Where we are now...

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by littlekaps, Nov 23, 2017.

1. littlekaps Member

Welp, that wasn't a lot of fun on Thanksgiving. Just some thoughts on where we are right now...

1) Running game - Abdullah the last few weeks has been horrible, averaging 2 and 2.3 yards per carry. This year, he is averaging 3.4 yards per carry. He also had fumbles each of the last two weeks that have cost the Lions. Riddick with much less carries has averaged 4.0 yards per carry. Abdullah is not the answer and our offensive line is not the reason. Sorry, Abdullah was not a good pick and does not do much after contact. Our line is built for one cut runners and he is an edge guy. While our line is not dominant, it is far from bad but we need a good running back next year to take some heat off of....

2) Stafford did not have a great day but he is having to throw passes vs. 6, 7 or 8 defenders continuously. The reason is solely on the fact we do not have a running game at all. Stafford has weapons - Tate and Jones are doing what they can to make plays. Ebron is meh but the lack of a running back makes it even harder on receivers to find space. Stafford was definitely off today and did not put the team on his back. Then, after he got rolled up on, he was less than effective trying to throw the ball.

3) The rest of our schedule is at Baltimore (5-5) which should be a win, at Tampa Bay (4-6) which should be a win vs. a team with a backup QB, vs. Chicago which should be a win at home, at Cincinnati (4-6) which should be a win and wrapping up at home vs. Green Bay. That puts the team at 11-5. Now let's look at Atlanta, New Orleans, Seattle and Carolina who we are up against for Wild Cards-

New Orleans - at Rams, home vs. CAR, at ATL, vs. NYJ, vs. ATL, at TB - New Orleans finishes 12-4 (L,W,L,W,W,W)
    Atlanta - vs. TB, vs. MIN, vs. NO, at TB, at NO, vs. CAR - Atlanta finishes at 10-6. (W,L,W,W,L,W)
    Carolina - at NYJ, at NO, vs. MIN, vs. GB, vs. TB, at ATL - Carolina finishes 10-6 (W,L,L,W,W,L)
    Seattle - at SF, vs. PHI, at JAX, vs. LAR, at DAL, vs. ARI - Seattle finishes 8-8 (W,L,L,L,L,W)

In this scenario, the Lions would be 11-5 and make the playoffs as the first wildcard. If the Lions lose 1 of the games, it would cause a 3 way tie and Atlanta would be the 5th wild card and the Lions would be the 6th wild card and would open in New Orleans on wild card weekend.

If I was a betting man, I would say that we lose 2 of the next 5 games, finish 9-7 and out of the playoffs with the 18th pick in the draft.
  2. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

You mean the guy that led the league in yards after contact heading into this game? That said, Abdullah certainly isn't getting it done. I still say it is 75% on the line. Not sure what happened on that fumble butt it almost looked like Abdullah didn't even know he was getting the ball.

I'll be surprised if this team wins 3 of the last 5. Most likely looking at 8-8.
  3. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

The OL is still an issue. I’m with Barry, they need a better compliment to Abdullah(not just a power back), but he gets so little help from the OL.

Decker is not playing at the level he was last season and the line still struggles to consistently create in running game.

Stafford has been very good for most part this season, but him missing wide open WR’s has nothing to do with the running game. He had a sub par game today. There doesn’t have to be an asterisk whenever we say Stafford had a bad game.

NFC is jammed pretty tight right now. Lions still have the easiest road while some of these teams will be beating up on each other. We’ll see. Need to stop digging themselves into a hole to start games.
  4. goldenlions International Playboy

I like that the Lions get 10 days for Baltimore, who plays Monday night. Tampa Bay could be harder than people think. I think the other teams will be done-zo for the year and just thinking about draft status.

If the Lions get through these two road game, nothing to say they can't win out. It will be very interesting if the Vikings can't manage to pull out their next two roadies.
  5. littlekaps Member

The guy that lead the league in yards after contact? Don't know where that stat is...searched the internet and couldn't find it. This would be under the the 3 biggest lies are stats, stats and stats. The eye test says that he isn't the one cut runner this Oline needs to get 4-5 yards a carry. Has the line been great? Nope, they haven't. However, Abdullah averaging 3.5 yards a carry and fumbling isn't helping at all. Lions lost by 7. His turnover cost us 7.

We should also start looking a bit closer at Quinn. He felt he was fine at running back with what he had. When Hunt or Kumara were available, he didn't make any move and took Tabor who over pursued on a blitz where he had Keenum dead to rights. (Nitpicking one play but his playing time has been non-existent)

You could be right at going 8-8. The argument could be that they lose 3 on the road and Rodgers comes back on week 17 to finish 7-9.
  6. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Abdullah has spent half the season dodging guys in the backfield. That stat was from PFF and I completely buy it. The whole one-cut thing is nonsense. A one cut runner isn’t going to be able to break off any better gains if OL can’t create in outside zone or any power situations.

