Why do people think Abdullah needed to be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, May 3, 2017.

1. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

I think when he plays he's decent. I can't remember how good he is though.
  2. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

I don't think so. If it is, it's probably for guys that like you say....blow.
  3. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Neither of these guys are good enough at breaking tackles to be effective in our our offense.

[IMG]
  4. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

While I do agree Blount and Asiata are no better than Zenner as straight ahead runners at this point, I think that stat is deceiving. As was pointed out in the other thread, the Lions were last in yards to first contact. Which means most of the time they had a single defender meet them at the line of scrimmage and then had some room to run before the LBs or secondary was able to come in and finish the tackle. A guy like Blount had huge holes to run through and by the time a defender got to him there was already a gang of other tacklers there to help bring him down.
  5. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I don't see anything in the least bit misleading about the stats. When a Lions' RB gets the ball, he's hitting a wall and brought down before he even has a chance to meet that "gang of tacklers" waiting for Blount as you describe. Yet, they were still able to escape enough times to average roughly the same yards-per-carry as Blount (3.8, 3.9, 3.9).

We have more elusive backs who can break tackles. NE just has the better line. Only concession I'll give Blount is that, because of the better blocking, he didn't have to break or evade as many tackles. Whereas, if you're a Lion, you either figure that part out, or keep running in to the wall.

[IMG]
  6. TheDane Active Member

LOL, that's right, we good...
  7. TheDane Active Member

The Dumb Fucks here are priceless...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/01/analyst_lions_need_more_than_a.html

"It's just uncommon for a smaller back to be able to carry the load, from a durability standpoint," Brooks said. "Playing in that division and kind of having to be able to grind it out between the tackles, normally you're looking for a sturdier guy. He had some things that he does really well at Nebraska, but I always thought he'd be that receiving back, as opposed to that every-down back. And injuries have kept him from making the kind of contributions they were counting on.
    "They need someone that has a completely different style, or they need someone who can do both things and never has to come off the field."
  8. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Well if a grown man who goes by "Bucky" says so it must be true...
  9. TheDane Active Member

What does Barry Sanders think...LMAO

The Lions finished 30th in the NFL in rushing this season but actually averaged fewer yards per game (81.9) than they did when they ranked last in the NFL in 2015 (83.4).
    Starting running back Ameer Abdullah played in just two games before undergoing foot surgery. Top backup Theo Riddick missed six games with ankle and wrist injuries. Zach Zenner finished the playoffs as the Lions’ No. 1 running back.
    Sanders, who ran for 1,491 yards in 1998, his final NFL season and the last time the Lions finished in the top half of the league in rushing, said Abdullah still “has the potential to” be an every-down back, despite his injury problems.

Uh, has the "potential", boy it doesn't get anymore solid than that. And if they go this route again AA and Riddick will both get injured again.
  10. TheDane Active Member

But the running game is a stated priority, and frankly, an underrated priority. It’s ridiculous to invest so much money in Matthew Stafford — assuming Quinn wants to extend his contract — and not provide a quarterback’s most-important strategic weapon. The play-action pass is never a threat for the Lions because they’re never a threat to run, and you can spend the next two months debating whether the problem is the offensive line, the running backs or mere misfortune.
    On the run
    Do the Lions need a 1,500-yard rushing star in a league geared toward the passing game? No. But should they be able to run for a first down on third-and-1 at least once in our lifetime? That’d be nice. They ranked 30th in the league in rushing last season and have had one 1,000-yard rusher (Reggie Bush in 2013) in 14 years.
    The Lions have tried to get by on a series of Bush Lights, from Jahvid Best to Ameer Abdullah to Theo Riddick — quick, shifty and talented, and also smallish and injury-prone. Relying on Stafford and signing touted receivers such as Marvin Jones and Golden Tate is an incomplete strategy, and in slightly more than a year on the job, Quinn knows it.

Bob Wojnowski..The Detroit News

The dumb fuck should have known it before last season even started.
  11. TheDane Active Member

Fucking maroons...

Mike Mayock: Lions need a banger at running back

[IMG]
    If the Lions go after a banging running back, Stanford's Christian McCaffery might not be a fit. (AP File Photo)
    Print Email
    [IMG] By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com
    Follow on Twitter
    on February 27, 2017 at 3:01 PM, updated February 27, 2017 at 3:24 PM

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions haven't finished in the top 10 in rushing since the Barry Sanders days, but it hasn't been for a lack of trying. Just two years ago, they spent three of their first five picks on a guard, running back and fullback.
    It was an all-out assault to finally spark their running game. Instead, they finished last in the league, and were only marginally better last year at 30th.
    So, what do the Lions need to finally put together a competent running attack?
    "What they really don't have, I think, is that big banger that is the first-and-10 back, your fourth-quarter back," NFL draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "You've got pass-catchers, you've got quick guys, you've got fast guys, but I think you need that back, and they don't have that bigger back. From my perspective, carrying a big back, with what they have in house, would really help them."

They need a bigger back, what a fucking epiphany....
  12. TheDane Active Member

There's MORE? LOL, why...why yes...

Yahoo Sports reports the Lions are one of two teams, with the Giants, looking at adding ex-New England Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount.
    Blount is a touchdown machine, leading the NFL in rushing touchdowns in 2016 with 18 touchdowns. He was 8th in the NFL in rushing with 1,161 yards.
    Blount has 49 career touchdowns in 8 NFL seasons, the last two in New England, scoring 24 touchdowns.
    Blount could the power back the Lions need to accompany their two agility backs, Theo Riddick and Ameer Abdullah.

Power back, eh...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  13. TheDane Active Member

Are we done yet? Oh fuck no...

Pride of Detroit...

