Who do you take at pick 20?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by tepod2001, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Murtyle American Destroyer

He's raw alright.

2. TheDane Well-Known Member

The next JJ is a helluva stretch. That clip is a career highlight tape and is nothing special, unless a "horse collar" tackle qualifies because that was special. Unless we go to a 3-4 I'm not sure he would be a fit anyway.

I would take Phillips between the two...

3. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

Best thing to do is bring back Ngata regardless of who wecdrsft. He's played in 3-4 defense and is solid against the run. Still daft his replacement and let him learn.
  4. Murtyle American Destroyer

I'm not really comfortable comparing any college kid to hall of famers personally.

Go check out any game this year. Any game. He dominated up front. This with complete ineptitude in the coaching staff and very little in terms of support from his teammates.

He's raw. I think he played 8 man ball out in Wyoming or some place. He was only a 3 star recruit. He will get washed out of his gap sometimes because he's raw. That's fixable.

Watch after the combine. People are going to put him in the top 20
  5. Vic Turner Just Sayin

After Suh and Fairly I cant justify paying #20 overall money to another DT. A DE that can get after the QB....sure. A DT,,,not again.. Ashawn Robinson is where you take your DT's like 2nd round.

#20 I think you go DE, RB, CB, OT, pass rushing OLB, MLB. In that order of BPA and need for this team.
  6. Felix True Fan

Interesting...how has the D done without that great DT? I recall a borderline top D all time against the run vs one of the worst run Ds Ive ever seen... I remember saying how DT was so overlooked and then Suh came along and the D was great...then when the DTs are gone they suck, but sure...DE...
  7. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

So much wrong with this.
  8. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Also ignores how important an interior pass rush is in today’s NFL with how much teams are using spread and getting the ball out quickly. Value of DT’s has gone up, not down.
  9. Felix True Fan

Agreed, i was too tired to make a long post
  10. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Or that the contract for pick 20 is 4 and $11 million.
  11. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Personally I never liked the Mayhew/Schwartz theory, building a great pass rush improves pass coverage. Good OCs and QBs just get rid of the ball quicker than the high drafted DL can get there. I believe the only way to truly improve pass coverage is to draft CBs that actually have capability to man up on receivers.

Therefore, the importance of a DT depends on how Matt Patricia handles the defense. Matt Patricia is the King of the, bend but don't break defense, especially this year. If we go his way, this team will become more scheme diverse switching from 4 down lineman to 3 down lineman, within a game, and from game to game. If you look at the Patriot's roster their DL is not a team of Drafted All Stars. The majority of the DL is taken after the 6th round and UDFA.

When looking from this perspective, bend but don't break, the DT position occupies blocks. You don't need high draft picks to do that.

P.S. I would put the DT about 7th or 8th on the list of most important positions. Drafting a DT in the 1st round is like drafting a TE in the 1st round, not good value.
  12. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Agreed
  13. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

The Pats drafted DT’s back to back seasons in the 1st round in ‘14 and ‘15. The idea that they aren’t valued highly in their D is false.
  14. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Fun fact during Belichick's tenure with New England they have selected more DTs than any other position in the first round (5 DTs, 2 LB, 2 TE, 1 OG, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 OT, 1 DE, 1 RB).
  15. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

You see there you go. You read into what I said and put words into my mouth in your effort to contradict.
  16. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

“When looking from this perspective, bend but don't break, the DT position occupies blocks. You don't need high draft picks to do that.”
  17. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

exactly
  18. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

How dare you put words in someone's mouth...
  19. Murtyle American Destroyer

You need both. In terms of our personnel, we're much better in the secondary than we are in getting pass rush

Frankly I'm surprised to hear you guys saying not to invest in the trenches. This place used to need it's own separate section to discuss why line play is all that matters.
  20. Felix True Fan

???
  21. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I am not saying not to draft DTs in the 1st round. I said they had a better value in the 2nd and later rounds. Look, there are maybe 5 or 6 DTs in this league that stand above all the rest and can actually sack the QB on a consistent basis. Donald, Cox, Suh, McCoy, Atkins, and Linval Joseph. The other 125 DTs in the league are block occupiers that scrape together 2 to 4 sacks/year.
  22. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Lets remember what the Lions greatest needs are! They need a running game and they need a pass rush. That means a RB and Edge Rushers. Since 4/3 DEs are basically non-existent (maybe 2 with 1st round value) in this draft, the pass rush will have to come from elsewhere. If my speculation serves me properly, the Lions (especially with Patricia coming aboard) will probably use at least 2 draft picks on edge rushing and pass coverage LBs.
  23. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

So I didn’t put words in your mouth...

You implied Patriots don’t value DT’s in their system, but their history shows otherwise.
  24. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

There’s more than that and they do their job, not just getting sacks but creating pressure, forcing the ball out quickly or flushing QB outside to the DE’s can clean up and get sacks. Ziggy was a huge benefactor of that when Lion had Suh, Fairlet and company.
  25. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I sa
    I did not imply that at all. I said that if the Lions employ a bend but don't break defense they don't need high draft picks to do that.