I actually saw Ovlorsky talking about it on Twitter last night and he put it on the OL.

And I think Quinn does get a bit of a free pass on some things, but too early to be saying Tabor over X is huge mistake. If Tabor ends up being a good CB, no one will care.
  7. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

The offensive line just confounds me, it's not like there isn't talent there they added a RT that was one of the best in the league and Lang while his strong suit is pass blocking his run blocking is at least average, there isn't much I can put on a RB when he is getting hit 3 yards deep in the backfield.

But lets be frank, this teams biggest fault is the DL the only real talent they have is Ansah who has been hurt and Robinson who is underachieving, it's very possible this team with a good QB, WRs, secondary and an easy schedule the rest of the way makes it into the playoffs but without a DL they won't do much.
  8. littlekaps Member

He does spend some time dodging guys in the backfield, I won't deny that. His fumbles the last two weeks have hurt as it cost us 7 (they may have scored 7 anyway). I just don't think, in year 3, he is going to be the answer at RB.
  9. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Not sure how much of yesterday's fumble was on Abdullah. And even if it was Abdullah's fault, there is plenty of "if this guy did or didn't do X it cost us 7" blame to go around.
  10. Felix True Fan

2 Fells TDs dropped, D giving up a TD on 4 runs plays to start the second half, No pass rush, Tabor missing the sack, Stafford misfiring all over the place, etc...SO many fucking mistakes, not sure how they werent blown out
  11. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

He didn’t fumble against the Bears.
  12. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

I am going to guess we lose 1, maybe 2 games.
  13. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

As far as fixing things, the Lions have to do whatever it takes to get a legit RB. The offense is one dimensional. Barkley is better than Elliott, and far better than Abdullah. Trade up and that problem is fixed. Or perhaps Carlos Hyde is the answer, or Le'Veon Bell.
  14. Fireball Member

Nick Chubbs could be good seems to read blocks in these highlights
  15. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Bell would probably be worse than Abdullah behind this line with his style of running.
  16. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Where are they now?

Where we thought they would be

A .500ish team that lacks depth and still some pieces to compete

Here's looking forward to another draft....lol
  17. goldenlions International Playboy

Not giving up on this team unless they lose the next two. 10-6 could still get into playoffs. I know the mindset of most is that would be pointless because they would just get blown out one and done. But considering they are 4-1 on the road this season, I kind of prefer it at this point since they can’t win at home.
  18. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Defense pretty straight forward

Need a better front 7, DL is in shambles.

On offense that's the head scratcher. The offense is productive when Stafford starts to Chuck it. Not many defenses can stop them. They desperately need s productive TE.

All the focus on the run game...there is an issue with the scheme. Draft a stud rb and go zone blocking. May be it will be good if c ooter leaves
  19. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

They run a ton of zone. Not sure you can blame scheme for running issues. How much variation can there be in the scheme for inside/outside zone, counters, traps, etc.

Line just doesn’t block well consistently. Combine that with lately consistently falling behind early and playing catch up and you lack a running game.
  20. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

21. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

We can only lose one more game. that's it. Maybe TB idk, but a win out would be rough because the refs and the NFL will do all they can to keep The D town down.
  22. Felix True Fan

Ill say this...I tend to agree with RBs arent the issue side of the argument, however I then think about all the linemen, alllll the coaches.....allllllllll the RBs...not one of them a marquee name, sans MAYBE Reggie Bush, and he did more here than anywhere else in his career mostly, none of them went elsewhere to great things...soooo, perhaps it is the RB?
  23. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I agree to an extent, but outside of adding an elite back like say Zeke or Bell I don’t think you’re seeing much difference, if any.

And it’s not like there has been a whole lot of success with Lions OL elsewhere either. Warford and Reiff have been good elsewhere, but I think Lang and Wagner replacing them was more of a lateral move then some wanted to admit.

There’s not one group completely at fault, but the OL has been the biggest issue. Mainly interior and left side. Swanson has been bad after having a good year last season. Glasgow seems to be bouncing back, but has been up and down. And it’s gone overlooked, but Decker has not really upgraded the LT spot since he’s been back.
  24. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Root hard for Bucs today. Falcons have tough run after this, would help Lions out big time.
  25. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

Last year the running game was bad and we were pretty good with passing because Stafford had a go to receiver in Boldin that wecjust don't have from anyone this year.
    Jones has done better and should be with his contract. Tate has regressed, as much as they want to laud tj Jones he doesn't get targeted enough to make a difference. We miss holding huge. Ebron is garbage.
    As far as running game, Abdullah is horrible, period. Ruddick won't be able to handle an increased workload at RB. He will break like he did last year. Everyone else is fodder. We will lose to Baltimore and Chicago and I can see Rodgers coming back just to show next year will be fine for the Packers and they beat us end of season.

Biggest issue is defense. When we lost Ngata we were done.

We will be lu key to finish 8-8