Who do you take at pick 20?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by tepod2001, Jan 24, 2018.

1. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Well misunderstood. But if Pats employed that(which I think was partly due to personnel), they invested highly in DT’s, so that kind of goes against that theory.
  2. lionsmack Right down the middle

Reasoning like that is why we don't have Aaron Donald

Suh and Fairley haven't been on the team for years, dude. I guess we shouldn't draft any LBs either because of Boss Bailey and Teddy Lehman

Bryan has that same kind of potential as Donald. Not saying he'll be a DPOY kind of player, but a DT who can get consistent pass rush is a rarity.
  3. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Everyone knows that. We are talking Suh (a HOF DT) and Fairley (when motivated during contract years) as high talent that deserves to be drafted in the 1st round. But how many DTs in this draft can do what you are describing above. Payne (I don't think so). Vea maybe has the potential to be as good as Gnata, but Gnata only has 31.5 sacks over his 12 year career. Gnata is a run clogger that can occupy double teams and hold his ground. That alone is worth a 1st round grade. His 5 pro bowls warrant that draft status also.

However, we need consistent pass rushers or edge rushers and a running game. DT is always better value later in the draft for most DTs selected. We also have to consider how much 3-man DLs we may play next year, because there is not doubt we will be doing that. There is one DT that I like that can play both 4/3 or 3/4 and he will probably be there in the 3rd round. Andrew Brown, Virginia, he can play a 5-tech or a 3-tech and totally improve our interior pass rush. After everyone watches the combine, get measurements and drills, we can go back to film and rate some more of these guys. I believe there are guys in the later rounds that can help us big time on the DL.
  4. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

We don't have Aaron Donald because Mayhew is an idiot, who had no idea WTF he was doing. Vics reasoning though is sound percentage wise.
  5. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I think there are a few DT’s that could be very good interior rushers in this draft. Should they pull trigger at 20? Have to see what board looks like.

That said, this is more about value of DT overall and saying DT’s shouldn’t be take in 1st round as opposed to what’s available this year.
  6. Roaring20 Member

If they go RB at #20 I'd be stunned. That said I really like Derrius Guice (LSU)
  7. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Guice is awesome. I’m not even:sure he makes it to 20.
  8. Roaring20 Member

9. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Absolutely. Harrison Phillips, or Tavon Bryan, maybe there in the second round, pick 51. These guys have pass rush skills. and can probably play a 5-tech if needed. They would provide good value in the 2nd round like Robinson did in 2016. Andrew Brown in the 3rd provides excellent value.

This year the value in the 1st round IMO is QB (most likely 4 probably 5), OL, (3 to 4 OT, 2 OG and 2 C) and RB (3 maybe 4). On Defense, 4 to 5 CBs and 2 or 3 safeties. I believe, from what I know now, 4 maybe 5 DL deserve 1st round grades. I have to say this is not a great DL draft. Not a whole lot of high end talent. I think that is one of the reason so many Juniors declared. IMO Vea, Payne, Chubb, and Davenport are probably the best value in the 1st round. Several others may be drafted in the 1st round, but the value isn't there.
  10. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Harold Landry if you’re looking for a weapon that can rush passer off edge.

I think you may see a couple guys get more 1st round buzz when league starts talking more at the combine. Rasheem Green from USC could get a lot of buzz, can move him around on line, similar to Michael Bennet.
  11. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

You really need to take a good look at this group of RBs. They are outstanding. 4 of them are Juniors, so next years RB class will only have 1 RB worth a 1st round grade, Bryce Love. Most drafts have only one or two guys worthy of 1st round grade with all the tools (vision, size, speed, quickness and good hands). But this draft, has 6 guys that have to potential to lead the league in rushing. All of them are 3 down backs and you only get this type of RB in the 1st round or early second. None of them will be there for Detroit's pick 51. For Detroit, snooze in the 1st, you lose.

P.S. I would equate these guys (Barkley, Guice, Penny, Michel, Johnson, and Jones) to Elliot or Gurley.
  12. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Landry is an excellent pass rusher in college, but had several bad games last year against the run. He could be marked down due to that bad tape. Length and speed is important for this guy big time.
    Rasheem Green is interesting, depends on his length, kind of a tweener. I pretty sure he played both DT and DE for USC. We will see. It will make for good conversation and argument as the draft comes closer.
  13. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I think Landry will have some growing pains, but I think you could have a top flight pass rusher in a year or 2.
  14. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Hiring of Pasqualoni should give them a good eval on Landry.
  15. Murtyle American Destroyer

How is that different than any other position in the league? There's a handful of stars, a few more solid guys, a handful more mediocre players, and then filler. At every position.

Anyway, all I said is that he should be in the discussion. Who we pick depends on who falls and what kind of trade offers we get.
  16. TheDane Well-Known Member

Yep, it isn't any different. I was hoping that some team would try and trade up with us to grab a QB, but with a strong class of FA QB's available,(including all 3 Viking QB's), I doubt that happens. The question is, is if Guice is available at #20 and we get a legit trade offer, do we take it?
  17. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

absolutely
  18. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Some positions are a lot more important and more heavily involved in winning football games. If you don't know that, I could point you to several good articles on the subject. However, outstanding players at any position are worthy of 1st round grade. Take this years Offensive Guard Quentin Nelson for example. He will easily be drafted in the top 15, where a normal draft position for the first OG is early 2nd round under normal value.

Tavon Bryan is 2nd round at the earliest. Good ball player though. Bad value in the first round.
  19. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Or a biased one.
  20. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Isaiah Wynn seems to be all the rage from Senior Bowl practices.

McShay has him going to Lions in his mock. With Vea and Hurst already off the board.

He could be a good fit, though I'm still a little gun shy since none of our first-round offensive linemen have been worth shit, save Decker. I tend to like rounds 2 and 3 for guards. But if the value isn't there for D-tackle in round 1, then I don't see much sense in reaching.
  21. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Unlikely.
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

You don't think coaches feel invested in players they helped develop? These guys have direct stake in how high their payers are drafted and how well they do in the pros. It's a feather in their caps.
  23. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

To an extent, but they’re not stupid. If he’s banging the table to for Landry and he flops knowing that he doesn’t think he can transition to NFL or has poor work ethic that reflects on him as well.

Pasqualoni is also gonna be 69 years old, I don’t think he has major aspirations in the NFL.
  24. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Yea, but you know how these old guys get. Do you remember how every single guy Gunther Cunningham used to coach was going to be the next hall-of-famer?

Anyone else get the feeling this guy is Gunther Cunningham Part II?
  25. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I’m hoping it’s some type of senior consultant job.