Why do people think Abdullah needed to be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, May 3, 2017.

1. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

To preface this question, I am referring specifically to those who feel that we should have drafted a running back in rounds 1 through 4. If you aren't part of this camp, then the question doesn't apply.

My rationale being that if you're going to be drafting a running back high, and in front of other needs (like Linebacker, Tight End, Receiver), then I'm assuming you're looking for someone who can start and be the "featured guy." And considering we already have a featured back that we spent considerable draft stock on a few years ago (a second round pick), I can only assume that you feel he needed to be upgraded.

So to those in that camp, I have a few questions:

1) Is it a talent issue? i.e. Do you feel that Abdullah hasn't shown the necessary skills to get the job done?

2) Is it a durability issue? i.e. You don't feel that his body can hold up to the strain of a featured back role?

3) Some other reason?

Please be very descriptive in your reply. In other words, if it is a talent issue, please point specifically to observable traits. Measurables, combine numbers, past performance, statistics, specific examples of game film. If it is a durability issue, then please point specifically to his injury history, dating back to college, where he has shown a penchant for getting injured significantly. Point to specific injuries, when they occurred, and why those injuries concern you. If it is a matter of his physical features, please show evidence that supports the hypothesis that an unusually high occurence of injury happens to backs of that stature, or a shorter average career span, etc. etc.

If you do not support your assertion with some type of objective and reasoned support, you will be systematically torn apart ... berated ... laughed at ... think of the movie "Carrie." They're all going to laugh at you.

Thanks in advance for the input.
  2. CapnCrunch who gives a crap?

And cue the cupcakes in 3....2....1....
  3. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

For goodness sakes Rusty why don't you just fill in the answers since you provided your own narrative of how it should be answered.

All that needs to be said is for the 2 years he has been a Lion. The Lions ranked 30th for rushing offense in 2016 and 32 for rushing offense in 2015. If he does not need help why weren't we better?
  4. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Is the question whether we need an upgrade over Abdullah or just the running game in general?
  5. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Because he is a china doll

But I wholeheartedly agree with upgrading OL and D first and foremost

In that regard I am very happy, it will pay dividends for the future!
  6. goldenlions International Playboy

One injury and he is a China doll?

I think it was because he sat out most of the year last year and they saw how the running game was piss poor without him and just wrote him off and want someone else.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

You just answered my question with a question. I think we all know our rushing numbers were bad, and you don't have to lend any support for that. But can you lend support specifically related to Ameer Abdullah? In what ways does he fall short as a lead running back?
  8. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Can you support that statement? Looking over his college career and the pros, has he shown an unusually high propensity for injury compared to other running backs? If so, which specific pattern of injuries suggest a fragile player to you? Have any of his injuries been the type that would pose serious problems for the future or put him at a significant risk of re-injury?

What is the thought process that leads you to this conclusion? I'm curious.
  9. TheDane Well-Known Member

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahahahahahaaha....................
  10. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

He needs to get healthy and stay that way. He needs a complimentary power RB to limit his touches. He needs better long speed.
  11. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Rusty, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret...NFL fans are stupid. And LRZ is certainly no exception. Remember Fred Taylor? He was injured a few times early in his career but went on to have a pretty healthy, solid career. But despite that his entire career he was known as "Fragile Fred".

It is reasonable to be concerned about Abdullah somewhat, but with NFL fans all it takes is a few bumps and bruises early in a career for them to consider a player "injury prone". I think it's a frustration/defense mechanism thing. But more so, fans are just stupid.
  12. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

And what fans are you referring to BB? Dane and The Geezer maybe? Thanks for the insult. You don't understand do you? I don't want to replace Abdullah. He is an NFL caliber RB. The message is we need another NFL caliber RB to compliment Abdullah. If you think that is stupid, then it is you, that is not very smart.
  13. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Actually wasn't referring to you in this case. Wasn't referring to anyone in particular.
  14. TheDane Well-Known Member

So does AA need a complimentary back or not? Even a stupid NFL fan should be able to answer this one...LOL.
  15. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

I've always said while AA could be a feature back if needed, the ideal situation would be to have a more bruiser north/south guy to compliment him. I think Zenner could be that guy with the upgraded O-line, but I'm all for exploring options to upgrade any position at any time. I honestly don't think a 30 year old Blount is much of an upgrade, if at all, over Zenner. Sure, maybe a 26 year old Blount would be.

But you bring up a valid point. Perhaps Rusty should have asked the question, "Does AA need a complimentary back?"
  16. TheDane Well-Known Member

This was ALWAYS the question. I have maintained from Day 1 that AA is the only NFL RB on our roster. Riddick is a WR playing RB but asking him to be the complimentary back and you get what you got last year, TWO injured RB's. I wanted Blount and I'm still pissed that we didn't use the "Mr. Irrelevant" pick on him. But, he has lost the breakaway part of his game and isn't what we are looking for. If they sign him it will simply reinforce how little they know about the running game.
  17. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Matt Asiata is going to be part of Lions rookie camp.
  18. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Okay, this is good. We're getting places. For the most part, some of us are perfectly okay with Ameer Abdullah, and don't feel he needed to be upgraded. The issue some of us have appears to be that the depth is lacking. So I am assuming this means Riddick and Zenner are not up to the task.

Which begs the question ... How are Riddick and Zenner not up to the task? What portion of their games is lacking, and most importantly What is your criteria for an "NFL Caliber Back?" What objective benchmarks would an NFL back have to meet in order to be considered "NFL caliber?"
  19. goldenlions International Playboy

I didn't know that they signed him, sucks, he blows.
  20. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I'm trying to avoid the whole "stupid" argument because it's counter-productive. I do, however, understand that a lot of people are ignorant of blocking schemes. I believe that when they watch the games on television, it is difficult for them to see the blocking schemes unfold. The ball is snapped, and they see a confusing sea of bodies at the line, and it's just a lot for the brain to try and process.

I also believe that people have what I would call "shiny object syndrome." Watching the ball carrier can be electrifying. Like watching the sleek, purebread show dog doing tricks. And I wonder how much of this is people just needing that fix, and just enjoying football for the entertainment factor. Making a defender miss might have the same effect as a guard executing the perfect trap block. But the block just isn't as pretty, and the schemes are difficult to follow. It's just a big, slow, ugly dude pushing another big, slow, ugly dude out of the way. No blinking lights.
  21. Vic Turner Just Sayin

2016 NFL Foot
    Abdullah left action in Week 2 with foot injury, later diagnosed a sprain.

2015 NFL Shoulder
    Abdullah tore his labrum in Week 15 last year, had offseason surgery in January

Associated Press
    Detroit Lions running back Ameer Abdullah suffered a foot injury in Week 2 against the Tennessee Titans and was placed on injured reserve on Sept. 21. He underwent surgery, and it is uncertain when he will return

Two seasons in the NFL, two surgeries. I call that concerning......
  22. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

NFL players have surgeries like they change socks. In reality, he's had 1 injury that's caused him to miss regular season time. And it's the first time he's ever missed time in his life.

So some concern, sure. China doll, stupid.
  23. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Don't think he's signed technically. More like a tryout.
  24. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

He's Muslim, he should be deported. LOL
  25. goldenlions International Playboy

Is that a common practice to have tryouts for vets during a rookie minicamp? Never heard of that....either way I stand by my previous statement....