Re-shaping the team...

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by TheDane, Feb 4, 2018.

1. TheDane Well-Known Member

If the Lions want to be like NE here are the area's that they need to clean up. Fumbles, for whatever reason whether it is "deflate gate" or simply coaching, NE is at the bottom every year. Last year they lost 4, we lost 11 with the majority coming from Stafford. They had a running game, which is part of the reason Stafford had the fumbles because of having non-stop pressure. We were dead last in KO returns, DEAD LAST, but we were first in punt returns. (I know, how the fuck does that work?). FG's, we were 12th but it's totally from attempting more from 50+ than any team in the NFL, we were 7-11. He only missed 1 inside 50 all season, so we're good. Punting? Site was down but I actually liked the guy who replaced Martin better last year, we'll see what comes. We were slightly ahead of them in penalty yards. They were 4th and 5th in 3rd and 4th down conversions, we weren't on the radar.

When you are one dimensional on O, well then good luck on 3rd and 4th down. If you can't run, good luck on 3rd and 4th down. We still have dumb fucks here think a real NFL RB doesn't matter. Plenty of examples of what happens when you have one and then don't, just look at Zona. Plenty of examples of what happens to us when we don't, the last 3 seasons. Our D scored 5 TD's, NE had zero. Our D forced a LOT of TO's last year, we forced 32 and they forced 18, and yet we gave up almost a TD more in points per game. Those numbers don't add up.

The truth of the matter is that Patricia is being handed a team with problems that can be turned around in a single season. The running game CAN be fixed in one season. You CAN fix it, you CAN fix schemes and play calling. The D did OK considering the demise of the DL. We had no depth and starters playing injured, etc. Help on the DL, fix the running game, depth in the LB corps, all doable. There should be no excuses, none. FA and the draft will say a whole lot about the staff and for me Quinn hasn't been impressive so far.
  2. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Well the running game and the defensive line can't exactly be fixed that easily, on the DL the Lions basically need two starters right off the bat and depending on what you think of Ansah and what is done with his contract three plus you need depth, with the running game who knows what will fix it taking a mid round RB, adding a OG/C and hopefully a better scheme can turn it around.

I think this team is in a good window while Stafford and Slay is in their prime you have two players that are top 5 at their position, Quin and Tate are still playing at a high level but lets remember both are getting to the age were father time can take its toll, Quinn has the opportunity to get this team to the next level but he needs a lot of pieces in a few units.
  3. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I don't think this really takes a whole lot of in-depth analysis.

They need to get back to "building the trenches."

As cliche as that sounds. We still need help on the offensive and defensive lines. With emphasis on being able to run the ball and put pressure on the QB.

It ain't rocket surgery.
  4. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Agreed. I don't see this being difficult at all. Quin has already been drafting or acquiring FA talent with the capability to fit either a 4-man or a 3-man line. Pass rushing OLBs and a Great RB is what this team needs.

After seeing VanNoy flowering in NE for the last year and a half under Patricia, I don't think I like what Austin did to him in 2016 and last season to Miles Killebrew. I mean once these guys got in his dog house he basically treated them with total disdain and not play them or develop them at all. I am glad Austin is gone. If I was a player on the defense and seen Austin do that, not once but twice, to someone, it would affect my attitude to play hard for the asshole. What I am essentially saying is; just the coaching change alone will improve the defense, at least their attitude.
  5. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I kind of get what you’re saying Geezer, because I think they gave up a little quick on Van Noy.

That said Malcom Butler just got benched for the Super Bowl last night after playing 97% of the snaps this year and seemed baffled as to why.

Don’t know the behind the scenes, but that goes for both situations.
  6. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Yeah I noticed that. Don't know WTF was going on there. The Eagles definitely went after Rowe with Alshon Jeffery. Jeffery was not stymied until the Pats put Gilmore on him. By then, the damage had been done. They also had nobody to handle Agholor.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I wouldn't exactly say Van Noy has "flowered." :D

He fills a role in that defense. He's also highly expendable. Just like he was with the Lions. The only difference is he has an actual role in New England's defense.
  8. goldenlions International Playboy

Good coaches make the most of their talent.

Mediocre coaches need superior talent to be successful.
  9. lionsmack Right down the middle

Every coach needs superior talent to be successful. BUT, some coaches can even fuck that up