Young thread

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions Blitz' started by Felix, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

Your quoted material from me changes nothing. I still think that's what it is.

Now, find something that clearly shows where I adamantly stated that there was no...as in zip, nadda, none...mental illness.
  2. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

I'm going to pretend, for a second, that you want to engage in productive conversation. I'm sure you'll ruin that soon enough.

The thing that really bugs me about people like you and Felix is that you assume too much because we don't agree on all points. You guys want to think the larger contributing factor is some kind of mental illness. I won't deny that there's "some". In my opinion, because I see it all the time, I think the larger contributing factor is a social one. That doesn't mean there's no mental illness. Hell, I just got done explaining how some mental illnesses...as they're labeled today...stem directly from social problems.

And make no mistake about it. I am certainly not jealous of Titus Young. If I had half of his talent, I'd still be playing football...even if I did need a team of psychiatrists to keep me balanced.
  3. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

I will be the bad guy here and say I don't believe that mental illness should have any bearing on the consequences to breaking the law.
  4. Felix True Fan

Of course not....
  5. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

In her latter years, my grandmother had alzheimer's.

She was arrested because she wandered in to a stranger's home thinking it was her home. The house looked like hers and she honestly couldn't remember where she lived. The family was scared shitless to find her there.

They ultimately didn't press any charges, but are you saying that my grandmother should have gone to jail for breaking and entering or charged with trespassing?
  6. Huntermsu Mr. Negativity

If the homeowner wanted charges pressed, yes she should, that's a no harm no foul type thing that I doubt the homeowner would pursue. Did the fact she was losing her mind make the situation any less dangerous?.

Now lets say she wandered into the home and started a fire, are you saying she shouldn't be responsible?.
  7. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

I honestly don't know.

That's a real tough one. If someone proves to be dangerous to themselves and society, then I believe they should be in some way removed from general society and cared for in the process -- but I don't think the prison system (or criminal justice system in general) is the best way of achieving that end.

I have a hard time with the idea that they should be "punished," because to me that implies that they knowingly and deliberately did something wrong. I look at that sort of thing as more of a tragic misfortune caused by misfiring neurons in a person's brain. I don't think you could "blame" an individual for that any more than you could blame a power line that got blown over in a severe storm.
  8. TheDane Well-Known Member

Young was and will always remain sick, because this doesn't go away. I say it absolutely has a bearing on how he is ultimately judged.
    An alcoholic, to me, doesn't get a pass because it is a choice. BOTH are considered ill by the AMA.
    In the eye's of the law if you have to put either or both in jail to protect the public, that's what you do. Our prisons aren't full of people being punished, they are full of mentally ill people that the public needs to be protected from.
  9. K-Dawg Big Dawg Is Here!

While I DO agree with you that prison probably isn't the best place for the mentally disabled, or people suffering from illness that warps their sense of reality, I do want to throw one more situation into that grandma with alzheimer's.

Following the story, she went into the wrong house thinking it was hers, and ends up killing someone because she thought they were home invaders. In this instance, jail is not suited for her. But you can't put her in an every day, run of the mill elderly home because she is clearly a danger to others.

There must be SOMETHING that's in between a mental institution and jail. But then deciding who goes where gets tough, because I can see placing the grandmother in a place like that, and while Young clearly needs to be better supervised when it comes to his meds and what not, I don't think that suits a guy like him.

Jail MIGHT be the best place for a guy like Titus, because everything is regimented and controlled. He will take his pills every day, he will see a doctor, counselor, what have you, while he's there. And MAYBE spending a year there, and then released and given to the 'care' of a social worker, he could work his way back into the fold. If I remember correctly, I think Titus's father came out and spoke about Titus not taking his meds like he was supposed to, and that was the beginning of the spiral downward for him.
  10. Blaming Barry Well-Known Member

Can we move this thread to Mental Breakdowns?
  11. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

Don't agree. Obviously she wasn't a threat to anyone. Young on the other hand, anger was part of his mental issue. Big difference.
  12. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

But it's a reasonable excuse to not answer the man when the law comes knocking??? Haha
  13. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

Another bullshit...although popular mentality. Unfortunately, it's also one of the reasons why our country is so fukked up. I don't need protection from the mentally ill...or even criminals, for that matter. I need protection from being prosecuted for protecting myself.

Take Rusty's situation, for example. If I found his grandmother in my home, sure, I'd be startled at first. I wouldn't be scared. I wouldn't open fire on this frail old woman. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to figure out what was going on. I would also not press charges or want to see any harm come to her. I would want to see her taken care of and would likely suggest that the family do what is necessary to see that happen.

If someone like Titus Young broke into my home and I stumbled upon him, I'm sure I would be much more aggressive. Knowing what kind of shit head he is, I probably would have wound up shooting him.

