Why I like Matt Patricia

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Rusty Hilger, Jan 7, 2018.

1. badnews3123 Well-Known Member

CB coach Tony Oden is out. Too bad, did great work with that group.
    TheDane likes this.
  2. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Rapaport reporting it, please no, we can and must do better than this.
  3. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

Well, do you think you know more than Patricia? Not being an asshole. I actually like your posts but we need to be realistic in what we know versus what he knows. He's been doing his job a loooong time. He likely knows what he wants and needs to succeed.
  4. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

I am going to support whatever he does for the time being, I wanted Matty P. If he says bring back Cooter fine, actually Cooter might not be all that bad, just need a good oline coach that knows what he is doing and draft a legit North South RB. If he wants this guy for DC, maybe he is actually a pretty good coach just hasn't stuck in the NFL somewhere. Maybe it will all fail in the end, hope not.
  5. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Yea, that just sounds like a Steve Mariucci prid-pro-quo loyalty hire.

Don't like that at all.
  6. lionsmack Right down the middle

When you think about it, Pasqualoni would be a pretty sensible pick.

- a guy who Patricia is very familiar with and will know inside and out what the plan is

- a veteran coach with HC experience who can provide mentoring to a first time HC

- an older guy who can hold the position for a couple of years while Patricia grooms another version of himself, some off the radar guy who can start at the ground floor

- the fact is, the defense is on Patricia no matter who he hires as DC. He might as well go for stability there instead of a sexy name

I figured from the beginning he'd need some kind of veteran coaching presence on the staff. This isn't a bad move at all.
  7. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Isn't that what pretty much all head coaches do? They hire "their guys". Personally, I like the idea of this better than the previous report that he wouldn't hire a DC at all.
  8. Who is best available for DC?
  9. Honolulublue4life Fan for life

Not sure if out there but
    @lions

plan to hire Jeff Davidson (offensive line), George Godsey (QBs) and Brian Stewart (DBs) to new coaching staff source tells
    @sportingnews
  10. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I like these hires. They all have coordinator experience. And they were all pretty good. Not a single one of them tanked, and offenses/defenses were in the top half of the league pretty consistently.

Godsey did a pretty decent job when you consider the talent he had to work with (Osweiller in Houston). And Stewart's Cowboys defenses were pretty solid. If they had done similar jobs with the Lions they'd be heros.
  11. Roaring20 Member