Pass-distribution with and without Calvin

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, May 16, 2017.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Some interesting metrics:

Some Detroit fans brought up the “Ewing Theory” when discussing the Lions’ post-Megatron future. Popularized in 2001 by Bill Simmons, Ewing Theory was by Simmons’ friend Dave Cirilli when he noticed the New York Knicks seemed to play better when star center Patrick Ewing wasn’t on the floor.

While some wrote the Lions off completely when Johnson walked away, others theorized Stafford would have to execute the entire offense at a high level without Johnson there as a crutch.
    Lo and behold:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Felix True Fan

What am I missing?

Oh, right...numbers....
  3. goldenlions International Playboy

I bet if you look at any team with a talent on the level as CJ, you will see the QB favors that player versus distributes the ball around. First that came to my mind is Antonio Brown.
  4. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Saw the article on PFF, Staffords completion % has steadily increased the past few seasons and has distribution has been more spread out. Even when Calvin was here it started to turn the corner and improve. Cooters offense has also made a big difference.
  5. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

A brain, mostly.

For years, you professed your love of all things Martin Mayhew. You thought he was a genius, and that his philosophy of concentrating salary cap space in to a few hands and building an imbalanced team wasn't to be questioned -- because we're just fans and fans can't be smart like NFL GMs (i.e. Your hero, Mayhew).

Some of us made the argument that Stafford might even do better if we had a more balanced group, because he could get the ball in more hands. Fast forward a few years and your heros are gone, we're spreading out the cap dollars, our receiving core is cheaper, we're involving more players and we're a better team.

I could care less about being right about this. Don't need to thump my chest. Just finding the vindication satisfying. Probably tastes a little better than the crow you've been eating.
  6. Vic Turner Just Sayin

What CJ did do is draw double coverage and forced the defense to run nickel and dime schemes and soft fronts. Its not CJ's fault that the Lions OL was too inept to take advantage of the mismatches. We also have a different OC calling plays, so I have a hard time seeing CJ as a crutch. The offense is different without Linehan calling the plays. Linehan is a different play caller with the Cowboys, its all about personnel. I think what we see is Bolden as a solid number three WR, haven't had that since Brett Perriman.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I think we may have that again with Golladay. And if not specifically Golladay, then a combination of these freakishly big targets who create mis-matches. Talking about Michael Roberts and yea, even Ebron in that group. Like the identity they're forming. Big guys, fast guys, yards-after-catch guys. Exciting group.
  8. Felix True Fan

WTF are you babbling about, Cunt? Look at your pie graphs...one has values, one does not...how the fuck am I supposed to know what the fuck a pie graph represents without any numbers?

I wasnt arguing for or against anything, just not sure what the fuck I was looking at since there are no numbers...fucking dumbass
  9. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Nice to know I didn't hit a sensitive nerve or anything.

You're pretty cranky. Cheer up. I want you to go look in the mirror.and repeat after me:

I, Felix am a worthwhile-ish person (Kind of). I will not allow my complete lack of all human integrity to stand in the way of living a happy and fulfilling life.

:eek: