Why I like Matt Patricia

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, Jan 7, 2018.

1. TheDane Well-Known Member

And this is why the dumb fucks here shouldn't even be allowed to post. The same excuses year after year. LOL, dumb fucks...
  2. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

My 98-year old grandmother with her walker would have more yds/carry than this Lions RB group. This is unbelievable.
    Here is the problem with our RBs;

Abdullah - Never had long speed, relied on lateral agility and quickness to beat opposing defenses for short gains. Does not have the power to break tackles due to lack of size. Since he has injured his foot last year he has lost the relied burst and agility and is now a subpar back. I hope he can strengthen his foot/leg to regain his RB ability. If he does not, he needs to be replaced, and I would definitely grab a FA to compete for his place on the team

Washington - Lack of Vision and poor decision making is this kids downfall. Lacks natural instincts of a runner. He is lost cause and should be let go. He is CONSTANTLY INJURED!

Zenner - Slightly better vision, but lacks long speed. Ran with good power his Rookie year until his rib injury. Now is tentative lacking the commitment to engage. The Lions need to allow him to proceed with his medical career.

Riddick - Great Hands and route runner on 3rd down. Decent blocker for his size. Not a RB though. Lacks vision, lacks power, lacks burst. If we can find a more complete 3rd down back, we need to replace him.

Tion Green - Good vision, good size, good power, but lacks burst and long speed. Capable backup for short yardage and goal line.

IOW I would replace 4 out of the 5 backs. 2 in this draft would help to fill the bill and we definitely need a premier back with size, speed and durability to handle 15 to 20 touches per game. You only find that type of back in the 1st or early 2nd round.
  3. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Geezer, you yourself said in another thread the OL scheme and technique was shit. I get that you and Dane want to put all of the blame on the RBs, and that is fine, but I don't know how you can say there weren't other factors at play. I don't get the argument that, "It's been this way for years, so it must be the RBs."
  4. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

This is just a few of the reasons;

Not to be a dick, but our RBs don't have the ability to beat unblocked defenders one on one. Good RBs will do it all the time. They don't have the long speed to create long gains once in the open field and end up leaving a lot of yardage on the field. They lack the vision to see cutback lanes nor do they have the burst to take advantage if they do. Lack of long speed also allows the defense to cheat to the middle of the field between the tackles, because the opponent's DEs, OLBs and Safeties run faster than our RBs and can catch them before turning up field.
  5. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Riddick and Abdullah don’t have ability to beat defenders one on one?

Come on now. There’s definite criticisms to have with them, then being able to make guys miss in space is not one of them.
  6. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

So you draft another RB, put him behind a bad offensive line, and you've got yourself another Joe Mixon.

aka "Mister 3.5 Yards-per-carry."

Whoooopity - doooooo !!!!!
  7. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I am talking about this year, so I am sorry, I have to disagree. The games I watched this year they had difficulty getting away from anybody and were normally tackled by one one one defenders.
  8. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

Abdullah broke a tackle on 23 carries this year based on FO numbers. That would mean he forced a miss tackle on 14% of his carries. Similar to Ezekiel Elliot.Guys like McCoy and Bell are at 16%.

I mean I’d say he can be better for sure, but I think you also need to not be trying to break those tackles in the backfield so often.
  9. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Who they fired is telling. They fired Ron Prince the offensive line coach.

Reason Jim Bob was retained is because Prince was forced on him. And he was cleared out right away, because they view Prince as being the root of the running game's problems.

I don't think they fired the running backs coach.

The Lions seem to be in this never-ending cycle of buying time. Caldwell was hired and had Lombardi crammed in his face, which bought him at least a free season. Then Quinn was hired, and had Caldwell shoved down his throat, which bought him 2 years worth of a free pass. Caldwell forces Prince on Cotter which bought Cooter a few years' free pass. Now Patricia is inheriting Cooter which gives Patricia a few extra years.

Where does this end?
  10. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

I can agree with that. FO does rank our backs negatively at or near the bottom for DVOA and VOA and that is not good.
  11. tepod2001 Active Member

I thought this thread was about Patricia??? LOL
  12. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

No, every topic from here on out is running backs. All RBs, all the time.
  13. Felix True Fan

I like the beard...
  14. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

What about the pencil?
  15. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Latest news tonight is Cooter is indeed staying, and the QB coach Patricia wants is an up and comer who will eventually be a offensive coordinator in the league.
  16. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Which RB has a beard? LOL
  17. Liongeezer Ornery Old Fart

Where did you read this info at HB?
  18. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Great.

Now our O-coordinator is going to have a QB coach he doesn't want crammed down his face.

The more things change ...
  19. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Hate to be the one to say it, but he doesn't look too healthy.

I hope they buy him an exercise bike as a welcome gift.
  20. TheDane Well-Known Member

It wasn't this way when we had Bush and Bell, it HAS been this way ever since. Really? REALLY??? WTF, get your head out of your ass...
  21. Felix True Fan

I definitely appreciate someone who uses a pencil instead of a pen
  22. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough after Bush and Bell were gone was when Prince took over the O-line. You really think Bush at that stage in his career was that much better than Abdullah? I think with every one of your posts you convince me more it's not as much on the RBs so I guess I'm starting to agree with you.
  23. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I think they're the same back.

And Green is the same back as Bell.

The difference is Dom Raiola bulked up and suddenly started playing at a probowl level, just as Larry Warford was having a monster rookie season. Those guys opened up holes up the middle you could drive a truck through. And LaAdrian Waddle was holding it down before getting injured.

Exactly one productive season running the ball. Then Dom retires, Waddle goes down, Sims tanks. It's been nothing but a mess ever since.
  24. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

One of the reporters for mlive

It was his speculation that he thinks Patricia has a good target in mind for QB coach.
  25. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

An intriguing future #Lions defensive coordinator target has emerged: Boston College DL coach Paul Pasqualoni. A mentor to Matt Patricia, Pasqualoni could take a job on the staff after the Super Bowl. Potentially his third stint as an NFL DC.