When he was drafted, the biggest knock on Ameer Abdullah was whether he could be an every down back, holding up to NFL punishment. The other big concern with him was ball control. With back to back seasons where one or both of those things were an issue, the team can’t afford to bank on his issues being surmountable. Theo Riddick’s ability as a pass catcher are obvious and rightly lauded, but he has been wasted as a rusher, and while he’s improved, it still isn’t enough to call even average. Zach Zenner came on at the end of the year when he was finally given his opportunity and while he isn’t a perfect running back, he has the ability to hit his assignments hard, catch out of the backfield, and block when called upon to do so. Dwayne Washington showed some promise against Chicago where he rushed for 4.0 YPC, but in the 10 other games he played he only hit that number once and was under 3.0 YPC in five of his 11 appearances. The blocking was a problem for everyone, but Dwayne Washington had fewer 4.0 YPC games (good games) than every running back on the roster except Abdullah and Forsett (who only played in two games each) and more sub 3.0 YPC games by a margin. Joique Bell was brought in late season due to injuries and had no impact. Mike James made a splash in 2013 when he debuted for the Buccaneers, but an injury sidelined him and he hasn’t reclaimed that promise since then.

Wait, did he say that Riddick, "has been wasted as a rusher"???? No Fucking Shit...
  14. TheDane Active Member

247 Sports...

What the Lions need most: Someone to carry the load. Like Bucky Brooks said last week, the Lions need a true crown jewel who can carry the load for the team. Can Abdullah be the guy with grit? It's hard to say. Obviously, Riddick and the others are complementary pieces.

I have no idea why all of these people who are sports writers and do this for a living think that we need to upgrade AA and we have a dumb fuck here who doesn't get it but has been arguing the point for how long now? LOL, what a fucking maroon....
  15. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

This should be a excellent test of the difference a offensive line makes they added two pro bowlers and have a LT that is trending that way, if they continue to struggle running the ball it will be either bad coaching of a offensive line that should be top 5 in talent or because the quality of talent at RB makes a bigger difference than the organization and some fans acknowledge, I still maintain that if Abdullah stays healthy RB talent should be no issue but if Zenner winds up with the most carries again we should be able to look at his YPA and other metrics and see just what a good offensive line can do for a running game.
  16. goldenlions International Playboy

The last thing you do to compliment your team is add that power back, the one that will do all the things some here describe. You don't start with them. Only a maroon would think otherwise. The team needs building, we were not just a RB away from competing for a championship.
  17. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Well, he is a NFL media analyst. hahahah

All I'm seeing here is just a bunch of loudmouth jackass journalists doing what they're paid to do. They understand their audience is the lowest common denominator fan. In other words, their audience is TheDane. So of course they're going to be spewing the most simplistic, easy-to-digest ideas, so Dane understand.

Every once in a while, a writer with half a brain will chime in on the subject with a reasoned point of view. And most of the time it goes unnoticed, because the "lowest common denominator fan" prefers the simple answer to the truthful and more thorough one. These "voice of reason" articles are usually labeled "Film breakdown." Because when one actually takes the time to re-watch the action and dissect what's there on film, the common theme of bad blocking is just right there in front of you.

Here are just a few such examples:

• ESPN put together team rankings for every positional group (Insider required), based on Football Outsiders’ metrics and scouting profiles. While the Detroit Lions did crack the top 10 at quarterback (No. 8) and special teams (No. 7), their new-and-improved offensive line did not make the top 10 list. I asked the author, Aaron Schatz, for a bit of an explanation. Here was his rationale:

[IMG]Aaron Schatz

@DetroitOnLion Right now it's "on paper." Run blocking horrendous last year.
  18. TheDane Active Member

Well the dumb fucks are out...LOL. The last thing this site needs is more stupid fucks that have no clue..NEXT dumb fuck. So we don't "start" with them because, dumb fucks say so? Nobody said that we needed to "start" with them. It WOULD however, be nice, if we got one SOMEWHERE along the line, like the 5th round LAST year. You know, the whole Howard and Dixon thing where we needed a long snapper instead of using a 6th round pick to move up. And this season, best draft for RB's in how many years and we passed once again. We aren't a RB away from competing for a championship, we ARE one RB away from having a RUNNING GAME. How do you dumb fucks even find your way out of the house in the morning?
  19. TheDane Active Member

I have no doubt that AA and the running game will do well if he is healthy. I also have no doubt that the running game is in trouble if he isn't. This will be an excellent test of whether Quinn should be a GM.
  20. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Sure. This all sounds great, but what are your metrics for determining if the backup's performance was adequate or not? Can we agree that averaging 4.0 yards per carry or higher is the measuring stick?

If the team is just flat-out winning with Riddick turning screens in to long gains like we did last year, does that count? Because if we're all just going to jump up and down every time our RB gains 100+ yards in a loss, then we could just become Bears fans.
  21. Strongbad Testicals... That is all.

This thread..... The one that tells me how i am to respond to the poster....... The one that is framed like a 3 year old asking when you stopped beating your wife....... Yeah that one. All I can say is bottom 3 in rushing. never top 10 in the last 16 years.
  22. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Okay, but what is it specifically about Abdullah? Why don't you think he's up to the task?

Yes, feelings. They matter.

I made this badge for you.

[IMG]
  23. TheDane Active Member

What have you got against 3 year olds?
  24. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Drafting a running back before having the ability to open lanes for the back or stop opposing backs is putting the cart before the horse. Obviously Bob Quinn feels the same way. I value his decision making after working with the Pats for years over a fan.

How many times do we need to read the same fucking thread and post over and over and over again????
  25. TheDane Active Member

Well, dumb fuck, you'll have to ask the guy who posted it to know the answer. In the meantime, I'm putting you in the, "our 31st in running running backs are fucking good enough", camp. Fucking maroons...