Sporting News name Stafford as the most over rated QB in the NFL

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Vic Turner, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Vic Turner Just Sayin

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/46...-orakpo-antrel-rolle-reggie-bush/slide/330247

By: Evan Jankens
    @kingofthekc
    It’s tough[IMG] to be the closer for the Tigers, the goalie for the Red Wings and the QB of the Detroit Lions.
    Matthew Stafford is the best QB the Lions have had in my lifetime. I know I am only 31 and the best has yet to come but I have never seen any QB get this much grief from the fan base.
    The Lions are the same team that put Jon Kitna, Mike McMahon, Joey Harrington, Daunte Culpepper and Rodney Peete, among others, on the field in my lifetime.
    Now one national publication is starting to preach what Lions fans say daily on 97-1 The Ticket.
    The Sporting News put out their list of the most overrated players in the NFL.
    The Lions Matthew Stafford tops the list for QBs.
    Here is what they have to say about Stafford:
    Stafford has gotten one of the all-time free passes over his six-year career. He’s a quarterback who was the No. 1 overall pick, has been paid a ton of money[IMG] (his three-year extension with $41.5 million guaranteed kicks in this year), has Calvin Johnson to throw to, has thrown a ton of hideous interceptions, has made two one-and-done playoff trips and one Pro Bowl, and has authored one epic late-season collapse, in 2013.
    Other QBs on the list are Matt Ryan of the Falcons, Jay Cutler of the Bears, Sam Bradford of the Eagles and Ryan Fitzpatrick of the Jets.
    Former Lion Reggie Bush is also
  2. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

If you use their logic, shouldn't Matt Ryan be the most over rated QB?

I'm not saying Staffird ISN'T over rated, I do question if he should be considered the MOST though.
  3. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

If everyone thinks you're over-rated ... then how is it possible to be over-rated?

From my experience, most people think he's upper-ish middle of the pack, which is right about where he is.
    K-Dawg and Huntermsu like this.
  4. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Yeah I think anyone who is putting him anywhere above 10th best is in a tiny minority, he is pretty squarely in the 10-20 area which is what the vast majority would say he is, his contract is finally getting to a reasonable value in comparison to the rest of the NFL, he is what he is.
  5. TechLion Super Genius

It's funny how I knew Stafford was a joke his first year and was ripped on by all of you and now it is becoming main steam to rip on him. I've always said that I am at least five years ahead of everyone else. I also find it funny how Hunter has Stafford rated at possibly the 10th best QB in the NFL. You simpletons continue to look at bullshit numbers and do not look at the single most important quality a QB needs and that is consistent accuracy. Because of his contract Stafford is not only overrated but he is a complete bust because he is holding back the Lions instead of moving them forward. Another wasted half of a decade and it's not because of Mayhew! It's because of the idiots like Geezer, Felix and Hunter that will always support Stafford until the bitter end.
  6. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Staffords contract has been a problem in the past, but now considering the contracts being granted to players like Wilson, Newton, and Kaepernick, I would argue it is quickly approaching league average for his level of performance, are QB salaries unreasonable inflated?, very likely, but that's the reality in the NFL so unless you want to go out there with a backup quality QB because you want to control your QB salaries they are stuck paying the inflated rate.
  7. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I do think nationally Stafford still seems to stay cleaner in the media than he should, but I wouldn't say he's the most overrated QB. He uses money in his argument, than Cutler can't be ignored and before last season the Bears were a popular pick to be a contender. Cutler may take more heat nationally, but he's got a longer track record of inconsistent play, just got a huge deal, and just prior to last season his team was being talked about as a contender before going on to be one of the worst teams in the league.
  8. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Cutler gets more flack due to the simple fact that he's kind of a jerk. That's always been his thing. Stafford is infinitely more likeable and goes out of his way to kiss up to the media. Other than that, they are strikingly similar quarterbacks in most respects. In the right system, either one of these guys could be very successful -- but you need an offensive line that will allow them time for the play to develop because they're not really your quick-strike-y, ball-control-y west coast offense-ish style QBs. Nor are they particularly mobile.
  9. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Definitely agree Cutler's personality plays a big part in it. I've run my course Cutler, always liked him as a player because he had an elite skillset(much more athletic than you give him credit for, Stafford not bad either), but year after year system after system, you get the same thing. There's just so much "don't give a fuck" in his game. I'm plenty critical of Stafford for some of his issues, but I thought last season he at least showed some signs of being able to adjust his game. Stafford has had an INT% above 3 twice in his career, one being his rookie year. Cutler is a 3.4 for his career and been under 3 only twice. I'll give Stafford credit, at least he's shown some flexibility to his game, Cutler is what he is.
  10. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Stafford has strung together several games where he has played like an elite QB.

Cutler I can't remember the last time ... not since he played for Denver.

Both of these guys look pretty good when the run game is clicking. Without that element, not so much.
  11. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Did some research regarding QB salaries with this list http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Some interesting things I found'

Stafford is ranked #1 in the NFL getting paid 13,833,333 per year in guaranteed money (Aaron Rodgers is #2 at 10,800,000)
    His total guaranteed money ranks #4 in the NFL at 41,500,000
    78% of his contract is guaranteed money, highest by far among the starting QB's in the NFL (Manning is 44% by comparison) his total contract is worth 53 million which is #20 on the list.

