Vikings

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by TheDane, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I don't know if I take any solace in that. I'm pretty sure you've even said yourself - in the NFL outside of the top 2 or so teams and the bottom few, most teams are pretty close and it usually only comes down to a few plays being the difference between winning and losing. I don't think the Vikings are as good as their record, but they are better team than the Lions, and a playoff team. If they play 10 games in a neutral site, the Vikings probably win 7 of them. Sure, the Lions played like dogshit, but that's what they do, that's who they are (despite the fact that they are in most games). That won't fly in the playoffs.
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Again the Lions played awful and were in it against the #2 in NFC. It’s not like they played well and 1 or 2 plays just didn’t go there way. They played terrible for 2/3 of that game and still were in it.

It may mean absolutely nothing, but the whole sky is falling this team is a disaster reaction after the loss is a bit much. After every loss or game there’s some aspect of “only the Lions do this”. It’s dumb. If you watch other NFL games you see the Lions are a playoff caliber team, they’re just unfortunately caught in a brutal conference this year where 11-5 could possibly not get them in playoffs.
  3. moridin Member

Ayuh, season ain't over yet, but by losing that game it makes making the playoffs that much harder for the Lions. If you look at the 6 playoff teams in the NFC, the Lions have lost head to head against 5 of them. So not only do they have to win out, they need to hope that some of those teams lose.

In the end, they may win out and still not end up in the playoffs.
  4. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

But it's not just the Vikings loss. I have been saying since the New Orleans loss that this is not a playoff team. And certainly after the Pittsburgh game. The bottom line is the combined record of the teams the Lions have beat are 24-42, and that's including the 9-2 Vikings that just beat them. It's just the same story every year...unable to beat the good teams. Meanwhile we watch teams like Philly and the Rams (who were much worse than the Lions last year) and their 2nd year quarterbacks and 2nd & 1st year head coaches (respectively) carry their teams (not to mention the Vikings doing it with essentially their 3rd string QB and without their starting RB) while Lions fans continue to make excuses for Stafford and the coaching staff (and no I'm not saying it's all on Stafford and the coaching staff).

Oh well, at least it's better than the Millen era when we were happy with a 6-10 season.
  5. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

The only other team the Vikings have beat with a record above .500 is the Rams.

The only teams the Rams have beat with a record above .500 is the Saints and Jaguars. I’d imagine the teams they beat have a pretty bad record too since they beat up on Giants, Colts, and 49ers.

Falcons have beat Lions and Seahawks.

Seahawks have 1 win over Rams.

As great as everyone thinks the Eagles are they’ve beat 1 team with a winning record.

Again, we pretend the Lions are unique and other playoff caliber teams are just beating up on winning teams. They’re not.
  6. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But I will say as someone living close to Philly with a lot of exposure to the Eagles, while they are probably not as good as their record, they are a lot better than the Lions. They might be beating sub .500 teams, but they are not only beating them, they are blowing them all away.
  7. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I think Philly is good, but not as good as their record. I’ll be interested to see how they do the next couple weeks.

They’ve had a super soft schedule so far though.
  8. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

The Atlanta game had a devastating affect on this team. They were playing much better before that game and came back. The refs really costs us at least that game, which would have been huge in terms of standings for the playoffs, and the mindset of the team.
  9. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see what impact this Vikings game has on the team. One of the announcers mentioned from talking to the players that the general feeling prior to the game that it was a must-win. If that is true now that they lost it could be devastating on their psyche's.
  10. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

After the Falcons game they went out and beat Vikings in Minnesota. It’s sucks because it causes them to lose the tiebreaker, but they bounced back with a huge win last time.

Last week was a huge game and at this point every game should be treated as must win, but this weeks game is massive. Flawed but still tough Baltimore team on the road and the teams they are competing against are all playing each other.
  11. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Baltimore's offensive line is horrible. Hopefully they can capitalize on that.
  12. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Lions DL isn't very good either.
  13. goldenlions International Playboy

After watching the Monday night game and seeing the Ravens Dline block what felt like 5 or 6 passes, I have this weird feeling we will see a repeat of the Saints game. Stafford is injured and will make a ton of bad decisions.