My "Way too Early Draft"...

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by TheDane, Dec 16, 2017.

1. TheDane Well-Known Member

1) Vita Vea DT 2017 Pac 12 Defensive player of the Year
    2) Will Clapp C First Team Sec 2 years in a row. Big 6'4" and 314 Swanson is done.
    3) Tyquan Lewis DE I tried to find a 2nd round DE where we pick but there's a whole pack after the first round that have similar talents and I think Lewis is available here.
    4) Rashaad Penny RB Multiple threat guy who rushed for over 2,000 yards THIS year and was 3x first team Mountain West Special Teams POY.
    5) Tre Flowers S 2x 2nd team Big 12.
    7) Joel Lanning OLB OK, this is my homer pick. He moved from QB to LB EFFORTLESSLY. In the win against Oklahoma he played 78 snaps. 57 on D, 13 on O and 8 on special teams. Iowa State will be playing Memphis in the Liberty Bowl. Besides Lanning there are 2 WR's to watch, Lazzard for ISU and Miller for Memphis, both underrated IMO.

Anyway, I usually do an UDFA grouping but I'll wait until all the underclassmen declare. Have at it...
  2. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I would be pretty happy with that, I would love to see the defensive line get a massive infusion of talent like Vea.
  3. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

We are wasting a draft pick drafting a RB other than 1st round. If you are serious about establishing a dependable running game you have to go for the best available instead of trying to turn coal into diamonds like they have been. Draft RB in first round or don't draft one.
  4. TheDane Well-Known Member

Really? Do I need to re-visit the "Jordan Howard" thread?

How about Jamaal Williams? "In his last three games, Williams has been one of the most productive running backs in the entire NFL, accounting for 376 total yards and five touchdowns." He NEEDS to start and get in rhythm to make his numbers. Now that he is the lead back, his numbers are climbing.

And I'm not even going to look up Hunt, do you even follow the NFL?
  5. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Don't forget about Kamara who's better than all of them.

None of them would be doing what they're doing on the Lions though.
  6. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Vea would be a major addition.

Penny would great too.

Love to get Quentin Nelson on this OL, but he’s going top 10.
  7. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

I am all in for the Lions either a) getting Mark Ingram or Le"Veon Bell, or b) trading up for Barkley or Chubb.
  8. TheDane Well-Known Member

Kamara is coming off of a concussion and missed a game but my problem with him was that he has had surgeries on both knees in the last couple of years.
  9. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I clicked on this thread because I enjoy the temporary self-esteem boost I get from watching mentally-challenged people struggle to put together coherent thoughts.

But the first three picks are actually pretty decent, and I wouldn't have a problem with it. Although I think Clapp might be a bit of a reach there (could see him available in round 3). I'd prefer a bigger guy (like Will Hernandez, but I could see his stock climb if he has good workouts).

As much as this is going to cause choruses of crying, weeping and sadness ... I'm afraid our "RB or else" crew is going to have to hold off yet another season, because we're in deep shit at Guard/Center and Defensive Tackle. Although I could see picking up a free agent to add to the mix. And yes, Rashaad Penny is a real good one.
  10. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

If there is value at RB by all means grab one and that doesn't mean it has to be in the 1st round there are plenty of good prospects at RB outside of the elite names in the 1st round, as far as guard and center being too big of needs to spend draft pick on a RB I guess I disagree, considering they just spent all that money on Lang and Wagner, have a 1st round pick in Decker it is time the staff actually finds or develops something at the other two spots maybe it's a mid level free agent or a later round draft pick but lets see all of this free agent money spent wisely for once and not be hamstrung in the draft into selecting for need over value.

They need talent on the defensive line first and for most, the defensive line is a disgrace.
  11. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

He did? I know he injured both knees last year but I'm not aware of anything that required surgery. I could be wrong, but I thought it was pretty minor.
  12. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Either way. He’s been one of the best offensive players in the league before an unrelated injury.
  13. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

We're talk g Detroit not Chicago. Detroit has sucked drafting running backs other than Simms or Sanders. Other teams results are irrelevant.
  14. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

So how did the Lions investments with Kevin Jones and J. Best turnout?
  15. TheDane Well-Known Member

Best was one of the top RB's in the league as well but he was a ticking time bomb. We pick Ebron, who had a history of injuries and drops, and he didn't disappoint as we got injuries and drops. Same with Pettigrew. There were safer bets in a deep RB draft class last season. I'm happy for his success but he was also a head case in college and there are reasons why he didn't go any earlier.
  16. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

And Ameer Abdullah. And Kevin Smith. And Brian Calhoun. And Reggie Bush.
  17. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Yea, like playing for a College Football program (Tennessee Volunteers) that might be the biggest embarrassment in sports history. It was obvious they had a superstar and they barely even used him.
  18. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Are you still talking about Kamara? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't remember any off field issues with him. He had a traffic ticket that he didn't show up in court for (big deal). Or was it that he switched schools? He knew he wouldn't get much playing time at Alabama so left. Can't blame him for that.
  19. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Have you checked out this RB class yet MB? This year's RB crop is a little bigger and may be faster than last year (2017). We could get a good RB in the 2nd through 4th that could help us a lot.
  20. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Good draft Dane. I really like Vea. This is going to be a pretty good draft with a lot of talent. Can't wait.
  21. TheDane Well-Known Member

He didn't leave Alabama voluntarily.." Due to "behavioral issues", Saban banned Kamara from practicing with the team and suspended him from their bowl game; his scholarship was withdrawn after he was arrested for driving without a license."
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Wow, driving without a license. Did he jaywalk on his way to the car, too?
  23. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Wasn't aware of all that. For what it's worth I talked to a buddy who is a diehard Tennessee fan and alum and he said while what you said is true, he was a model citizen once he got there.
  24. TheDane Well-Known Member

I'm sure he was, he has all the talent in the world and was at his 3rd university. There was never a question about his skills, there simply was no reason to throw the dice with a deep RB class.
  25. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Same idiot who was clamoring to draft Joe Mixon. The poster boy for model behavior.