In the first scenario...the mental illness was much more obvious. In the latter, he was likely aggressive, mouthy, and behaved as if he had every right to be doing what he was doing. In the first scenario, it's a shame that this can happen to otherwise good people. In the latter, the world is truly better off without them.

I still say his biggest problem is poor raising.
  14. def 2006 Money Ball Champion!

Wow go from what was it? A second round pick and multi-million dollar contract to straight up ghetto insanity. Raises the question about letting athletes slide. A major percentage of athletes, ESPECIALLY football players have a warped sense of reality. They aren't too bright to begin with and throw in money, stress, national spotlight, a lot of them lose their minds. The foundation on more NFL players is shakier than you all think!
  15. Felix True Fan

What?
  16. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

I'm assuming. You haven't taken a stance on what you think about the fact that it's been close to a year and he still hasn't answered for his crimes...all because he's claiming some kind of mental illness.

Maybe I missed it, but maybe all the arguing with me made it easy to miss.

I dunno.
  17. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

By comparison...

My daughter was mugged the Sunday after Christmas. It took Johnny Law a couple months to hunt this guy down and they caught him in February. Luckily for my family, he was caught doing some other things and he's going away for much longer than the robbery charge he got from mugging my daughter would allow. He was in jail and arraigned by the end of February. We just got a letter, telling us that he was going to be sentenced in mid July.

So, less than seven months later, they are wrapping up the process (minus any appeals) on this guy. By the way, he has a heroin addiction and, by today's standards, could have/could be (I don't know) playing the whole "I'm sick" racket. Still...less than seven months and it's all over with.

What's the hold up for Titus Young???
  18. Felix True Fan

I'm asking what because I don't know what youre asking me.
    Are you asking where I stand on him not being tried yet?
  19. Rusty Hilger VP, Wrist Cutter's Club

Sanders, I'm assuming Titus can afford a lot better lawyers than your run-of-the-mill street mugger / heroine addict. That much I'm pretty sure of. And unfortunately, in our society and with our criminal justice system, that can go pretty far.
  20. Vic Turner Just Sayin

One of the articles in this thread referenced a "spot on his brain" potentially causing some of this behavior.

You have to wonder what the hell the Lions are doing with the pre-draft physicals. Are they doing MRI's?
    Above is an insight on how some team evaluate risk of NFL players

I wonder what the Lions are doing, especially after drafting Best where they did with his history. Young's agent tried putting him into a hospital in Detroit, what did the Lions try to do to help?
  21. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

Kinda. I haven't see you take a stance on the fact that it's been a year and he's still not complying with the court dates given to him. For me, it's part of the reason I'm assuming that he's just an asshole, raised by permissive, slack ass parents. Where do you stand on the fact that it's been a year and he's still missing court dates???
  22. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

Yeah, but I think seven months is more than it should take. The guy was picked up in February. He is also being charged with federal firearms and drug trafficking charges. Even with all that shit complicating matters, he's still making his way through the system in less time than it has taken Titus Young to even show up for a court date.

You guys can say whatever you want...this is pure exploitation of the system and, whether you want to believe me or not, is typical of self absorbed, self centered people who have never really had to answer for their actions. Now that there's really no escaping it, they need to find an excuse. Mental illness is as readily available as it gets and the NFL and this concussion shit is just ripe for the pickin'.
  23. millenbacker !! JUST BREW IT !!

titus young got quite a few continuances if I'm not mistaken. he was able to skirt through things longer with a good lawyer. the guy who mugged your daughter, 7 months is too long, he likely spent it in jail and it will count towards his time but it sucks it takes so long. the system is definitely broke.
  24. Sanders97 #1 semi-fan.

Thank you for acknowledging that Titus Young is "skirting" things.

Seriously, I figured this was already taken care of. When I saw someone (probably Felix) bump the thread, I really thought he was just bored. I was kind of surprised that he STILL hasn't been to court over this.

The longer it takes, the more I'll be convinced that I'm right. He's a douche and he's looking for a way out of being held accountable for decisions that "HE" made...not some disease.
  25. Felix True Fan

Not bored, just read the article that had just come out...

And I haven't taken a stance because no one's asked me and until you brought it up, no one had raised the issue. The point you and I were discussing is whether TY has any mental disorders. You started by saying no, he was just an asshole, now you have backed off and have stated it's possible...I was kind of done with the conversation at that point...

But since you asked...

I think the law system in general favors those with money...I don't think this is a trait specific to TY being an asshole. He hasn't been in court, as far as I can tell, because he has been in treatment facilities. As far as I'm concerned, that's fine with me because he is off the street. If he were walking the streets a free man and just not showing up because, then I would agree with you.

I think the more interesting question is how the mental issues, treatment, etc play out in his trial and sentencing...