Tabor on ESPN Sport Science

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, May 25, 2017.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

2. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Tabor is going to be a interesting player to watch, he will have a chip on his shoulder and he knows how to play his position, he has the chance to make a lot of people eat crow.
  3. lionsmack Right down the middle

He will have a rookie season like Slay, I'm convinced. Ups and downs, maybe will be in the rotation some games and out of it for others. He won't unseat Lawson this year if you ask me. But I'm optimistic about him down the road.
  4. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

As a rookie, he's the exact opposite of Slay. Slay was all raw athleticism and speed his rookie year. Tabor is all instincts, anticipation, and technique. The mental part of his game is already way ahead of where most rookies start out. I see him as the type who winds up being an early bloomer who peaks quickly and levels off by year 2.
  5. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I agree with this, Tabor is probably the most NFL ready player the Lions drafted I am sure he will get burned a few times but I think as learning curves go he should have one of the easier times adjusting.
  6. lionsmack Right down the middle

Perhaps, but cornerbacks typically don't take off right away. Even the NFL corners who were drafted high and are now stars, like Patrick Peterson, none of them stepped right in and played great as rookies. Even if you can find an example or two, the majority don't.

Especially since we have a passable if not great #2 corner in Lawson, I expect we won't see very much of Tabor this year, and maybe some in here will say he's a wasted pick, but in years 2 and 3 I think we'll be happy with him
  7. TheDane Active Member

I think a lot of people are going to act disappointed when Tabor doesn't start above Lawson when they shouldn't. It is one of the tougher positions to walk right in and play, and you are correct about Lawson. They did a good job of adding depth and there will be competition at a position that we struggled to fill last year and it cost us.
  8. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Passable if not great?

Jesus. I just looked up average in the dictionary and it has a pic of Nevin Lawson.

When your CBs consist of Slay, Mr. Average and then a pile of goose shit, it's time for an upgrade. Kudos to the front office for recognizing CB as a legit need and spending resources on upgrading. Lawson will be moved to slot where he belongs and Tabor should start fairly soon because he ain't got much in the way of competition.
  9. TheDane Active Member

10. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Lions got killed in the slot last year. Key to the secondary will be if Hayden, Diggs, or whoever else can give you improvement.
  11. lionsmack Right down the middle

Tabor is not going to start a game this year if Lawson is healthy and you will be calling him a bust, and I will be laughing at you
  12. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Tabor has been nursing a pretty significant hamstring injury, causing him to miss all of OTAs and might not even be ready for training camp. That will greatly hinder his chances to make an impact early in the season.
  13. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I don't think Lawson is the guy he needs to beat out year one. But go ahead and laugh. I don't care who does and doesn't step up to claim starting jobs, as long as we're not stuck counting on Barnes or Butler again if someone goes down. Should be an interesting competition to watch.
  14. lionsmack Right down the middle

I agree with that. I wasn't trying to be personal, but that does seem to be the pattern on this board sometimes - rookies get unrealistic expectations on them based on people thinking the guy ahead of them on the depth chart sucks, then as soon as the rookie doesn't immediately play way better, then they suck. I hope people can have a little perspective on Tabor.
  15. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Yea, it does kinda' get annoying. Example, Tight Ends always take time before they come around. Ebron's been showing steady development as a receiver and continues to be a matchup problem for defenses. But he sucks and bla bla bla whine sulk whine. Meanwhile, Ameer Abdullah shows himself to be nothing but an elite athlete with elite character who trains like an elite athlete, but he gets one completely non-career threatening injury and suddenly he's a China doll and we need 20 more elite backs on our team because he's not durable enough and let's all whine some more about how much our pussies hurt.

Fans are idiots, and they'll always be idiots. I just try to tune it out.

Tabor is the least of my worries though. I'm worried about Davis. He's just nothing but athletic ability, and coaches always seem to overestimate their ability to "coach up" players with poor instincts. And Davis' instincts are about as bad as I've seen for a linebacker. I'd feel way better if they could just move him to weakside and let him chase people down.