Why I like Matt Patricia

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Also too...

The guy needs players

Quinn hasn't exactly done a stellar job with player personnel
  2. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I will be interested to see what Patricia can do, he clearly knows how to game plan, is known for being resourceful with the personnel he has, and for people who don't want to pay elite talent he is their guy, but Vic is right Quinn needs to do his job and get him the pieces he needs, now that the dullard is gone I am excited to see if this team can give us a realistic shot at a super bowl.
  3. goldenlions International Playboy

Other than drafting a long snapper, what exactly has he done poorly? Not draft Kamara?
  4. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

Hard to say too much about the drafts yet, most looked good at the time I know some will knock selecting Tabor and not any RBs, as far as free agency I think people are questioning the OL signings as they looked poor in the first year, but personally my biggest gripe is not doing more for the DL. Overall I think it's too early but there are areas of concern.
  5. goldenlions International Playboy

I don’t see it, he has picked up or selected guys that are playing for this team,. Mark my words that Tabor pick is gonna look good in a year or two.

What I have come to realize about the whole RB thing is last year everyone was saying 2017 was the best RB class in a generation, yet now I am hearing that this class in 2018 may be even better. If that is true, who is the real smart one. Other than Kamara and Hunt, who shined as a rookie back (1st round guys doesn’t count)? Only a handful of RBs really did anything from this last rookie class, nothing more than other years.
  6. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Or Caldwell did not do a stellar job with the players supplied, which I think is the case.
  7. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Some truth, but you have to work some serious magic to produce with that DL. On positive side, Patricia did something like that with Pats DL this year.
  8. Roaring20 Member

This is something................

Matt Patricia May Not Hire DC With Lions
    January 21st, 2018 at 10:39am CST by Sam Robinson

• Matt Patricia is not certain to hire a defensive coordinator with the Lions, Volin notes. Patricia will run the Lions’ defense regardless. This was the job he was connected to throughout the offseason, and despite reports emerging the Giants had him among their finalists, Volin notes that wasn’t the case. McDaniels and Pat Shurmur are believed to be the only HC candidates the Giants were considering, per Volin.
  9. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Brian Flores expected to be promoted to DC for the Patriots.
  10. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Per sources, Lions are parting ways with well-regarded QBs coach Brian Callahan. That’s a bit of a surprise and he will have a market.

Interesting. Saw last week that they had denied interview requests for him last year.
  11. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

He sure did. I have been looking at the Patriots roster. The Patriots have 9 DLs on the team. 2 are UDFAs, 2 are 7th round picks, 2 are 4th round picks, 1 1st round pick, 1 2nd round pick, and 1 3rd round pick. So the Patriots kept Patricia on a pretty tight budget as far as DL.
  12. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

OC for the Titans maybe?
  13. TheDane Well-Known Member

Hey dumb fuck...http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/...ookie-running-backs-dominated-fantasy-in-2017

Oh fuck, I didn't use your disclaimers because only a dumb fuck would have them.

4th round..."While Williams didn’t start getting true looks until about Week 10, he still managed to rush for 556 yards on 153 attempts in 16 games, scoring four touchdowns and going over 100 yards rushing once. He also hauled in 25 receptions for 262 yards and two touchdowns. His 818 yards from scrimmage were the seventh most by a Packers rookie in franchise history. Over the final eight weeks of the season, only 10 NFL players had more yards from scrimmage than Williams."

Tabor is going to be good in a couple of years? You mean after 3 years we're going to like a 2nd round pick who barely contributed in his first year? What a dumb fuck. It was a stupid fucking pick. NOT picking any RB's was a fucking joke and the REASONING was even worse, that they felt good with AA and Riddick. How fucking stupid do you have to be to say that? There is stupid and then there's NFL stupid, and when the NFL is your job and you end up at the bottom because you are NFL stupid, you should be close to not having an NFL job.

Last years draft.."Finally, with pick No. 205 the Lions addressed their needs on the defensive line" No shit, finally. Hey, if you aren't going to take a RB why take a DL either?

2016, Taylor and Decker were a layup, talent met needs BUT he gets credit for not blowing the 2nd round pick. The rest was a C only because Zettle turned out and even though Glasgow was a reach and not great, he played every down last season.

10 picks and we needed a RB and then don't take one until the 7th and it's a guy who wouldn't have gotten drafted, neither would Landes or Rudock who they need to replace ASAP.

Fucking stupid but it was his first year, no excuse for last year passing on DL and RB.

14. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

You mean other than

Joe
    The Legend
    Mixon?

He fucked up by not drafting DL. Not that there was much there, but Larry Ogunjobi did pretty well for the Browns this year. Davis is a project player and a reach in the first round.

We didn't make the playoffs because of our weak DL. End of discussion.
  15. TheDane Well-Known Member

16. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Pffffffffffttttttttttt !!!!!!

That per-carry average sucks. He does practically no better behind a bad offensive line than AA.

Shit, that ain't nothin. Our line got a Head Coach with a winning record fired. Abdullah could only be so lucky.
  17. Vic Turner Just Sayin

Aside from Davis there hasn't been enough with the front 7 on the defense. Davis is super raw...The secondary is largely intact from when Quinn took over. That DL could not generate ANY pressure on the QB.

He has tried to address the OL, but spending on big FA's have not got it done. One would argue the need of a running back as well. My biggest beef is with the front 7 on defense, RB.... I agree with the coaching staff shake up. That was much needed.
  18. goldenlions International Playboy

To be fair, the Dline suffered a lot of injuries this year, not sure a rookie could have helped much. Easy to play hindsight on that one. I have already stated that he should have drafted a RB, not sure why people keep saying I didn’t, maybe I just think that the Oline and scheme matters way more than the RB, but apparently if you have that opinion you’re considered a “dumb fuck” by the biggest idiot on this board.
  19. TheDane Well-Known Member

Only a dumb fuck would think that the OL and scheme matter more than the RB and the last 3 years are proof. Not seeing that is what makes you a dumb fuck.
  20. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

YAWN
  21. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Our poor running game for 2017 was our RBs pure and simple. The lack of burst, vision, and long speed defined our RBs as the least elusive group in the NFL. When a UDFA comes in and starts by the end of the season (and has the best yds/carry average) it tells you how poor the talent level at RB had fallen. It has been this way for 2 years now and Quin needs to fix it big time.

As far as the scheme and technique used by our OL. It caused numerous injuries by overextending players. I mean at one time near the end of the season we had started eleven different combinations of OL for the season. Backups to the backups were injured on the sideline by the season end. That is on Ron Prince and Jim Caldwell mainly. They were both fired immediately after the season because of it. Is JBC culpable? Yes to some extent, As the OC, he did not have the knowledge or experience to fix the the run blocking scheme or technique problems prior to the beginning of the season.

P.S. A high draft pick used on a RB is an absolute necessity for the Lions. RB will provide the most value for this team to proceed as one of the best in the NFL.
  22. Felix True Fan

Why is it one or the other? Seems the scheme sucked AND the RBs sucked...there you go, everyones right...
  23. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

And OL. No one is blameless in this one.
  24. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

No one can tell me Riddick doesn't lack the ability to cut, or that Abdullah lacks the quickness/elusiveness to have at least an average running game. If you give one of these guys a seam, he'll find it and get yards.

Sorry. Saying otherwise doesn't make it true, just because you say it enough times.
  25. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Jim Bob deserves some of the blame too for his predictable vanilla play calling, especially when it came to the run game.