Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Honolulublue4life, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Did you see Penny's burst through the hole and the patented extra gear on the 34 yard run. He nearly took that run to the house. The safety had the angle and barely got there to push him out of bounds. He will run a 4.5 forty. He is the total package. May have to work on pass protection and route running, but this kid will be good.
  2. Penny may be the best RB in this draft. He could climb into the 1st.
  3. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

It’s gonna kill you if he runs a 4.58 isn’t it?
    TheDane likes this.
  4. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Actually, I am going to ask you this question. Why does it bother you so much that my criteria for a RB includes both size and long speed? You can't stand it, can you? Why?
    For someone that has a good knowledge of football as presented by excellent posts, I would think that you would agree to try to draft or acquire through free agency the most complete RB to help the Lions win. But for some reason you don't care about long speed, I don't understand the thinking.
  5. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I’m busting your balls Nancy, settle down.

But if you do suddenly back off on him because of a 40 time after gushing about him for a month, because that is stupid.
  6. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

The DE from OU was impressive. Short, but explosive. Make a nice situational pass rusher.
  7. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I know this has been repeated ad nauseam but 40 times can be a poor measure of football speed, there are a tiny fraction of football plays where a player runs full speed in a straight line for 40 yards, if a guy like Penny looks that explosive and fast on the field no one should care what his 40 time is.
  8. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Explosion drills and 10 yd split are best measure for a RB. But yes, there’s so much more in play when a guy gets on the field vs the combine.
  9. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

10 yard split is definitely king if you're gonna look at that nonsense.
  10. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

I think when it's all said and done Penny is going to be a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. I went and watched youtube videos and the senior bowl, I am impressed. There are other rbs in this class I like, but I would be joyed if Penny was a Lion.
  11. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

So now your joking, huh Gertrude. Here is the thing. Game speed is more important than a 40 time. Some players can run better in pads than others. Some players can't run a good 40 time because of bad technique. Comparison between film and running times always confirms what the case may be.

However there are exceptions to game speed. Sometime a player will have slow competition and just look fast on film (i.e. the Big Ten/Slow). Then the 40 time becomes more important.

P.S. Penny has an extra gear. He also tied CJ Spiller for the most KO Return TDs in college history with 7. So I am not worried about being a hypocrite.
  12. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

The 10 yard split, (phone booth speed) 3 cone drill (pass rush DE), measurements (length, height, weight) bench press, (upper body strength) 20 yard shuttle, (lateral agility), and broad jump and vertical jump (burst or fast first step) are important for DL.

The 20 yard split, and 40 time, (Acceleration) measurements, (length, height, weight) broad Jump and vertical Jump, (Burst) and 20 yard shuttle (lateral agility) are important to RBs and WRs.

Quin always pays close attention to these numbers and will, most of the time, select the players with the best overall athleticism. So yeah the underwear Olympics is important to rate players.