Paul Pasqualoni : WTF????

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Seriously.

What The Fuck?
  2. Roaring20 Member

It's worth mentioning when he was in the NFL Pasqualoni ran a 3-4 defense. I think he's just a face. I think Patricia can & will over-ride him as he see's fit.
  3. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

It just reeks of a Steve Mariucci "loyalty hire."
  4. goldenlions International Playboy

I am pretty sure Patricia will be calling the defense, so yeah....
  5. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Yeah he was probably the only guy he could find willing to accept that title but just be a stooge and get him his coffee.
  6. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Stupid.

There's more to being a d-coordinator than just calling plays. This guy hasn't done anything noteworthy in his entire career.
  7. tepod2001 Active Member

I love how this site crucifies a guy before he works a week for the team. We have been beaten down by the past so badly that we already assume failure
  8. goldenlions International Playboy

That's what this site is for, the ultimate in pessimism. So that way, if you happen to be right years down the road, you can say "I told you." Kind of pathetic if you ask me, but people have goals and being right about anything, even if they don't want it to be so, is the most important aspect of their fanhood.

There are other board full of sunshine and rainbows, I am surprised they still have visitors with the amount of cock grabbing going on those sites.
  9. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I've always been very vocal about the things I like and am optimistic about.

My comments and prognostications, etc. are about 60%positive to 40% negative.

And yea, sometimes being right about things is kinda' fun. For the same reason betting is fun. It's fun making hypothesis about the future, then watching things play out and seeing how close you were to the mark.

I remember sitting at the Bears game this year with my friend at Soldier field saying "Watch out for this kid Kenny Golladay from Northern Illinois. Bet he scores a TD." Then two plays later: boom!
  10. bigdogchris One-trick pony pwner.

... and the Colts thought they had the right guy with McDaniels. Whether you like a guy or not before he even hits the field is irrelevant.
  11. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Irrelevant. But fun.
  12. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

1) What happened to Austin? Was he fired or did he quit?
    I'll say it again. Hiring a DC as a HC has never, ever worked for us and I don't see that trend changing. The Detroit Lions owners/GM's are about as clueless a bunch of sad sacks as there ever have been! I am not sure if it's the air in the Ford Field offices or the mold in the Lion's locker room, but how is it that year after year, decade after fucking decade, do we seem to find a new, bigger nitwit even dumber than the last?

We have had incompetence for longer than anyone cares to remember, all with different faces and the ones coming in are just as idiotic as the ones who just left.

Bah!

There are so many great head coaches available, perhaps slightly older...Jimmy Johnson? Bill Cowher? You may say old, but I say wise.

Patricia has ZERO experience in HOW TO RUN A WHOLE TEAM! He can run a defense, but what about how he deals with the players? 52 players, 52 personalities, 52 sets of problems...
    This team needs an exorcist, not a Defensive Coordinator.

I hope I am wrong, because apparently he "has a pretty cool beard." Pff, yeah that will help.
    The Eagles DC (Schwartz) out-schemed him in the Super Bowl, maybe we should have hired the Eagles DC...oh wait a minute...we already did! AS A HEAD COACH! Well, guess where he is now? DC for SB champs! He is not a head coach...
    Same shit different decade.
    Fuck it.
  13. goldenlions International Playboy

Sorry def, everything you just ranted on just shows how out of touch you might be.
  14. lionsmack Right down the middle

Jimmy Johnson? You for real? Why don't we go get Bill Parcells first
  15. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

It was a joke. The point I was trying to make was there are good head coaches out there! This hiring DC thing just isn't working. Maybe Patricia breaks that mold. I am not a coach guru. I know players so excuse my out of touchness. All I know is hiring Coordinators is a recipe for losing. The only way to change the future is to understand the past. Right? lol

Or better yet, why not promote from within? Why not promote Austin? I get Patricia was on the PAtriots, but other than that, does anyone else think he is a good choice for HC?
    Bruce Arians
    Jack Del Rio
    Fisher
    We should have went after Grudin, imo
  16. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I've said it before but def does his coaching searches with a shovel...

That being said I was a big pro Austin guy I think the defense got the short end of the resource straw and he was left holding the bag, but at the end of the day he was a Caldwell guy and I get the desire from Quinn to get his own guy in there, plus Patricia brings an analytical dimension that's new, so I am excited to see the changes.
  17. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

You're right hunter. I should not knock this, because I don't really know much about Patricia. I am a draft guru, you know this. Coaches on the other hand, is like Chinese Algebra for me.
  18. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I thought Austin did exceptionally well adjusting to the fact that he had pure shit for his front 7.

So what did he do? Crafted a bend-don't-break defense featuring versatile safeties who could step up and help the poor linebacking unit, while having his CBs keep everything in front of them. Which is the only thing you can do when you don't have a capable front 7. And somehow, he managed to have a winning record like that two seasons in a row.

Our secondary was exceptionally well-coached. And even if our d-line underperformed, I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that our defensive line was poorly coached. Kocurek is very highly regarded around the leauge.

Overall, I'd say Austin took lemons and made something that kinda' passes as lemonade. The only utility I see in hiring Matt Patricia was personality. Caldwell lacked passion. Patricia is all heart and passion.
  19. goldenlions International Playboy

The Lions defense has way more talent than the Patriots do. Considering the defense let the team down over and over when it mattered, I find that if a coach can make the players they have succeed even if they lack talent, he would be an improvement over a coach that didn’t get his team primed when the game was on the line.
  20. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

His defense was successful with good interior linemen who could bring pressure up the middle.

Noticeably more successful than under Schwatz. He took Schwarz and Cunningham's vision and made a finished product of it.

And Schwartz is one of the better D-coordinators in the league. Austin did way more with the same talent.
  21. lionsmack Right down the middle

Austin did way more when he had Suh and Deandre Levy at his best. When he didn't have those things his D was never more than slightly above average.
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Suh and Levy never fully came in to their own under Schwartz/Cunningham. There were always big holes in their game. They played undisciplined and out of control.

Under Austin, they played like disciplined athletes playing a professional sport. Ditto for Slay. And let's not even get started on how much Glover Quinn blossomed in his second season under Austin.
  23. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. I'd say they are both well below average. It's splitting hairs beyond that.
  24. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Lions D has more talent than D they were putting out there at end of the season.

Both have incredibly shitty DL’s.