Where we are now...

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by littlekaps, Nov 23, 2017.

1. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

littlekaps that's really a good breakdown there. An elite RB is essential right now. A first rounder or even trade up.
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

The Lions passing offense is better this year than last year statistically. The offense as a whole is scoring more than last year.
  3. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

Going forward: Lions need to win, plain and simple. Not a guarantee they make the playoffs..BUT....

Best Scenerio:
    Detroit, Minnesota, and New Orleans win out.
    Lions are in playoffs. Seeding will depend on Atlanta and Carolina as both play New OrLeans and each other yet.
  4. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Does anyone have any recommended methods for increasing the number of fucks I give about the rest of the season's outcome? I've been noticing that it, along with my testosterone level and quality of near-field vision, has been gradually decreasing with age.
  5. goldenlions International Playboy

Lions win 5 in a row to close out season?
  6. goldenlions International Playboy

I am giving Quinn one more year before I start to doubt his skills as GM. Not drafting a RB last year was very puzzling.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Why would you want to draft a RB, just to demoralize him and dash all of his NFL hopes?
  8. goldenlions International Playboy

Who Quinn’s?

Edit: I am guessing you meant the potential draftee, I am of the belief they should grab one every year.
  9. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Trading up for Barkley will be costly. But if we want an elite RB sometimes you have to pay the price.
  10. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Why would you draft an elite RB just to demoralize him and dash all hopes of an elite NFL career?
  11. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

Drafting a RB is fine, but you still need to figure out the OL. Maybe sliding Glasgow inside and drafting a LG could improve the OL, or maybe Swanson is fine, but you still need a bump up over Glasgow. Either way, the center and LG are probably the weakest positions up front, IMO.

I'm not overly impressed with any of the RBs on the roster. Riddick fills a nice niche role, but you still need guys who can actually run the ball. If the OL is better, then you don't need to draft a high end RB, you just need to find one that fits your scheme, with good vision, and decent hands. Sonny Michel, LJ Scott, Bo Scarborough, and Rashaad Penny are all guys who could be available on the 2nd and 3rd days who could probably improve the RB corps. But it wouldn't matter if the Lions don't improve upfront.

If the Lions don't wanna use a FB full time, that's fine. They should consider then working with an H back, someone who can line up as a TE, but also be in the backfield as a FB.
  12. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

If your OL can’t run block a FB is useless.
  13. goldenlions International Playboy

There have been talk that the Oline creates holes but the RBs don’t see them. Take it for what that’s worth.
  14. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Talk from where? Internet chat rooms?
  15. goldenlions International Playboy

One of the radio stations, can’t remember if it was Detroit or Sirius XM. Like I said take it for what it’s worth.
  16. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s not what happens most of the time.
  17. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

IMO, the majority of the blame is on the OL, still needs to be tweaked. But I don't have much faith in the current stable of backs.
  18. Murtyle American Destroyer

I mean it's kind of obvious we need DLineman. Once Ngata went out, our running game went to shit. We have an anemic pass rush. I'd say those are our two most pressing needs. Then LB and RB.
  19. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I would argue DL was already our biggest need going in to the offseason. And it wasn't addressed. Losing Ngata didn't help things. We're kind of desperate there now.

Although one might also argue ... not having a 2nd string Left Tackle on the active roster was a blunder of colossal proportions. It was borderline irresponsible. As much as I like Quinn, that really knocked him down at least a few pegs in my eyes. Now we have to live with whatever consequences result from having to rush Decker back, and hope for the best.

While simultaneously dealing with the fact that we don't have an actual backup guard at the moment either. Or at least not one who has that as his natural position, ready to suit up and play if called on.
  20. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

How many teams have a legitimate backup LT? Look at what happened to Dallas when Smith missed a couple games. His replacement was worse than Robinson was for us.
  21. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

There are teams that don’t have 1 serviceable LT, never mind 2.
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I get that. But ... we don't have a running game. So if we don't protect the QB, we don't have a passing game either. So in other words we got nothin. If we had even a semblance of a threat of a running game, it would have taken at least some of the pressure off our "straight-from-the-gong-show-auditions" Left Tackle carousel.

And not having a running game with all the dollars invested in the offensive line during the offseason?

Do we give a free pass to Quinn on that? On one hand, he did address it. But on the other hand he didn't really fix it. And he's had two offseasons. Still, having both Warford and Reiff's contracts expire at once, with CJ still on the books (whether he's here or not)? Probably not the best contract structuring on Mayhew's part. In fact that's kind of a clusterfuck. Good 'ol Marty was always in the "worry about it next year" mode.

I'll put this one 50% on MM and 50% on BQ.
  23. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Warford and Reiff were both on rookie contracts. Those deals are set in place by the CBA I believe. Don’t think you can do anything about structure.
  24. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Could he have offered one of them an extension before either of their rookie contracts were up?
  25. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

With hindsight being 20/20 it is looking like that might not have been a bad idea. But I'll be the first to admit I thought Lang and Wagner would be decent upgrades over them. It's looking like that might not be the case. But Reiff is still mediocre.