So based on these numbers, I would say Lewand and Millew are complete idiots, and he is among the most over rated QB in the NFL being he is paid the most guaranteed money per season. Only person I would say is more over rated based on this data is Sam Bradford.
  12. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Well in so far as positions go guaranteed vs. not is the least important for QBs, by that I mean rarely is a QBs career ended early by injury (say before the age of 30), yes they are tied to him by the contract more so then other teams and their QBs but the out right release of a established NFL QB is rare so the chances are most QBs will collect all of their contract where as a RB or LB is much less likely.

Staffords contract has been a problem in the past but other teams seem to be lined up to offer merely above average NFL starting QBs $15+ mil a year, Cutler, Wilson, Newton, these are not names that belong near the likes of Brady, Rodgers, Luck, Manning, Brees, Roethlisberger, or even Rivers or Flacco.
  13. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Stafford's extension was to free up money, his rookie deal numbers were still huge so they signed him to an extension to spread some of that money out over 3 more years along with some new money, but it allowed them some freedom to make moves. Stafford had the leverage in the situation. Guaranteed per year has never made sense to me because it ignores the specific structuring of deals that often has multiple factors involved. Stafford can be released or traded after this season and the Lions would free up $11.5 million dollars. They likely won't because Stafford for all his faults is still a decent QB with flashes of great play, and that is hard to find. He's been paid like a top 10 QB and hasn't played like it, but it's the cost of NFL teams being QB desperate and latching on to a decent one when they get one. Stafford having leverage from his rookie deal and 2 other guys having their rookie deals putting pressure on, only made it harder.

I wouldn't be surprised if you heard more extension talk with Stafford after this year if he has a decent season.
  14. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

So have we decided yet whether Stafford is over-rated or just not a good value based on his salary?

Because it's really important that we get this squared away, guys.
  15. goldenlions International Playboy

wow, what a boring discussion. Offseason blues are setting in for sure.

Don't worry, training camp is but a mere 45 days away!
  16. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Wow....you guys are some real sour puss mother fuckers

Everyone wants to complain when Stafford cant hit a broad side of a barn during the season but I guess we are not allowed to have any dialogue in the off season when its a little slow around here?...

I personally found the subject once I looked at how his deal was structured very telling how Millhew and Lewand conduct business. No other half assed QB has that kind of guaranteed money in the NFL....but this I guess is a non-story. Thanks for your contributions Rusty and Golden, as always very insightful.
  17. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I agree with you on that. That just goes without saying.

What you seem to not understand, Vic, is just how important it is that we sort out whether Stafford is over-rated, or if he is simply over-paid. Because life itself hinges on us finding the proper definition, Vic.

You just don't get it.
  18. We have now officially identified a new statistic, QB $/Fan Approval Rating.
  19. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Yeah I think I do Rusty
    Nothing here worthy of your discussion I guess...yet you check the board almost daily....Hmmm
  20. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Whatevs.

:rolleyes:

Big pink rolley-eyed emoticon for you, Vic.
  21. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

To continue the only thing on here worth discussing post-draft....

1 - 25 top average salaries are as follows (in order, per http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/02/nfl-quarterback-salaries-2014-aaron-rodgers-jay-cutler-matt-schaub)

Aaron Rodgers
    Matt Ryan
    Joe Flacco
    Drew Brees
    Peyton Manning
    Colin Kaepernick
    Jay Cutler
    Tony Romo
    Matt Stafford
    Alex Smith
    Carson Palmer
    Eli Manning
    Andy Dalton
    Phillip Rivers
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Tom Brady
    Sam Bradford
    Matt Schaub
    Andrew Luck
    Cam Newton
    Kyle Orton
    RGIII
    Matt Cassel
    Blake Bortles
    Luke McCown

With that in mind, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, and Philli Rivers will have new contracts next year, pushing some of these guys down the list. I'm sure all 3 will be paid more then Stafford, dropping him to around the #12 mark. Is he the 12th best QB in the NFL? In no particular order (just naming guys I would take over Stafford) Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Wilson, Luck, Newton, Romo, P. Manning, E. Manning, and Flacco. But to be honest, I don't think it's a slam dunk taking Flacco or Eli over Stafford.

So at this point, I think he's paid right around where he should be paid.
  22. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I think I would maybe remove Wilson and Romo from your list but I would add Roethlisberger, overall I agree with the point that he is some where in that range of 12-20.
  23. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

When he FIRST signed the deal? No contest, he was overpaid. But as the rates have risen, it's put him back to where he should be.
  24. Vic Turner Just Sayin

I think you need to look more at the guaranteed money. Not all those QBS are going to get those contacts to pay out depending on how they perform. Stafford is guaranteed to be the #4 highest qb paid in the NFL.... that's ridiculous
  25. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Vic you are such a sour puss. Has Stafford's play translated to Lion wins. (Nope!) Is Stafford worth what he is paid? (Yup!) This kid has played with some really crappy Lion teams. Has had NO RUNNING GAME to balance the offense his entire tenure with the Lions and is still the youngest and first to 20,000 yards passing in the fewest games in NFL history. This mother fucker will only keep getting better and lite shit up this year, especially, if Pickweblew #2 can get his shit together and catch the fuckin ball. Ebron's 12 percent drop rate is not a good thing. In fact, Stafford's receivers have been constantly leading the NFL in drops since he has been the Lions QB. We all know Mayhew can't draft WR, RB, or TE that is worth a shit. Therefore I give Stafford the benefit of the doubt. Pay the Man.