan 2016 and the Rams and Chargers in Jan 2017. But has not been offered a HC job yet.
  11. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I think he suffered from the idea that Bill Belichick is the sole brilliance behind the Patriots and the coordinators and assistants don't receive as much credit for teams success because of it, McDaniels failure as a head coach didn't help him either.
  12. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Cooter just got interviewed for the HC. What the hell is going on?
  13. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Patricia is smart, they said on one of the shows today he could actually become a gm if someone offered him the job. That's who I want a smart coach, but I want a little not as much as Schwartz attitude.
  14. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Local tv station here in Grand Rapids put out Nick Sabin's name on air as a possible candidate.
  15. goldenlions International Playboy

Not happening.
  16. goldenlions International Playboy

Courtesy interviews for Austin and JBC. Nothing more.
  17. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Find the exclusion of McDaniels interesting. Definitely seem to be heavy on defensive candidates outside of Shurmur, but that tells me either Quinn isn’t a fan or knows McDaniels is likely staying put unless he gets a deal with personnel control.
  18. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

I don't think Quinn is a fan. That's what it tells me.
  19. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Yeah I was gonna post the same thing. I seem to remember McDaniels turning down an offer last year. Or maybe it was he said he was staying put.

As for Patricia I do wonder if he's one of those guys better suited as a position coach or coordinator. Have to wonder why no one offered him a head gig in all those years with a winning organization and seemingly got the most out of his talent.
  20. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Agreed
  21. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Joe Cullen is now running naked as the Baltimore Defensive Line Coach.
  22. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I am just going to throw this theory out there. I remember there was a drastic difference in the offense when Cooter took over from Lombardi. Play calling improved and blocking assignments were made simpler. Stafford especially improved under Cooter's play calling, most likely from a better pass game design.

Additionally, Cooter's game planning against his division opponents is usually good with the Lions having a good division record in the last 2 years. IOW he has learned what to expect from our division opponents, he has countered and attack their weaknesses with his game plan. However, against opponents outside of the division, this year in particular, he was less than 500, and basically using the 'throw it against the wall and see what sticks' method against several teams as you mentioned. This screams to me as a lack of experience in attacking different defensive schemes that are used around the league.

Could part of the poor game planning against our conference and inter-conference opponent be execution of the players, absolutely. The lack of talent in the backfield (Quin's fault) and injury to the OL is definitely beyond his control. I also think it was very telling that Quin immediately fired Ron Prince the OL coach.

Therefore using this information as a basis for my theory, I would say Cooter had/has pretty much complete autonomy of the offense, but was strongly curtailed by other factors (lack of talent, injuries, OL Coaching deficiencies). I think Cooter has a keen offensive mind and given additionally support he would prove to be a strong asset for this team. I would consider keeping him based on the next HC recommendation.

Austin - I would let go. He was a big improvement over Gunther Cunningham, but has hit his ceiling and we need better.
  23. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

I think Austin is very player dependent. I think he needs high end talent to make his schemes work. So in the case of this year, where the pass rush was weak, and the LBs were at best mediocre, the D suffered. That being said, Baltimore's DC retired, if you stick Austin in Baltimore, Houston, NY, and Oakland I think those Ds could be very good. As opposed to getting hired to be the DC for the Colts, I think he struggles.
  24. Felix True Fan

Didnt he have one of the best D's of all time? I agree the D this year was dogshit, but christ, what talent did he have in the front 7?
  25. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I like whoever the guy is who coaches our secondary. Alan Williams.

But if Austin is the main guy behind the coaching of the secondary, then he's my dark horse.

Austin strikes me as a good coach. He did ... okay with nothing but a pile of pure shit. He inherited the same bunch of guys basically from Schwartz, and he coached that group way better than Cunningham and Schwartz did. The difference was dramatic. He managed to make some adjustments last year when all of his Linebackers went down. Thought outside the box and got creative with how he used his safeties.

Real dark horse though.