My admittedly weak ties to the Lions

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Okay, so it's the offseason and I'm bored.

This is not some sort of earth-shattering news, and I'm not saying this because I want to thump my chest or brag about "insider sources" or anything like that. I don't work out at any gyms with Lions players, take showers with them or have connections at the Ritz Carleton hotel or the Westin or even Holiday Inn.

But a few things that some may or may not find interesting that I might as well share that I've never actually told anyone ....

- Certain family members of mine are very good friends with Wayne Fontes, going all the way back to his days of coaching football and basketball at Visitation High in Bay City, Michigan

- Certain family members of mine are also still good friends with some of Wayne's other friends who worked for years in the Lions' front office, and before that with Wayne and Rich McCay dating back to their Buccaneers days.

- Certain family members of mine are also very good friends with Tony Dungy, and I got a chance to talk with him personally last year when he was in Chicago for a charity event.

- I used to get boatloads and boatloads of insider information, which have completely dried up since roughly around the time Matt Millen took over.

- When my pre-Millen sources dried up, I struck up a friendship with Matt Millen's son, and the boatloads of information started back up very briefly. However, since I was sworn to secrecy at the time, I never shared any of that information. He knew that I posted on Lions message boards and was aware of my handles. So there was no way I could break that silence and still keep our online friendship.

- Millen's son knew of Tech Lion and had spoke with him. He thought Tech was basically a jackass.

- I still get tiny trickles of information indirectly through my ties to Dungy.

Now here's where it gets interesting ....

- I swore complete secrecy about any info I've received indirectly from Dungy.

- Since he is no longer involved as much with the Lions' organization, I can share a little bit of that info.

- One of those bits of info is that Dungy has visited the Redzone and has read some of the posts.

- Dungy found the Redzone to be a very entertaining place to get fan reaction. Along with a few other message boards related to the Lions and Colts.

- You might be wondering why the fuck Dungy gave a shit about the Lions and fan reaction on Lions message boards. Good question. And this is probably the worst-kept secret in the history of mankind, but I can tell everyone now on very good word that a lot of what we like to think of as the Millen and Mayhew years ... were really more like the Millen, Mayhew and Dungy years. As Dungy has been very, very involved with the Lions' dumpster fire years as a paid consultant.

As anyone here can probably guess, and again this is the least climactic news ever reported, but he has been the guy making every coach hire since Marinelli. Yea, I know. Duh, Rusty. Like we couldn't figured that one out. He has also been involved in every draft, just about every other major front office hire, assistant front office hires, assistant coach hires, and almost everything related from the time he left the Colts until the death of William Clay Ford Senior.

- Before Dungy was our "Ghost General Manager," Joe Gibbs held that role.

- Dungy remains a huge Lions fan.

- We have a new Ghost GM. I can't share his name because I promised it would not leave my lips. But it's really fucking interesting, and the story behind how he hooked up with the Lions' organization is pretty bizarre.

- Although he moreless hand-selected Quinn as our General Manager and continues to whisper in his ear, they have been at odds numerous times. This is in stark contrast to the situation with Dungy. In other words, where Millen and Mayhew would basically just run and do whatever Dungy suggested, there is some healthy debate going on between our current Ghost GM and real GM.

- One of the things they have disagreed on is the retention of Jim Caldwell as head coach.

- The only thing I will share with you for now about the current Ghost GM is that he has ties to the Ravens' organization (and the Browns from when they used to be the Browns). However, if anyone wants to throw out any guesses, I'll PM you if you guess right.
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Accorsi would be an obvious guess since he played part in hiring process is Accorsi, but don't think he has any ties to Ravens.

Ozzie pulling double duty?

At least this is mildly interesting during the dead season.
  3. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Assuming I even buy any of this, I would have guessed Phil Savage.
  4. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Lions been loading up on Senior Bowl guys?
  5. TheDane Active Member

Hook, line and sinker...
  6. TechLion Super Genius

Cool stuff Rusty.

As for Millen's son, would you expect him to say anything good about me since I relentlessly ripped on his Dad more than anyone in the world. Millen and his son read the Redzone regularly and Millen's son was a member of this board and posted a few times. This site had some influence back in the day. Several journalists and Lions front office personal visited this site regularly. If you recall a Lions attorney contacted me immediately after I posted inside information about Raiola sexually harassing a server in Plymouth.

One of my favorite Lions moments is when I got in a heated argument with Lewand in front of about 30 people. I wish I had that on tape because it almost got out of control.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Yes, I remember that one well. I was busy kissing ass, trying to get Raiola's attorney and Millen's son to keep posting here. Meanwhile, you kept pissing him off. :D I don't even remember Millen's kids' handle. Think it had something to do with a video game was in to. He was a big-time nerd, but nice enough guy.
  8. TheDane Active Member

Mathew Millen, Matt's son, posted regularly on the previous board and would give information to ManeLion/Cochise all the time. He won the fantasy league that he was in with us and it almost killed him when Matt picked BMW. Up until the pick everyone thought that we were going with Demarcus Ware, Millen had told everyone that's what they would do if he was there. What a fucking maroon. Mathew would have been a better GM, really...
  9. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Chewy. Now I remember. It was Chewy, right?
  10. lionsmack Right down the middle

OK Rusty, if you're telling the truth I can float this theory to you and you can tell me how far off it is. I've developed this theory over the last few years but never talked to anyone about it because it's a little far fetched and also, there's no one who could validate it.

My theory is, Martha has been the true driving force behind team ownership for many long years, going back long, long before WCF's death.

Certain signs point to it, such as the Lions never having cheerleaders again after the alleged hotel event in the 1960's, until WCF passed on. Such as Martha taking over the team and WCF Jr. getting pushed out, and Martha seemingly being all set to go with Sheila Hamp, Martha Morse and Elizabeth Kontulis coming aboard as vice chairs, and hiring Rod Wood, family counsel, as CEO. A wife who inherits a team she was never really involved in doesn't do what Martha did, imo.

Looking back on the years prior to WCF's death, I was always confused as to his actual role running the team, based on his almost invisible public profile and also, in the few appearances he did make in the 90's and after, the fact that he seemed so timid and bland, never really saying anything or acting in a manner that made you think he was on top of running the show.

Finally, if you look at the way the Lions have been run since the 1990's, they have almost never constructed the team in a defense-oriented manner or built around tough, violent players. They have almost always gone offense first, gone after the QB, the wide receivers, the pass-blocking linemen, seeking after a flashy team that plays exciting offense. It might be sexist to assume that a woman would be more likely to construct a team that's fun and finesse rather than mean and violent. But there it is.

What do you think of this?
  11. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

12. goldenlions International Playboy

I think I was half drunk most of the time during the "good ole" bad days of the Lions message boards, as I could not remember a lot of what has been brought up. But it all is flooding back, so thanks for the memories. I always thought you guys were insane to bother or try to talk or convince people to come here. It seems like one Millen was gone things died down.

If I had to guess on the Ghost GM, it is probably Phil Savage as he ties to both organizations (along with Belichick) and hasn't been tied to anyone for a couple years.
  13. goldenlions International Playboy

Martha is basically a walking puppet, at age 91 years of age you aren't doing much but eating pudding and ready the paper.
  14. Felix True Fan

15. Felix True Fan

16. Vic Turner Just Sayin

This is very Ritzesque

If this has any truth my guess as ghost GM would be Billick but not sure how much he has to do with the Browns.
  17. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Ties could be a lot of things. Just sayin'