My "Way too Early Draft"...

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by TheDane, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I like Nick Wilson (Arizona). He would have been a top prospect if he wasn't always injured. But since RBs get injured and it's just part of being a RB, I wouldn't freak out too much out of it, and he'd certainly be worth the risk in the 7th round.
  2. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Bryce Love won the Doak Walker award as best RB in college football 2017.

3. I really like Rashaad Penny, great vision, size, and speed combination. Only 4 RB before Penny have ever rushed for more than 200 YDS in five straight games, #20 was one of the four. I don't think he slips to the 4th round, if he's there in RD 3, I say you grab him.
  4. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

Guice was mocked the Lions for a bit recently, before getting flipped into defensive linemen, fwiw.
  5. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

Was it 2008? We had the chance to take Chris Johnson for RB, but took Godser Cherilus? I always wondered how things would have looked with Chris Johnson in Detroit. 4.27 combine speed? We need a guy like that, a sheer speedster that gets to second level in a blink.

Then we took Kevin SMith over Jamaal Charles lol, ugg
  6. TheDane Well-Known Member

I think Penny makes it to the 4th baring a big senior bowl game. The reason why is that's the round Donnel Pumphrey was taken in and he was a 2x MWC offensive player of the year. You have to ask yourself whether it was the player or the team. The thing that could really solidify Penny in the 3rd is how much a team might covet his special teams play. This draft is going to, once again, give us the chance to upgrade our RB corps, but as we have already seen Quinn doesn't consider it a need worth addressing.
  7. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Pumphrey is also 175 lbs soaking wet. I think that had more to do with his draft position than anything else. Penny reeks of a guy that some team will covet and trade up to take him higher than 30 of the 32 teams had him at. I wouldn't mind getting him though. 4th is a no-brainer.
  8. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I think he goes in the 2nd at the latest, especially if he runs a 4.5 forty yard dash.
  9. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

If you want some jets, Bryce love baby.
  10. goldenlions International Playboy

DE, 1st round
    RB, 2nd round

Best ones available.
  11. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

I'd also maybe go high with a QB, put pressure on Stafford.
  12. My way too early, pre combine draft;

RD 1 - Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
    RD 2 - Tremaine Edmunds, OLB, Virginia Tech
    RD 3 - Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
    RD 4 – Rashaad Penny, RB, SD State
    RD 5 - Beau Benzschawel, G, Wisconsin
    RD – 6 Marquis Haynes, DE/OLB, Ole Miss
    RD – 7 Toby Weathersby, OT, LSU
  13. CapnCrunch who gives a crap?

We don't have picks in every round if I'm not mistaken. Hurst will be gone before the 3rd round, other than that.....sure, why not
  14. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Your first three guys will probably go in the top 40. Ferrell most likely in the top 15. Good choices though. Lions do not have a 6th round pick (Rams for Greg Robinson) and I am not sure about the 7th round. It may go to Tampa, depends on conditions of trade for Jonathan Banks.

15. You are correct Sir, the Lions traded a 6th RD pick in 2018 for Greg Robinson. Maybe we will have some compensatory picks? Or, if I were GM trade Riddick, and Ameer Abdullah for picks. I have seen Mocks with Hurst as high as #12, and as low as the early 4th. How he plays today, and combine results could move is meter.
  16. TheDane Well-Known Member

GBN has their top 100....Vita Vea is listed at #20, coincidentally where we pick...

20 Vita Vea DT 6-5 340 Washington JR
  17. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

From what I have read Hurst is a 1st round talent.
  18. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Dallas has a very strong need at DT. They pick at 19. I got a feeling he will have a star on his helmet.
  19. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

On many of the better draft sites he is a 1st rounder.
  20. CapnCrunch who gives a crap?

I actually like Hurst better then Vea. I haven't seen much of Vae but did watch the bowl game and was not overly impressed, made zero impact in the game.
  21. TheDane Well-Known Member

Vea wasn't even suppose to play, he was sick. And Hurst is ranked above Vea. I have always tried to match my picks with players I believed would be available where we pick. There are usually 11 DT's taken in the top 100, if Vea is gone when we pick to Dallas as has been suggested, I would wait until the second or third.
  22. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I love Hurst's quickness, burst and motor gives you visions of a slightly less talented Aaron Donald he would give them a pass rush up the middle immediately, however Vea has the physical talent to be Ngata when he was young with the Ravens, if both are available you would be looking at a choice between immediate pass rush upgrade vs. superior potential.
  23. TheDane Well-Known Member

If they get Ngata back on a CHEAP incentive laden deal, it would be great so either one could rotate.
  24. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Anything is possible I suppose, if he recovers and if he wants to play for the Lions why not clearly given the drop off once he got injured he is better than anything they replaced him with, but I always had him coined as a Caldwell/Austin guy who at this point in his career wants to play for his coach more so than a team or contract.

I am more excited for this offseason than I have been in years and I am a sucker for immense talent on the defensive line so Vea definitely has my eye.
  25. TheDane Well-Known Member

"Ngata turns 34 later this month and gave retirement serious consideration last offseason. He ended up tearing his biceps in Week 5 and missed the remainder of the season. "I think if I finished the year healthy I would have been a little closer to probably retiring, but I want to finish the season so I think I want to keep on playing," Ngata said. He said he "definitely" wants to stay in Detroit."

He was over paid last season not just because of the injury. $4 million with incentives...