Money Linebacker

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by TheDane, May 22, 2017.

1. TheDane Well-Known Member

In my "Way Too Early Draft", I had us taking Nate Gerry as another LB, a money linebacker. We needed better coverage and he fits the bill. Apparently this is becoming more of a trend with Philly going that route this year with him too...

Nate Gerry learned that his NFL future might be at linebacker instead of safety during a predraft discussion with Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, who touted Gerry's versatility. He met with linebackers coach Ken Flajole, who drew plays to see if Gerry was capable of transitioning to the position.

The Eagles were satisfied enough in their research to select Gerry, a college safety at Nebraska, in the fifth round. The Eagles introduced him as a linebacker, and now the 6-foot-2, 218-pound Gerry has a chance to compete for a role on an unsettled linebacker unit.
    "The reason I would say that he could convert [from] safety [to] linebacker is, I think, the mental toughness, the physicality that he plays with," said Joe Douglas, the Eagles' vice president of player personnel. "But to me, he wasn't just a safety that could play down in the box. He was an athletic guy that could range all over the field, and I think you're going to see that range even more so at the linebacker position."

He ran a 4.58 at the combine and had 14 int's at Nebraska. When I hear Austin say that Killebrew is a safety, not a linebacker, I really wonder. He did OK when they had him play the position last year, and even though it appears on paper that we upgraded the LB position, I hope we aren't giving up on sliding him in.
  2. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I don't think it's totally out of the question.

But I also think Jalen Reeves-Maybin might make a more logical fit in that role. He's a lot like a safety playing linebacker.
  3. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Killebrew played well covering TEs last year. Hopefully, we will see a lot more of him this year. Whether he is at SS or moneybacker, does not matter to me. The kid is good and will be thumping people at either position.