Time to move on....

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Vic Turner, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Vic Turner Just Sayin

I see everyday these articles on my Facebook page my friends share about Suh. He never was going to resign here, the Lions mismanaged him, the Lions mismanaged his contract, the Lions couldn't control him or manage his personality, he wanted to go play for a big market team ....wah wah wah fug gin wah. Maybe these things are true
    .....glad we didn't beat it to death.

I'm glad we have not posted every boohoo story written about his departure. Yeah it sucks ...it what it is time to move on.
  2. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I agree. Great as he was, it sounds like the guy was a nightmare to deal with. Maybe he just never wanted to be here from day one, who knows. If that was the case, I give him credit for playing his ass off for 5 years and never really complaining or missing practice.
  3. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

If he didny want to be in Detroit, he would have asked out. He wanted money, if Detroit would have offered him the most lucrative contract, he'd be in Detroit. He was about getting paid, people shouldn't hold that against him, this is his job and its a cut-throat business.
  4. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Not necessarily.
  5. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

6. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Its a business I just don't understand the emotional attachment people have for some of these players, Suh was under no obligation to play for the Lions after his contract was up, the Lions did piss away the tools the NFL gives teams to leverage elite talent to stay (franchise tag), and rumor has it the Lions upset Suh's camp with their reaction to the first stomp incident, personally I would have dealt with both situations differently than the Lions did but I know I am the minority, I wouldn't have restructured Suh's contract like they did and I wouldn't have forced Suh to do the post stomp presser mostly because I didn't think it was that big of a deal and I don't value player pressers.

Bottom line is its over and Suh went to the other conference, time to find a rookie DT with the potential to be a impact player and use the money that would have went to Suh to pay the likes of Ansah, Levy, and Warford so they don't lose them also.
  7. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

He didn't want to be here. FUCK HIM. We're better off without his loafing ass.
  8. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

An interesting overall read.

However, the one chart that got me as misleading was the one with the players over the last 4 years taking 10% or more of the cap. Because guys like Sidney Rice are tied to an average 3.3 extra wins, wen, in reality, he didn't do jack for the 'Hawks.

And then you have a guy like Eric Decker, the Jets needed a receiver and signed one, but had no real QB to get him the ball, and management and coaching staff at odds with each other (and some staff against each other also.) So is it Decker's fault the team dropped 4 more games that year? The connection isn't the greatest. It might need to be whittled down to what FA signed where for x amount of the cap, because he was considered 'the missing piece.' That works well when you look at Brandon Carr, Jermon Bushrod, and Asmougha.
  9. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Suh is going to be chewing up almost 20% of Miami's cap space just by himself. If that deal happened here in Detroit people would be calling for Mayhew's head. I wish they could have kept him too, but landing Ngata for much less allows the money to be spread out. You just cant tie up that kind of money on a DT no matter how good he is.
  10. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

He accounts for 17% in 2016, other than that it's never close to 20%.
  11. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

If he were on the Lions it would due to eventual multiple restructurings. non-ghey smilie
  12. eastcoast blue Active Member

Apparently 17% is not close to 20%?
  13. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Did he sign a 1 year deal? Because in no other year will he be close to taking up 20% of the cap.
  14. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Must be a slow at the office for Badnews

I mean 3% difference...I did say "Almost"

And you are correct, it isn't for the whole length of the contract but that wasn't my point. Point is if Mayhew did that he would be slaughtered around here.
  15. eastcoast blue Active Member

I think you're missing the point here... is the number 17 close to the number 20? I'm pretty sure vic said "almost" 20 %. Did the actual number need to be 19.99 % to count as close?
  16. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Well people seem to think that that 3%(about 4million) is a huge deal. How many times did we hear the with that extra 3-5 million we could have gotten this guy?

The bigger thing, what is the point of bringing up what % his cap hit takes up for 1 season of the contract? Miami obviously structured it that way for a reason, just like Houston structured it so that JJ Watt's contract would have a $22 million hit this year.

And Mayhew would have been slaughtered on here for signing Suh for anything but a home town discount.
  17. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

No, I got the point, it's just not a good one. Bringing up the cap hit for 1 year of a contract makes no sense, it would be like me saying Suh is a bargain because this year his cap hit only accounts for 4% of the cap.

And like I said in last post, it's over $4 million, people around here bitch about 1-2 million like it's a big deal.
  18. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

It's a very telling and rational take on the situation.

You're talking about a single player taking up 17% of the salary cap. On what planet does a non-quarterback account for 17% of the teams' production?

Like the article points out ... the very best-case scenario is that the player lives up to his contract value. So congratulations, you just paid $20 for a 20-dollar bill. The only time you win in free agency in a sport with a spending cap ... is when the output exceeds the cost of acquisition.
  19. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Sure you get the point? Or just busy splitting hairs?

Here's the point in case it got lost in all of this

20. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

That's not splitting hairs, that was my point from the beginning. That you shouldn't be using 1 year of the contract to judge the whole deal.

And like I said, anything short of a hometown discount and people would have killed Mayhew, majority of people didn't want Suh back at anything close to what he'd get on the market.
  21. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

My point for years has been that on average free agent are paid more then their production teams very rarely win in free agency, your players outperforming their contracts are mostly players on rookie deals, players strategically resigned, or players with off field problems who turn around their careers, in the case of a player like Suh I would much rather pay $20 for a 20 dollar-bill than buy a $20 scratch off ticket.

Now that we didn't retain him its time to try to use the cap space saved to strategically resign a guy trending to a higher level or not highly appreciated by the market yet, a Ziggy Ansah, Larry Warford, Deandre Levy, or perhaps Darius Slay if you have faith in them try to lock them up now at a lower price. Of course there is some risk to it but i would rather take the risk to save future cap space this way because the staff actually has got to work with and know the player in question as opposed to the limited access you get in free agency.
  22. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I thought badnews said "other than that" in regards to the contract never getting close to 20% other than in 2016.
  23. LionNation Detroit Lions Oracle

24. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Interesting structure of the Suh contract LN, if you look at it as the Dolphins engineering a window to make a push they give themselves a couple of years to develop hopefully gain some playoff experience and build around the DL and in 2017 they can gear up and make a run with Suh and Wake still near their primes.
  25. LionNation Detroit Lions Oracle

They will for sure restructure that deal next year. I agree with you about the 2017 is the year they must make a push. They have no playmakers on offense, gonna be a rough go for them I believe. Him and Wake should be something else for sure. How long is Wake under contract? Did he sign a new deal last year? I can't remember off hand.